Open Joint Stock Company «Ilyushin Aviation Complex» , operating as Ilyushin (Ilyushin) (Russian: Илью́шин) or Ilyushin Design Bureau, is a Russian design bureau and aircraft manufacturer, founded by Sergey Vladimirovich Ilyushin. Ilyushin was established under the Soviet Union. Its operations began on January 13, 1933, by order of P. I. Baranov, People's Commissar of the Heavy Industry and the Head of the Main Department of Aviation Industry. In Soviet/Russian nomenclature, aircraft from Ilyushin are prefixed Il. The head office of Ilyushin is located in Aeroport District, Northern Administrative Okrug, Moscow.
Aviation Industries Ilyushin is a subsidiary established in 1992 to act as Ilyushin's marketing and customer service arm.
Ilyushin has developed aircraft for widely varying roles over the years. The Russian government has merged Ilyushin with Mikoyan, Irkut, Sukhoi, Tupolev, and Yakovlev under a new company named United Aircraft Corporation.
3.7.2014 and 25.7.2014 information from Board of Directors OAO Il about integration between Ilyushin and Myasishchev.
Notable Ilyushin aircraft include:
- I-21 fighter, 1936.
- Il-1 fighter prototype, 1944.
- Il-2 Shturmovik ground-attack aircraft, NATO codename "Bark", 1939, most-produced military aircraft of all time.
- Il-8, ground-attack prototype, 1943.
- Il-10 Shturmovik, ground-attack aircraft, NATO codename "Beast", 1944.
- Il-16 ground attack prototype developed from the Il-10, 1945.
- Il-20 (1948) ground attack prototype, 1948.
- Il-40 "Brawny" jet-powered ground-attack prototype, 1953.
- Il-102 experimental jet-powered ground-attack aircraft, project cancelled, 1982.
- DB-3 long-range bomber, 1935.
- Il-4 "Bob" bomber/torpedo bomber developed from the DB-3, 1938.
- DB-4 long-range bomber, 1940.
- Il-6 long-range bomber prototype developed from the Il-4, 1942.
- Il-22 jet-powered bomber prototype, 1947.
- Il-28 "Beagle" and "Mascot" medium bomber/trainer, 1949.
- Il-30 tactical swept-wing bomber prototype developed from the Il-28, 1951.
- Il-46 jet-powered bomber prototype developed from the Il-30, 1952.
- Il-54 "Blowlamp" supersonic bomber prototype, 1955.
- Il-14 "Crate" twin-engined airliner developed from the Il-12, 1950.
- Il-18 "Clam" (1946) four-engined airliner prototype, 1946.
- Il-18 "Coot" turboprop airliner, 1958.
- Il-62 "Classic" long range jet airliner, 1962.
- Il-86 "Camber" medium-range wide-body jet airliner, 1977.
- Il-96 long-haul widebody airliner developed from the Il-86, 1988.
- Il-98 aerial refuelling variant of the Il-96.
- Il-100 light multi-purpose aircraft.
- Il-108 business jet prototype, project abandoned, 1990.
- Il-114 regional aircraft, 1999.
- Il-20M "Coot-A" ELINT/radar reconnaissance version of the Il-18
- Il-22 "Coot-B" airborne command post version of the Il-18.
- Il-24 "Coot-C" ice reconnaissance version similar to Il-20M, 1948.
- Il-38 "May" maritime patrol/anti-submarine warfare aircraft developed from the Il-18, 1971.
- Il-140 AWACS version of Il-114.
- A-50 Shmel (from Beriev), an AWACS variant of the Il-76, NATO codename "Mainstay", 1978.
- A-100 Premier (from Beriev), an AWACS variant of the Il-76MD-90A.
- Il-26 long-range bomber project, 1947.
- Il-36 Prototype
- Il-42 ground attack project
- Il-52 flying wing bomber project.
- Il-56 bomber project.
- Il-64 airliner project.
- Il-66 (1959) supersonic transport (SST) project, 1959.
- Il-66 military transport project.
- Il-70 short-haul airliner project, 1961.
- Il-72 supersonic airliner project developed from the Il-66, 1961.
- Il-72 (1964) medium-haul airliner project, 1964.
- Il-74 airliner project, 1966.
- Il-84 search and rescue variant of the Il-76, project cancelled, 1989.
- Il-90 proposed long-haul airliner, 1988.
- Il-118 proposed twin turboprop engine version of Il-18.
- Il-196 long range airliner project.
- A-60 experimental airborne laser laboratory developed from the Il-76MD, 1981.
- Irkut MS-21 experimental short- to and mid-range jet airliner.
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ilyushin.
Russia Beyond the Headlines
Mon, 06 Oct 2014 09:31:53 -0700
The problem was solved by Sergei Ilyushin, who dropped the idea of fitting sheets that only added weight and decided to structure the plane itself from steel armor. The resulting Ilyushin Il-2 was designed so that the engine, cooling system, fuel tanks ...
Mon, 20 Oct 2014 10:26:15 -0700
MOSCOW, October 20 (RIA Novosti) - The Russian Ministry of Emergencies is sending two flights carrying humanitarian aid to Iraq, the ministry's spokesperson Alexander Drobyshevsky said Monday. "The first Ilyushin Il-76 aircraft will leave for Baghdad ...
Mon, 20 Oct 2014 07:03:45 -0700
“Air Force One is the one we are looking out for, as well as (Russian President) Vladimir Putin's Ilyushin Il-96,” he said. Mr Broad expects the Thursday before the conference starts, when many dignitaries are expected to land, will draw hundreds of ...
The Straits Times
The Straits Times
Fri, 17 Oct 2014 04:06:15 -0700
The cabin seats in the Ilyushin Il-18 were covered with a sky-blue coloured fabric, and its floors were carpeted in dark-blue. In place of shades were curtains, which passengers could draw across the windows to block out the light. Inside the Ilyushin ...
Australian Business Traveller
Mon, 13 Oct 2014 18:25:37 -0700
The cockpit in the Ilyushin Il-18 plane, a large turboprop airliner that first flew in 1957, is a long way from digital. Astonishingly, the flight's communication officer appears to sit in the passenger seating area and listens in to air traffic ...
Aviation International News
Aviation International News
Fri, 26 Sep 2014 05:26:31 -0700
Instead, the Russian defense ministry has revived the Ilyushin Il-112 project, a development of the Il-114 airliner, even though it was shelved in 2010 in favor of the less expensive An-140T. The An-140T is a ramp-loading version of the 52-seat An-140 ...
IHS Jane's 360
IHS Jane's 360
Tue, 14 Oct 2014 08:01:10 -0700
Embraer officials have previously told IHS Jane's that the company is not too worried about the Ilyushin and Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) Medium Transport Aircraft (MTA), as that developmental aircraft appears to be falling behind schedule to ...
U-T San Diego
Sat, 11 Oct 2014 13:38:53 -0700
... crashed in northwest Iran shortly after taking off from the capital, killing all 168 on board. A Russian-made Ilyushin 76 carrying members of the Revolutionary Guard crashed in the mountains of southeastern Iran in February 2003, killing 302 people ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter