Open Joint Stock Company «Ilyushin Aviation Complex», operating as Ilyushin (Ilyushin) (Russian: Илью́шин) or Ilyushin Design Bureau, is a Russian design bureau and aircraft manufacturer, founded by Sergey Vladimirovich Ilyushin. Ilyushin was established under the Soviet Union. Its operations began on January 13, 1933, by order of P. I. Baranov, People's Commissar of the Heavy Industry and the Head of the Main Department of Aviation Industry. In Soviet/Russian nomenclature, aircraft from Ilyushin are prefixed IL. The head office of Ilyushin is located in Aeroport District, Northern Administrative Okrug, Moscow.
Aviation Industries Ilyushin is a subsidiary established in 1992 to act as Ilyushin's marketing and customer service arm.
Ilyushin has developed aircraft for widely varying roles over the years. The Russian government has merged Ilyushin with Mikoyan, Irkut, Sukhoi, Tupolev, and Yakovlev under a new company named United Aircraft Corporation.
In July 2014 it was reported that Ilyushin and Myasishchev would merge to form the United Aircraft Corporation business unit Transport Aircraft.
Notable Ilyushin aircraft include:
- I-21 fighter, 1936.
- Il-1 fighter prototype, 1944.
- Il-2 Sturmovik ground-attack aircraft, NATO codename "Bark", 1939, most-produced military aircraft of all time.
- Il-8, ground-attack prototype, 1943.
- Il-10, ground-attack aircraft, NATO codename "Beast", 1944.
- Il-16 ground attack prototype developed from the Il-10, 1945.
- Il-20 (1948) ground attack prototype, 1948.
- Il-40 "Brawny" jet-powered ground-attack prototype, 1953.
- Il-102 experimental jet-powered ground-attack aircraft, project cancelled, 1982.
- DB-3 long-range bomber, 1935.
- Il-4 "Bob" bomber/torpedo bomber developed from the DB-3, 1938.
- DB-4 long-range bomber, 1940.
- Il-6 long-range bomber prototype developed from the Il-4, 1942.
- Il-22 jet-powered bomber prototype, 1947.
- Il-28 "Beagle" and "Mascot" medium bomber/trainer, 1949.
- Il-30 tactical swept-wing bomber prototype developed from the Il-28, 1951.
- Il-46 jet-powered bomber prototype developed from the Il-30, 1952.
- Il-54 "Blowlamp" supersonic bomber prototype, 1955.
- Il-14 "Crate" twin-engined airliner developed from the Il-12, 1950.
- Il-18 "Clam" (1946) four-engined airliner prototype, 1946.
- Il-18 "Coot" turboprop airliner, 1958.
- Il-62 "Classic" long range jet airliner, 1962.
- Il-86 "Camber" medium-range wide-body jet airliner, 1977.
- Il-96 long-haul widebody airliner developed from the Il-86, 1988.
- Il-98 aerial refuelling variant of the Il-96.
- Il-100 light multi-purpose aircraft.
- Il-108 business jet prototype, project abandoned, 1990.
- Il-114 regional aircraft, 1999.
- Irkut MC-21 developmental short- to and mid-range jet airliner.
- Il-20M "Coot-A" ELINT/radar reconnaissance version of the Il-18
- Il-22 "Coot-B" airborne command post version of the Il-18.
- Il-24 "Coot-C" ice reconnaissance version similar to Il-20M, 1948.
- Il-38 "May" maritime patrol/anti-submarine warfare aircraft developed from the Il-18, 1971.
- Il-140 AWACS version of Il-114.
- A-50 Shmel (from Beriev), an AWACS variant of the Il-76, NATO codename "Mainstay", 1978.
- A-100 Premier (from Beriev), an AWACS variant of the Il-76MD-90A.
- Il-26 long-range bomber project, 1947.
- Il-36 Prototype
- Il-42 ground attack project
- Il-52 flying wing bomber project.
- Il-56 bomber project.
- Il-64 airliner project.
- Il-66 (1959) supersonic transport (SST) project, 1959.
- Il-66 military transport project.
- Il-70 short-haul airliner project, 1961.
- Il-72 supersonic airliner project developed from the Il-66, 1961.
- Il-72 (1964) medium-haul airliner project, 1964.
- Il-74 airliner project, 1966.
- Il-84 search and rescue variant of the Il-76, project cancelled, 1989.
- Il-90 proposed long-haul airliner, 1988.
- Il-118 proposed twin turboprop engine version of Il-18.
- Il-196 long range airliner project.
- A-60 experimental airborne laser laboratory developed from the Il-76MD, 1981.
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ilyushin.
Wed, 15 Jul 2015 10:48:37 -0700
Russia's Ilyushin Finance Co. (IFC) is considering taking a 74% stake in Red Wings Airlines, IFC CEO Alexander Roubtsov confirmed, adding the lessor will make a final decision at a board meeting at the end of July. In June, IFC representatives said Red ...
Airfinance Journal (subscription)
Thu, 16 Jul 2015 02:11:15 -0700
Established in 1999, Russia's state-backed aircraft leasing company is the third-biggest customer by order book for the CSeries. Ilyushin put the Canadian manufacturer at the centre of its plans to diversify its portfolio when it placed a firm order ...
Mon, 13 Jul 2015 23:11:15 -0700
Red Wings (Russia) (WZ, Moscow Vnukovo) is in talks to sell a 74% stake to the Ilyushin Finance Co. (IFC) the CEO of the Russian leasing firm, Alexander Rubtsov, has said. Quoting the Ria Novosti news service, Russian Aviation news says the IFC has now ...
IHS Jane's 360
IHS Jane's 360
Mon, 03 Aug 2015 08:22:30 -0700
The Russian Air Force already operates about 10 An-140s, which were procured as a stop-gap when development of the Ilyushin Il-112 twin-turboprop was cancelled in 2010 (this programme has since been restarted to augment the An-140). The Russian ...
Mon, 03 Aug 2015 07:26:15 -0700
At a speed of 550 km/h they approached Ilyushin Il-78 hose-drogue two-point refueler flying at 5,000 meters altitude. An Ilyushin Il-78 Midas air force tanker and a Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-31 Foxhound fighter-interceptor. © Konstantin Chalabov / RIA Novosti.
Aviation International News
Aviation International News
Mon, 03 Aug 2015 09:18:45 -0700
For Exercise Indradhanush IV, the IAF deployed four Su-30MKIs from No 2 Squadron based at Tezpur to RAF Coningsby, assisted by mid-air refueling from an IAF Ilyushin Il-78 tanker. Logistics support was provided by an IAF C-17 and a C-130J, and these ...
Tue, 16 Jun 2015 23:45:00 -0700
Only a year ago Ilyushin Finance seemed in a very different position. A longstanding debate about its mixed ownership structure was finally poised for resolution. Negotiations remained active last summer with Bombardier about a proposal to buy 100 ...
Aviation Week (blog)
Aviation Week (blog)
Fri, 31 Jul 2015 07:19:02 -0700
The Flankers refueled from their Ilyushin Il-78 tanker during Indradhanush sorties. (Credit: Tony Osborne - Aviation Week). The Flanker pilots were also able to use their thrust-vectoring control (TVC) “super-maneuverability” capability activated by ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.