The Herring Run is an 11.1-mile-long (17.9 km) tributary of the Back River located in Baltimore, Maryland.
The 31-square-mile (80 km2) watershed has its headwaters in Towson, Maryland, and flows through Baltimore and Baltimore County before discharging into the Back River, which empties into the Chesapeake Bay. The principal tributaries of Herring Run are the Western Branch, Chinquapin Run, Tiffany Run, Armistead Run, Biddison Run, Moores Run and Redhouse Run. The total length of the Herring Run main stem and tributaries is over 41 miles (66 km).
The Maryland Department of the Environment has listed the Herring Run as an impaired tributary, due to the elevated amounts of fecal coliform bacteria found in it. Nonetheless, efforts continue to improve the stream's water quality.
Herring Run Watershed Association
The Herring Run Watershed Association (HRWA) was founded in 1978 (originally as the Friends of Northeast Parks and Streams) and is now a fully staffed 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to stewarding the watershed. Its efforts include stream cleanups; stream plantings; rain barrel distribution; resident education; green jobs creation; advocacy, and running a native plant nursery.
In 2008, HRWA completed construction on the Herring Run Watershed Center, a state-of-the-art green building that serves as the organization's headquarters and education center. Designed by Ziger/Snead Architects and built by Baltimore Green Construction, the Watershed Center was the first LEED-NC building in Baltimore City, winning a "Gold" designation from the United States Green Building Council.
It merged with four other groups to form Blue Water Baltimore in 2010.
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey. National Hydrography Dataset high-resolution flowline data. The National Map, accessed April 1, 2011
- ^ Herring Run Watershed Association (HRWA). Baltimore, MD. "Learn About the Watershed." Accessed 2010-05-03.
- ^ Maryland Department of the Environment. Baltimore, MD (2007). "Total Maximum Daily Loads of Fecal Bacteria for the Herring Run Basin in Baltimore City and Baltimore County, Maryland." June 2007.
- ^ Baltimore County Department of Environmental Protection and Resource Management (DEPRM), Towson, MD (2010). "Tidal Back River Small Watershed Action Plan." February 2010.
- ^ HRWA. "Mission." Accessed 2010-05-03.
- ^ HRWA. "Accomplishments." Accessed 2010-05-03.
- ^ Novotney, Amy (2008). "Space: Water, Water Everywhere. The Herring Run Watershed Association’s new headquarters is both budget- and water-conscious." UrbaniteBaltimore.com, August 2008.
- ^ Kobell, Rona (2006-09-22). "Planting the seeds for a cleaner neighborhood: Watershed group spurs grass-roots effort to tidy up community and Herring Run". Baltimore Sun.
Coordinates: 39°18′27″N 76°31′10″W / 39.307607°N 76.519408°W
Thu, 22 Jan 2015 15:26:15 -0800
A feeding frenzy is under way in Sausalito, where birds, porpoises and crabs are vying alongside fishermen to get a piece of the largest herring run in continental U.S. waters. Schools of the small silver-blue fish, best known for their tasty roe, have ...
Wed, 21 Jan 2015 16:25:31 -0800
Peter Ruppert transfers herring into a bucket while fishing during the herring run in Sausalito, Calif. on Wednesday, January 21, 2015. (Scott Strazzante/SF Chronicle). Herring are swarming in Richardson Bay right now, attracting hungry wildlife like ...
Vallejo Times Herald
Wed, 28 Jan 2015 18:15:00 -0800
Fort Baker was chosen because of the large herring run currently underway. That provides a food source for the released birds. More of the birds are being cleaned and will be released in the coming days. The source of the goo — which affected more ...
Mon, 26 Jan 2015 10:11:15 -0800
Judi Urquhart and Stephen Peters, partners at Herring Run Communications Group, will focus on the subject of data mining on Wednesday, January 28, part of the Falmouth Chamber of Commerce's continuing business education series. The series is held on ...
Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:24:59 -0800
The Natural History Society of Maryland had a recent meetup lead by biologist Nick Spero in Herring Run Park. They were searching for wild mushrooms, but with the warning not to eat any mushroom that you cannot identify. They found many like Pleurotus ...
Wed, 08 Oct 2014 08:48:21 -0700
The Oslo Store building, a landmark for Norskes and non-Norskes alike for decades, was being pulled apart Tuesday morning. Back in the day, the store was a general store and a fantastic place to buy lutefisk and herring. Buy this photo ...
Wicked Local Pembroke
Fri, 16 Jan 2015 04:34:06 -0800
Boulter cited the proposed work at the herring run park as another important project. Selectmen Chairman Dan Trabucco said the work is important because the requirements aren't optional. “It's the law and the town of Pembroke has to comply with the law ...
Baltimore City Paper
Tue, 06 Jan 2015 10:11:15 -0800
The level of investment is divided unevenly among the city's watersheds: The Back River watershed, of which the Herring Run is the main city tributary, is set to host 28 projects totaling nearly $35 million, followed by the Gwynns Falls (20 projects ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.