Location of Hirvensalmi in Finland
|• Municipal manager||Seppo Ruhanen|
|• Total||746.58 km2 (288.26 sq mi)|
|• Land||465.38 km2 (179.68 sq mi)|
|• Water||281.2 km2 (108.6 sq mi)|
|Area rank||166th largest in Finland|
|• Rank||274th largest in Finland|
|• Density||4.86/km2 (12.6/sq mi)|
|Population by native language|
|• Finnish||98.8% (official)|
|Population by age|
|• 0 to 14||14.2%|
|• 15 to 64||57.9%|
|• 65 or older||27.9%|
|Time zone||EET (UTC+2)|
|• Summer (DST)||EEST (UTC+3)|
|Municipal tax rate||19.5%|
It is located in the province of Eastern Finland and is part of the Southern Savonia region. The municipality has a population of 2,262 (31 March 2016) and covers an area of 746.58 square kilometres (288.26 sq mi) of which 281.2 km2 (108.6 sq mi) is water. The population density is 4.86 inhabitants per square kilometre (12.6/sq mi).
Hirvensalmi is often said to be an island municipality. Most people live on the mainland, but living on an island is not unheard of. Most islands, though, are only inhabited during the summer holidays, when holidaymakers come mainly from Southern Finland and double the population of Hirvensalmi. In the north lake Puula marks the border of Hirvensalmi and Kangasniemi, and in the west lake Suontee separates it from Joutsa.
The municipality is unilingual Finnish.
Hirvenlahti, Hirvensalmi, Hämeenmäki, Kekkola, Kilkki, Kissakoski, Kotkatvesi, Kuitula, Lahnaniemi, Lelkola, Malvaniemi, Monikkala, Noitti, Pääskynsaari, Suonsalmi, Syväsmäki, Vahvamäki, Vahvaselkä, and Väisälä.
- "Area by municipality as of 1 January 2011" (PDF) (in Finnish and Swedish). Land Survey of Finland. Retrieved 9 March 2011.
- "Ennakkoväkiluku sukupuolen mukaan alueittain, maaliskuu.2016" (in Finnish). Statistics Finland. Retrieved 31 March 2016.
- "Population according to language and the number of foreigners and land area km2 by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 29 March 2009.
- "Population according to age and gender by area as of 31 December 2008". Statistics Finland's PX-Web databases. Statistics Finland. Retrieved 28 April 2009.
- "List of municipal and parish tax rates in 2011". Tax Administration of Finland. 29 November 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
Media related to Hirvensalmi at Wikimedia Commons
- Municipality of Hirvensalmi – Official site (Finnish)
|This Eastern Finland location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|