The tower of the Olympic Stadium
The Olympiastadion (Finnish: Helsingin Olympiastadion; Swedish: Helsingfors Olympiastadion), located in the Töölö district about 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) from the centre of the Finnish capital Helsinki, is the largest stadium in the country, nowadays mainly used for hosting sports events and big concerts. The stadium is best known for being the centre of activities in the 1952 Summer Olympics. During those games, it hosted athletics, equestrian show jumping, and the football finals.
The stadium was also the venue for the first World Athletics Championships in 1983 as well as for the 2005 World Championships in Athletics. It hosted the European Athletics Championships in 1971, 1994 and 2012.
It is also the home stadium of the Finland national football team.
The Stadium will close temporarily in 2015 for renovation works and will reopen in 2019.
The Olympic Stadium was designed in functionalistic style by the architects Yrjö Lindegren and Toivo Jäntti. Construction of the Olympic Stadium began in 1934 and it was completed in 1938, with the intent to host the 1940 Summer Olympics, which were moved from Tokyo to Helsinki before being cancelled due to World War II. It hosted the 1952 Summer Olympics over a decade later instead. The stadium was also to be the main venue for the cancelled 1943 Workers' Summer Olympiad.
It was the venue for the first ever Bandy World Championship in 1957.
The stadium was completely modernized in 1990–1994 and also renovated just before the 2005 World Championships in Athletics.
In 2006 an American TV series, The Amazing Race 10, had one of its episodes ending at The Olympic Stadium Tower. As a task, teams had to do a face-first rappel (known as the Angel Dive) down the Helsinki Olympic Tower.
Since March 2007, a Eurasian eagle-owl has been spotted living in and around the stadium. On June 6, 2007, during a Euro 2008 qualifying match, the owl delayed play by ten minutes after perching on a goalpost. The owl was later christened Bubi and was named as Helsinki's Resident of the Year.
The 50th anniversary of the Helsinki Olympic Games hosted in the Helsinki Olympic Stadium was the main motif for one of the first Finnish euro silver commemorative coins, the 50th anniversary of the Helsinki Olympic Games commemorative coin, minted in 2002. On the reverse, a view of the Helsinki Olympic Stadium can be seen. On the right, the 500 markka commemorative coin minted in 1952 celebrating the occasion is depicted.
The stadium's spectator capacity was at its maximum during the 1952 Summer Olympics with over 70,000 spectator places. Nowadays the stadium has 40,600 spectator places. During concerts, depending on the size of the stage, the capacity is 45,000–50,000.
The tower of the stadium, a distinct landmark with a height of 72.71 metres (238.5 ft), taken from gold-medal winning result of Matti Järvinen in javelin throw of 1932 Summer Olympics, is open for visitors and offers impressive views over Helsinki. It is possible to see into the adjacent Sonera Stadium.
A Youth Hostel is located within the Stadium complex.
The stadium will undertake major renovation starting in 2016. The stadium will be closed during the construction and will reopen in 2019. During renovation all the spectator stands will be covered with canopies and the field area and the tracks will be renewed. It will also offer extended restaurant areas and more indoor sport venues. 
Projected costs for the renovation is 209 million euros and it will be funded by Finnish state and the city of Helsinki.
Michael Jackson performed at the stadium during his HIStory World Tour two times; 24 and 26 August 1997.
U2 performed two nights at the stadium during their U2 360° Tour on 20 and 21 August 2010.
Madonna performed at the stadium during her MDNA Tour on 12 August 2012.
Muse performed at the stadium during their The 2nd Law World Tour on 27 July 2013.
Bruce Springsteen has performed at the stadium four times; 16 and 17 June in 2003 during his The Rising Tour, 11 July 2008 during his Magic Tour and 31 July 2012 during his Wrecking Ball Tour.
Bon Jovi have played the stadium as part of their These Days Tour in 1996, Lost Highway Tour in 2008, and in 2011 during The Circle Tour.
Iron Maiden has performed at the stadium three times; 18 July in 2008 during Somewhere Back in Time World Tour, 8 July 2011 during The Final Frontier World Tour and 20 July 2013 during Maiden England World Tour.
One Direction performed at the stadium for the first time on 27 June 2015 during their fourth tour On the Road Again Tour.
