|Illinois State Redbirds|
|University||Illinois State University|
|Conference||Missouri Valley Conference|
|Athletic director||Larry Lyons|
|Varsity teams||17 (7 men's, 10 women's)|
|Football stadium||Hancock Stadium|
|Basketball arena||Redbird Arena|
|Baseball stadium||Duffy Bass Field|
|Fight song||Go, You Redbirds|
The Illinois State Redbirds are the athletic teams that represent Illinois State University in Normal, Illinois. Teams play at the NCAA Division I level (FCS in football). The football team competes in the Missouri Valley Football Conference while most other teams compete in the Missouri Valley Conference. The fight song is Go, You Redbirds.
|Men's Intercollegiate Sports||Team Article||Head Coach||Women's Intercollegiate Sports||Team Article||Head Coach|
|Baseball||Redbirds baseball||Bo Durkac||Basketball||Barb Smith|
|Basketball||Redbirds men's basketball||Dan Muller||Cross Country||Jeff Bovee|
|Cross Country||Jeff Bovee||Golf||Darby Sligh|
|Football [v 1]||Redbirds football||Brock Spack||Gymnastics [v 2]||Bob Conkling|
|Golf||Ray Kralis||Soccer||Eric Golz|
|Tennis||Mark Klysner||Softball||Melinda Fischer|
|Track & Field (Indoor & Outdoor)||Jeff Bovee||Swimming & Diving||Scott Cameron|
|Track & Field (Indoor & Outdoor)||Jeff Bovee|
Illinois State began its athletics program more than 100 years ago. The school, which had already been an NCAA Division I competitor for a decade, left behind its independent status in 1980 and affiliated itself with the Missouri Valley Conference. From 1981-92, Redbird women's teams competed under the Gateway Conference banner before women's sports were absorbed into the Missouri Valley Conference.
From approximately 1910-1970, Illinois State was affiliated with the Illinois Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
Athletics at Illinois State consists of 19 intercollegiate sports, having won 125 league titles in 23 years.
Today, 17 of the 19 Redbird sports compete in the Missouri Valley Conference, with the football team playing in the Missouri Valley Football Conference, formerly known as the Gateway Conference. On 7 April 2015, 7 died when a privately-owned Cessna 414 carrying Redbirds men's basketball coach Torrey Ward and the Deputy Director of Athletics Aaron Leetch crashed. The plane crashed in a soybean field outside of Central Illinois Regional Airport in McLean County.
Conference Title: 1983, 1990, 1993, 1997, 1998 NCAA Appearances: 1983, 1984, 1985, 1990, 1997, 1998
- In 2008 they reached the NIT with a 25-10 record, They won their first round game as a 2 seed but ended up losing to Dayton in the 2nd round.
- In 2009 they reached the NIT. They faced Kansas State in the first round and lost in overtime.
- In 2010 the Redbirds once again made it to the National Invitation Tournament as a 7 seed. They traveled to Dayton, Ohio to take on the eventual 2010 NIT champion Flyers.
- In 2012 the Redbirds made it to the NIT Tournament. They defeated Ole Miss in the first round, but lost to eventual 2012 NIT champion Stanford.
Conference Title: 1983, 1989, 2005, 2008, 2009 NCAA Appearances: 1983, 1985, 1989, 2005, 2008
- In 2008 the women made it to the NCAA tournament with a 26-6 record as a 13 seed but lost first round to the Oklahoma
- During the 2007-2008 season, former Head Coach Dr. Jill Hutchinson was recognized for her pioneering work in the advancement of women’s basketball. A banner was hung from the rafters at Redbird Arena in her honor.
- 2009 Kristi Cirone becomes the all-time leading scorer.
- December 28, 2009 Kristi Cirone's No. 10 jersey was retired at Redbird Arena. Redbird Women's Basketball
- Reached Semifinals in the 2009, 2010, and 2011 postseason WNIT. Lost in the second round of the 2012 postseason WNIT.
Missouri Valley Football Conference title: 1999, 2014
NCAA Division I Football Championship playoffs: 1998, 1999, 2006, 2012, 2014
|November 23, 1950||Corn Bowl||Missouri-Rolla||7||Illinois State||6|
|December 4, 1999||Pecan Bowl||Illinois State||37||Hofstra||20|
|December 1, 2006||Pecan Bowl||Youngstown State||28||Illinois State||21|
- The 1999 & 2006 the Midwest Region Championship (FCS Quarterfinal) was referred to as the Pecan Bowl
- In 1999 the Redbirds football team advanced to the Final Four and finished 3rd in the AP poll.
- Illinois State holds the NCAA Division I-AA record for the most tied football games with 66.
- Doug Collins Court at Redbird Arena - main indoor arena.
- Hancock Stadium - football stadium.
- Duffy Bass Field - baseball field.
- Adelaide Street Field - soccer field.
- McCormick Courts - outdoor tennis courts.
- Marian Kneer Softball Stadium - softball field.
- D.A. Weibring Golf Club - golf course.
- Horton Field House
- Evergreen Racquet Club - indoor tennis court.
Notable former athletes
- Doug Collins - NBA broadcaster, head coach, player and Olympian.
- Tarise Bryson - Harlem Globetrotters (1998-2002)
- Dave Bergman - retired Major League Baseball player and World Series Champion (1984)
- Aveion Cason - National Football League Running back
- Matt Herges - Major League Baseball pitcher for the Florida Marlins and Cleveland Indians
- Rico Hill - star guard led ISU to two straight NCAA berths and played for the Los Angeles Clippers and in Europe
- Mike Prior - Former National Football League player and part of Green Bay Packers team that won Super Bowl XXXI
- Dennis Nelson - Former National Football League player and part of Baltimore Colts team that won Super Bowl V
- Lorene Ramsey - Former Women's Basketball coach of Illinois Central College, who with a career record of 887-197
- Laurent Robinson - Current Free Agent- Former NFL Wide Receiver with the Dallas Cowboys and the Jacksonville Jaguars. Selected in the 3rd round (75th overall) in the 2007 NFL Draft.
- Dan Kolb - Major League Baseball relief pitcher
- D. A. Weibring - Professional golfer on the PGA Tour
- Boomer Grigsby - National Football League Fullback
- Steve Fisher - Current basketball coach at San Diego State, head coach of 1989 National Championship Michigan Wolverines men's basketball team
- Lee "Buzz" Capra - former Atlanta Braves pitcher who led the National League in Earned Run Average in 1973
- Kevin Glenn - Canadian Football League quarterback for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats
- Cathy Boswell- College Basketball All American and 1984 USA Gold Medalist for Women's Basketball.
Basketball starters introduced
- "Illinois State Athletics". Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- Statement From Illinois State Athletics
- Plane returning from NCAA title game crashes, killing 7 including Illinois State coach
- "COL BKB (W): USC 63, Illinois St. 36 - UPI.com". UPI. Retrieved 19 September 2014.
- DeLassus, David. "Division I-AA All-Time Wins". College Football Data Warehouse. Retrieved April 12, 2011.
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.