The Herring Run is an 11.1-mile-long (17.9 km) tributary of the Back River located in Baltimore, Maryland.
The 31-square-mile (80 km2) watershed has its headwaters in Towson, Maryland, and flows through Baltimore and Baltimore County before discharging into the Back River, which empties into the Chesapeake Bay. The principal tributaries of Herring Run are the Western Branch, Chinquapin Run, Tiffany Run, Armistead Run, Biddison Run, Moores Run and Redhouse Run. The total length of the Herring Run main stem and tributaries is over 41 miles (66 km).
The Maryland Department of the Environment has listed the Herring Run as an impaired tributary, due to the elevated amounts of fecal coliform bacteria found in it. Nonetheless, efforts continue to improve the stream's water quality.
Herring Run Watershed Association
The Herring Run Watershed Association (HRWA) was founded in 1978 (originally as the Friends of Northeast Parks and Streams) and is now a fully staffed 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to stewarding the watershed. Its efforts include stream cleanups; stream plantings; rain barrel distribution; resident education; green jobs creation; advocacy, and running a native plant nursery.
In 2008, HRWA completed construction on the Herring Run Watershed Center, a state-of-the-art green building that serves as the organization's headquarters and education center. Designed by Ziger/Snead Architects and built by Baltimore Green Construction, the Watershed Center was the first LEED-NC building in Baltimore City, winning a "Gold" designation from the United States Green Building Council.
It merged with four other groups to form Blue Water Baltimore in 2010.
- ^ U.S. Geological Survey. National Hydrography Dataset high-resolution flowline data. The National Map, accessed April 1, 2011
- ^ Herring Run Watershed Association (HRWA). Baltimore, MD. "Learn About the Watershed." Accessed 2010-05-03.
- ^ Maryland Department of the Environment. Baltimore, MD (2007). "Total Maximum Daily Loads of Fecal Bacteria for the Herring Run Basin in Baltimore City and Baltimore County, Maryland." June 2007.
- ^ Baltimore County Department of Environmental Protection and Resource Management (DEPRM), Towson, MD (2010). "Tidal Back River Small Watershed Action Plan." February 2010.
- ^ HRWA. "Mission." Accessed 2010-05-03.
- ^ HRWA. "Accomplishments." Accessed 2010-05-03.
- ^ Novotney, Amy (2008). "Space: Water, Water Everywhere. The Herring Run Watershed Association’s new headquarters is both budget- and water-conscious." UrbaniteBaltimore.com, August 2008.
- ^ Kobell, Rona (2006-09-22). "Planting the seeds for a cleaner neighborhood: Watershed group spurs grass-roots effort to tidy up community and Herring Run". Baltimore Sun.
Coordinates: 39°18′27″N 76°31′10″W / 39.307607°N 76.519408°W
Fri, 27 Feb 2015 09:26:15 -0800
In addition to incumbent James W. Pierce of Foster Road in East Sandwich, they included Peter Beauchemin of Herring Run in East Sandwich, David L. Darling of Old County Road in East Sandwich, and Timothy W. Paul of Fairway Circle in Sandwich.
Thu, 22 Jan 2015 15:26:15 -0800
A feeding frenzy is under way in Sausalito, where birds, porpoises and crabs are vying alongside fishermen to get a piece of the largest herring run in continental U.S. waters. Schools of the small silver-blue fish, best known for their tasty roe, have ...
Mon, 08 Dec 2014 08:38:45 -0800
It seems that the Herring Run dumping incident was such a non-starter that the Baltimore Police Department didn't even file an incident report about it. Code Enforcement, however, has offered to provide training to police officers on how to better ...
Sun, 22 Feb 2015 07:11:15 -0800
I had never seen elvers in the flesh until I was checking out a local herring run in late March a few years ago. I noticed some in the freshwater pond above the dam. Maybe I had never really looked for them, but the more I looked, the more elvers I saw.
Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:24:59 -0800
The Natural History Society of Maryland had a recent meetup lead by biologist Nick Spero in Herring Run Park. They were searching for wild mushrooms, but with the warning not to eat any mushroom that you cannot identify. They found many like Pleurotus ...
Wed, 04 Feb 2015 09:26:15 -0800
"In southeast Alaska, you get humpback whales feeding on the herring run, which comes around April or May. These humpback whales swim all the way from Hawaii to feed. They swim beneath the fish, as a pod of whales and they swim in a circle, blowing ...
Thu, 12 Feb 2015 10:56:15 -0800
The 6-foot-10 Dedmon grew up next to Herring Run Park in Northeast Baltimore. His father, Leroy, was a Baltimore City police lieutenant who grew up in North Carolina and is one of the reasons why Lee went to Carolina. His mother, Ruth, was another.
Sun, 08 Feb 2015 10:36:23 -0800
The group walked west beside a herring run that was swollen with snow melt, and then headed south on a woodland path in the direction of Bourne Farm. Ms. Cornell, a retired science and outdoor educator, said she enjoys the transparency of the woods in ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.