Media related to Helsingin olympiastadion at Wikimedia Commons
- 1896: Marathon (city), Panathenaic Stadium
- 1900: Croix-Catelan Stadium
- 1904: Francis Field
- 1908: White City Stadium
- 1912: Stockholm Olympic Stadium
- 1920: Olympisch Stadion
- 1924: Stade de Colombes
- 1928: Olympic Stadium
- 1932: Olympic Stadium, Riverside Drive at Griffith Park
- 1936: Avus Motor Road, Olympic Stadium
- 1948: Empire Stadium
- 1952: Olympic Stadium
- 1956: Melbourne Cricket Ground
- 1960: Arch of Constantine, Raccordo Anulare, Stadio Olimpico, Via Appia Antica, Via Cristoforo Colombo
- 1964: Fuchu City, Karasuyama-machi, National Stadium, Sasazuka-machi, Shinjuku
- 1968: Estadio Olímpico Universitario, Zócalo
- 1972: Olympiastadion
- 1976: Montreal Botanical Garden, Olympic Stadium, Streets of Montreal
- 1980: Grand Arena, Streets of Moscow
- 1984: Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Santa Monica College, Streets of Los Angeles, Streets of Santa Monica
- 1988: Olympic Stadium, Streets of Seoul
- 1992: Estadi Olímpic de Monjuïc, Marathon course, Mataró, Walking course
- 1996: Marathon course, Olympic Stadium, Walking course
- 2000: Marathon course, North Sydney, Olympic Stadium
- 2004: Marathon (city), Olympic Stadium, Panathenaic Stadium, Stadium at Olympia
- 2008: Beijing National Stadium, Olympic Green Promenade Walking course, Streets of Beijing Marathon course
- 2012: Marathon Course, Olympic Stadium
- 2016: Flamengo Park, Estádio Olímpico João Havelange, Sambódromo
- 1900: 7th arrondissement of Paris
- 1912: Fältrittklubben, Liljeholmen, Lindarängen, Östermalm Athletic Grounds, Stockholm Olympic Stadium
- 1920: Olympisch Stadion
- 1924: Hippodrome d'Auteuil, Stade de Colombes
- 1928: Hilversum, Olympic Stadium
- 1932: Olympic Stadium, Riviera Country Club, Westchester
- 1936: Döberitz, Mayfield, Olympic Stadium
- 1948: Aldershot, Empire Stadium, Tweseldown Racecourse
- 1952: Laakso, Olympic Stadium, Ruskeasuo Equestrian Hall, Tali Race Track
- 1956: Lill-Jansskogen, Olympic Stadium, Ulriksdal
- 1960: Piazza di Siena, Pratoni del Vivaro
- 1964: Karuizawa, National Stadium
- 1968: Avándaro Golf Club, Campo Marte, Estadio Olímpico Universitario
- 1972: Dressage Facility Nymphenburg, Olympiastadion, Riding Facility, Riem
- 1976: Olympic Equestrian Centre, Bromont, Olympic Stadium
- 1980: Grand Arena, Trade Unions' Equestrian Complex
- 1984: Fairbanks Ranch Country Club, Santa Anita Park
- 1988: Olympic Stadium, Seoul Equestrian Park
- 1992: Club Hípic El Montayá, Real Club de Polo de Barcelona
- 1996: Georgia International Horse Park
- 2000: Sydney International Equestrian Centre
- 2004: Markopoulo Olympic Equestrian Centre
- 2008: Hong Kong Equestrian Venues
- 2012: Greenwich Park
- 2016: National Equestrian Center
- Vélodrome de Vincennes
- Francis Field
- White City Stadium
- Råsunda IP, Stockholm Olympic Stadium (final), Tranebergs Idrottsplats
- Jules Ottenstadion, Olympisch Stadion (final), Stade Joseph Marien, Stadion Broodstraat
- Stade Bergeyre, Stade de Colombes (final), Stade de Paris, Stade Pershing
- Monnikenhuize, Olympic Stadium (final), Sparta Stadion Het Kasteel
- Hertha-BSC Field, Mommsenstadion, Olympiastadion (final), Poststadion
- Arsenal Stadium, Champion Hill, Craven Cottage, Cricklefield Stadium, Empire Stadium (medal matches), Green Pond Road, Griffin Park, Selhurst Park, White Hart Lane
- Helsinki Football Grounds, Kotka, Lahti, Olympic Stadium (final), Tampere, Turku
- Melbourne Cricket Ground (final), Olympic Park Stadium
- Florence Communal Stadium, Grosseto Communal Stadium, L'Aquila Communal Stadium, Livorno Ardenza Stadium, Naples Saint Paul's Stadium, Pescara Adriatic Stadium, Stadio Flaminio (final)
- Komazawa Olympic Park Stadium, Mitsuzawa Football Field, Nagai Stadium, Tokyo National Stadium (final), Nishikyogoku Athletic Stadium, Ōmiya Football Field, Prince Chichibu Memorial Football Field
