The Herring Run is an 11.1-mile-long (17.9 km) tributary of the Back River located in Baltimore, Maryland.
The 31-square-mile (80 km2) watershed has its headwaters in Towson, Maryland, and flows through Baltimore and Baltimore County before discharging into the Back River, which empties into the Chesapeake Bay. The principal tributaries of Herring Run are the Western Branch, Chinquapin Run, Tiffany Run, Armistead Run, Biddison Run, Moores Run and Redhouse Run. The total length of the Herring Run main stem and tributaries is over 41 miles (66 km).
The Maryland Department of the Environment has listed the Herring Run as an impaired tributary, due to the elevated amounts of fecal coliform bacteria found in it. Nonetheless, efforts continue to improve the stream's water quality.
Herring Run Watershed Association
The Herring Run Watershed Association (HRWA) was founded in 1978 (originally as the Friends of Northeast Parks and Streams) and is now a fully staffed 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to stewarding the watershed. Its efforts include stream cleanups; stream plantings; rain barrel distribution; resident education; green jobs creation; advocacy, and running a native plant nursery.
In 2008, HRWA completed construction on the Herring Run Watershed Center, a state-of-the-art green building that serves as the organization's headquarters and education center. Designed by Ziger/Snead Architects and built by Baltimore Green Construction, the Watershed Center was the first LEED-NC building in Baltimore City, winning a "Gold" designation from the United States Green Building Council.
It merged with four other groups to form Blue Water Baltimore in 2010.
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey. National Hydrography Dataset high-resolution flowline data. The National Map, accessed April 1, 2011
- ^ Herring Run Watershed Association (HRWA). Baltimore, MD. "Learn About the Watershed." Accessed 2010-05-03.
- ^ Maryland Department of the Environment. Baltimore, MD (2007). "Total Maximum Daily Loads of Fecal Bacteria for the Herring Run Basin in Baltimore City and Baltimore County, Maryland." June 2007.
- ^ Baltimore County Department of Environmental Protection and Resource Management (DEPRM), Towson, MD (2010). "Tidal Back River Small Watershed Action Plan." February 2010.
- ^ HRWA. "Mission." Accessed 2010-05-03.
- ^ HRWA. "Accomplishments." Accessed 2010-05-03.
- ^ Novotney, Amy (2008). "Space: Water, Water Everywhere. The Herring Run Watershed Association’s new headquarters is both budget- and water-conscious." UrbaniteBaltimore.com, August 2008.
- ^ Kobell, Rona (2006-09-22). "Planting the seeds for a cleaner neighborhood: Watershed group spurs grass-roots effort to tidy up community and Herring Run". Baltimore Sun.
Coordinates: 39°18′27″N 76°31′10″W / 39.307607°N 76.519408°W
Mon, 08 Dec 2014 08:38:45 -0800
It seems that the Herring Run dumping incident was such a non-starter that the Baltimore Police Department didn't even file an incident report about it. Code Enforcement, however, has offered to provide training to police officers on how to better ...
Tue, 25 Nov 2014 06:40:06 -0800
On Friday, residents were cheering housing officials for acting quickly to stop illegal dumpers at Herring Run Park, but questioning why a police officer on the scene declined to take action, saying he had no jurisdiction. Simply put, the officer “was ...
Western Morning News
Western Morning News
Sun, 14 Dec 2014 10:00:34 -0800
They're on the run! That's how fishermen of old would hail the vast incoming shoals of herring that plied their silvery way up the Bristol Channel from Clovelly to Watchet in days of yore when massive catches were hauled and highly prized. And now they ...
Wicked Local Pembroke
Sun, 21 Dec 2014 08:39:50 -0800
The Pembroke 300th celebrations, her carbon monoxide detector program, improvements at local Herring Run Park or restoration of our weekend commuter rail service to name a few. We can also take pride that as our state senator Sen. Murray broke through ...
Thu, 21 Aug 2014 14:56:29 -0700
City officials said Thursday they are investigating a fish kill in a Northeast Baltimore creek that flows through Herring Run Park, where users of the park and streamside trail expressed dismay. "This is ridiculous," said Donald Cooper, who stopped ...
Mon, 15 Dec 2014 09:15:00 -0800
The current Fresh River was previously called Herring Run for its active fish population. Years of sediment that has built up and overgrowth between the ocean and Sider's Pond will need to be addressed to preserve this dominant link to commercial heritage.
Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:24:59 -0800
The Natural History Society of Maryland had a recent meetup lead by biologist Nick Spero in Herring Run Park. They were searching for wild mushrooms, but with the warning not to eat any mushroom that you cannot identify. They found many like Pleurotus ...
Wed, 08 Oct 2014 08:48:21 -0700
The Oslo Store building, a landmark for Norskes and non-Norskes alike for decades, was being pulled apart Tuesday morning. Back in the day, the store was a general store and a fantastic place to buy lutefisk and herring. Buy this photo ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.