Open Joint Stock Company «Ilyushin Aviation Complex», operating as Ilyushin (Ilyushin) (Russian: Илью́шин) or Ilyushin Design Bureau, is a Russian design bureau and aircraft manufacturer, founded by Sergey Vladimirovich Ilyushin. Ilyushin was established under the Soviet Union. Its operations began on January 13, 1933, by order of P. I. Baranov, People's Commissar of the Heavy Industry and the Head of the Main Department of Aviation Industry. In Soviet/Russian nomenclature, aircraft from Ilyushin are prefixed Il. The head office of Ilyushin is located in Aeroport District, Northern Administrative Okrug, Moscow.
Aviation Industries Ilyushin is a subsidiary established in 1992 to act as Ilyushin's marketing and customer service arm.
Ilyushin has developed aircraft for widely varying roles over the years. The Russian government has merged Ilyushin with Mikoyan, Irkut, Sukhoi, Tupolev, and Yakovlev under a new company named United Aircraft Corporation.
In July 2014 it was reported that Ilyushin and Myasishchev would merge to form the United Aircraft Corporation business unit Transport Aircraft.
Notable Ilyushin aircraft include:
- I-21 fighter, 1936.
- Il-1 fighter prototype, 1944.
- Il-2 Sturmovik ground-attack aircraft, NATO codename "Bark", 1939, most-produced military aircraft of all time.
- Il-8, ground-attack prototype, 1943.
- Il-10, ground-attack aircraft, NATO codename "Beast", 1944.
- Il-16 ground attack prototype developed from the Il-10, 1945.
- Il-20 (1948) ground attack prototype, 1948.
- Il-40 "Brawny" jet-powered ground-attack prototype, 1953.
- Il-102 experimental jet-powered ground-attack aircraft, project cancelled, 1982.
- DB-3 long-range bomber, 1935.
- Il-4 "Bob" bomber/torpedo bomber developed from the DB-3, 1938.
- DB-4 long-range bomber, 1940.
- Il-6 long-range bomber prototype developed from the Il-4, 1942.
- Il-22 jet-powered bomber prototype, 1947.
- Il-28 "Beagle" and "Mascot" medium bomber/trainer, 1949.
- Il-30 tactical swept-wing bomber prototype developed from the Il-28, 1951.
- Il-46 jet-powered bomber prototype developed from the Il-30, 1952.
- Il-54 "Blowlamp" supersonic bomber prototype, 1955.
- Il-14 "Crate" twin-engined airliner developed from the Il-12, 1950.
- Il-18 "Clam" (1946) four-engined airliner prototype, 1946.
- Il-18 "Coot" turboprop airliner, 1958.
- Il-62 "Classic" long range jet airliner, 1962.
- Il-86 "Camber" medium-range wide-body jet airliner, 1977.
- Il-96 long-haul widebody airliner developed from the Il-86, 1988.
- Il-98 aerial refuelling variant of the Il-96.
- Il-100 light multi-purpose aircraft.
- Il-108 business jet prototype, project abandoned, 1990.
- Il-114 regional aircraft, 1999.
- Irkut MC-21 developmental short- to and mid-range jet airliner.
- Il-20M "Coot-A" ELINT/radar reconnaissance version of the Il-18
- Il-22 "Coot-B" airborne command post version of the Il-18.
- Il-24 "Coot-C" ice reconnaissance version similar to Il-20M, 1948.
- Il-38 "May" maritime patrol/anti-submarine warfare aircraft developed from the Il-18, 1971.
- Il-140 AWACS version of Il-114.
- A-50 Shmel (from Beriev), an AWACS variant of the Il-76, NATO codename "Mainstay", 1978.
- A-100 Premier (from Beriev), an AWACS variant of the Il-76MD-90A.
- Il-26 long-range bomber project, 1947.
- Il-36 Prototype
- Il-42 ground attack project
- Il-52 flying wing bomber project.
- Il-56 bomber project.
- Il-64 airliner project.
- Il-66 (1959) supersonic transport (SST) project, 1959.
- Il-66 military transport project.
- Il-70 short-haul airliner project, 1961.
- Il-72 supersonic airliner project developed from the Il-66, 1961.
- Il-72 (1964) medium-haul airliner project, 1964.
- Il-74 airliner project, 1966.
- Il-84 search and rescue variant of the Il-76, project cancelled, 1989.
- Il-90 proposed long-haul airliner, 1988.
- Il-118 proposed twin turboprop engine version of Il-18.
- Il-196 long range airliner project.
- A-60 experimental airborne laser laboratory developed from the Il-76MD, 1981.
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ilyushin.
Wichita Business Journal (blog)
Wichita Business Journal (blog)
Thu, 09 Apr 2015 08:58:02 -0700
Moscow-based Ilyushin Finance Co. said this week that it is re-evaluating its order for up to 49 CSeries passenger jets from Bombardier Inc. IFC, Bombardier's third-largest CSeries customer, cited mounting delays on the program and a lack of financing ...
Times of India
Sat, 25 Apr 2015 23:56:15 -0700
The transport squadron of 12 Wing, Air Force Station at Chandigarh has IL-76 (Ilyushin-76), a multi-engine heavy lift strategic airlift aircraft, and AN-32 (Antonov), a twin-engine medium lift tactical transport aircraft, which plays vital role in ...
Mon, 13 Apr 2015 22:26:15 -0700
Die Ilyushin Finance Corporation ist ein wichtiger Kunde von Bombardier. Vor 15 Monaten verlieh das russische Staatsunternehmen dem C-Ceries-Programm mit einer Bestellung von 32 Exemplaren des größeren Modells CS300 einen Schub. Damit ist sie ...
Wed, 22 Apr 2015 13:58:04 -0700
The problem came to international attention after Swedish authorities confirmed that in March last year a Scandinavian Airlines Boeing 737 carrying 132 passengers came within close proximity to a Russian reconnaissance aircraft, believed to be an ...
Aviation International News
Aviation International News
Mon, 20 Apr 2015 11:56:15 -0700
UAC president Yuri Slyusar briefs reporters at the Ilyushin design house in Moscow. (Photo: Vladimir Karnozov). Russia's United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) has set a goal to double its annual income and increase civil aircraft deliveries from 37 in 2014 ...
The Motley Fool Canada
Fri, 24 Apr 2015 06:41:15 -0700
Earlier this month, Moscow-based Ilyushin Finance Co. said that it is “re-evaluating” its CSeries order. This announcement should come as no surprise—Canadian sanctions against Russia are severely limiting financing options in that country, and ...
CAPA - Centre for Aviation
Thu, 23 Apr 2015 02:31:17 -0700
Aeroflot Group commence deployment of four Boeing 737-800, one Boeing 777-300 and two Sukhoi SSJ100 aircraft in 1Q2015 and retired four Boeing 737-800 and one Ilyushin Il-96 aircraft, resulting in a Group fleet of 260 aircraft. Aeroflot commenced ...
Tue, 21 Apr 2015 05:33:45 -0700
... demand for gross material pleasures, while today another empire may be heading towards trouble for similar reasons – artisans from the monastery at Sergiyev Posad worked on the gold trim in the cabin of Vladimir Putin's Ilyushin Il-96, one of his ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.