- Estadio Azteca (final), Estadio Cuauhtémoc, Estadio Nou Camp, Jalisco Stadium
- Drei Flüsse Stadion, ESV-Stadion, Jahnstadion, Olympiastadion (final), Rosenaustadion, Urban Stadium
- Lansdowne Park, Olympic Stadium (final), Sherbrooke Stadium, Varsity Stadium
- Dinamo Stadium, Dynamo Central Stadium, Grand Arena, Grand Arena (final), Kirov Stadium, Republican Stadium
- Harvard Stadium, Navy–Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, Rose Bowl (final), Stanford Stadium
- Busan Stadium, Daegu Stadium, Daejeon Stadium, Dongdaemun Stadium, Olympic Stadium (final)
- Estadi de la Nova Creu Alta, Camp Nou (final), Estadio Luís Casanova, La Romareda, Estadi de Sarrià
- Florida Citrus Bowl, Legion Field, Orange Bowl, RFK Memorial Stadium, Sanford Stadium (both finals)
- Stadium Australia, Brisbane Cricket Ground, Bruce Stadium, Hindmarsh Stadium, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Olympic Stadium (men's final), Sydney Football Stadium (women's final)
- Kaftanzoglio Stadium, Karaiskakis Stadium (women's final), Olympic Stadium (men's final), Pampeloponnisiako Stadium, Pankritio Stadium, Panthessaliko Stadium
- Beijing National Stadium (men's final), Qinhuangdao Olympic Sports Center Stadium, Shanghai Stadium, Shenyang Olympic Sports Center Stadium, Tianjin Olympic Center Stadium, Workers' Stadium (women's final)
- City of Coventry Stadium, Hampden Park, Millennium Stadium, St James' Park, Old Trafford, Wembley Stadium (both finals)
- Estádio Nacional de Brasília, Arena Fonte Nova, Mineirão, Arena Corinthians, Arena da Amazônia, Estádio Olímpico João Havelange, Maracanã (both finals)
Thu, 17 Dec 2015 05:41:15 -0800
Everything must go: Helsinki Olympic Stadium's garage sale. One of Helsinki's most recognisable landmarks, the Olympic Stadium, is about to close for a three-year renovation project. In order to make room for the construction, the stadium is selling ...
Thu, 20 Aug 2015 08:33:45 -0700
Marco Altieri has transformed the Susan Wagner girls' volleyball team into one of the city's best since he took over the head-coaching duties in 2002. The Falcons, in fact, presently sport an 83-match winning streak against Staten Island competition ...
Sat, 01 Aug 2015 11:27:28 -0700
Some fans may have been disappointed not to see new signing Roberto Firmino in action, but one of the club's established Brazilian stars more than made up for it. Coutinho was bright and inventive throughout, and his deflected goal on 78 minutes was ...
Thu, 02 Oct 2014 20:56:15 -0700
Finland's men's football team will play its home games in Tampere for three years while its current home, Helsinki's Olympic Stadium, undergoes renovation. The switch will be rubber-stamped by Tampere City Council next Monday.
Tue, 05 Jan 2016 13:16:31 -0800
Finland's Young Lions took gold in the World Junior Championships in Helsinki on Tuesday, beating Russia 4-3 to secure an overtime victory in a nail-biting final. Kasperi Kapanen mestaruusmaali Finland took on Russia in the final of the World Under-20 ...
Sun, 02 Aug 2015 04:54:07 -0700
Pre-season friendly HJK Helsinki vs Liverpool at the Helsinki Olympic Stadium, Finland. Pictured Liverpool new face Allan Rodrigues de Sousa warming up. Photo by Colin Lane. Liverpool have confirmed the signing of young Brazilian midfielder Allan ...
Thu, 07 Jan 2016 06:37:30 -0800
The detective chief inspector of the National Board of Investigation says a preliminary probe has revealed no links between a case in Germany involving a large group of about one-thousand men robbing and molesting women, and another incident that took ...
Fri, 08 Jan 2016 02:20:46 -0800
A Finnish firm has developed a form of environmentally-friendly protein that's made from oats, broad beans and peas. It looks like pulled pork and in blind tastings has fooled testers into thinking it's actually meat.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.