The tower of the Olympic Stadium
The Helsinki Olympic Stadium (Finnish: Helsingin Olympiastadion; Swedish: Helsingfors Olympiastadion), located in the Töölö district about 2 kilometres (1.2 mi) from the centre of the Finnish capital Helsinki, is the largest stadium in the country, nowadays mainly used for hosting sports events and big concerts. The stadium is best known for being the centre of activities in the 1952 Summer Olympics. During those games, it hosted athletics, equestrian show jumping, and the football finals.
The stadium was also the venue for the first World Athletics Championships in 1983 as well as for the 2005 World Championships in Athletics. It hosted the European Athletics Championships in 1971, 1994 and 2012.
It is also the home stadium of the Finland national football team.
The Olympic Stadium was designed in functionalistic style by the architects Yrjö Lindegren and Toivo Jäntti. Construction of the Olympic Stadium began in 1934 and it was completed in 1938, with the intent to host the 1940 Summer Olympics, which were moved from Tokyo to Helsinki before being cancelled due to World War II. It hosted the 1952 Summer Olympics over a decade later instead.
It was the venue for the first ever Bandy World Championship in 1957.
The stadium was completely modernized in 1990–1994 and also renovated just before the 2005 World Championships in Athletics.
In 2006 an American TV series, The Amazing Race 10, had one of its episodes ending at The Olympic Stadium Tower. As a task, teams had to do a face-first rappel (known as the Angel Dive) down the Helsinki Olympic Tower.
Since March 2007, a Eurasian Eagle-Owl has been spotted living in and around the stadium. On June 6, 2007, during a Euro 2008 qualifying match, the owl delayed play by ten minutes after perching on a goalpost. The owl was later christened Bubi and was named as Helsinki's Resident of the Year.
The 50th anniversary of the Helsinki Olympic Games hosted in the Helsinki Olympic Stadium was the main motif for a one of the first Finnish euro silver commemorative coins, the 50th anniversary of the Helsinki Olympic Games commemorative coin, minted in 2002. On the reverse, a view of the Helsinki Olympic Stadium can be seen. On the right, the 500 markka commemorative coin minted in 1952 celebrating the occasion is depicted.
The stadium's spectator capacity was at its maximum during the 1952 Summer Olympics with over 70,000 spectator places. Nowadays the stadium has 40,600 spectator places. During concerts, depending on the size of the stage, the capacity is 45,000–50,000.
The tower of the stadium, a distinct landmark with a height of 72.71 metres (238.5 ft), taken from gold-medal winning result of Matti Järvinen in javelin throw of 1932 Summer Olympics, is open for visitors and offers impressive views over Helsinki. It is possible to see into the adjacent Sonera Stadium.
A Youth Hostel is located within the Stadium complex.
Michael Jackson performed at the stadium during his HIStory World Tour two times; 24 and 26 August 1997.
U2 performed two nights at the stadium during their U2 360° Tour on 20 and 21 August 2010.
Madonna performed at the stadium during her MDNA Tour on 12 August 2012.
Muse performed at the stadium during their The 2nd Law World Tour on 27 July 2013.
Bruce Springsteen has performed at the stadium four times; 16 and 17 June in 2003 during his The Rising Tour, 11 July 2008 during his Magic Tour and 31 July 2012 during his Wrecking Ball Tour.
Bon Jovi have played the stadium as part of their These Days Tour in 1996, Lost Highway Tour in 2008, and in 2010 during The Circle Tour.
Iron Maiden has performed at the stadium three times; 18 July in 2008 during Somewhere Back in Time World Tour, 8 July 2011 during The Final Frontier World Tour and 20 July 2013 during Maiden England World Tour.
Media related to Helsingin olympiastadion at Wikimedia Commons
- 1896: Marathon (city), Panathenaic Stadium
- 1900: Croix-Catelan Stadium
- 1904: Francis Field
- 1908: White City Stadium
- 1912: Stockholm Olympic Stadium
- 1920: Olympisch Stadion
- 1924: Stade de Colombes
- 1928: Olympic Stadium
- 1932: Olympic Stadium, Riverside Drive at Griffith Park
- 1936: Avus Motor Road, Olympic Stadium
- 1948: Empire Stadium
- 1952: Olympic Stadium
- 1956: Melbourne Cricket Ground
- 1960: Arch of Constantine, Raccordo Anulare, Stadio Olimpico, Via Appia Antica, Via Cristoforo Colombo
- 1964: Fuchu City, Karasuyama-machi, National Stadium, Sasazuka-machi, Shinjuku
- 1968: Estadio Olímpico Universitario, Zócalo
- 1972: Olympiastadion
- 1976: Montreal Botanical Garden, Olympic Stadium, Streets of Montreal
- 1980: Grand Arena, Streets of Moscow
- 1984: Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, Santa Monica College, Streets of Los Angeles, Streets of Santa Monica
- 1988: Olympic Stadium, Streets of Seoul
- 1992: Estadi Olímpic de Monjuïc, Marathon course, Mataró, Walking course
- 1996: Marathon course, Olympic Stadium, Walking course
- 2000: Marathon course, North Sydney, Olympic Stadium
- 2004: Marathon (city), Olympic Stadium, Panathenaic Stadium, Stadium at Olympia
- 2008: Beijing National Stadium, Olympic Green Promenade Walking course, Streets of Beijing Marathon course
- 2012: Marathon Course, Olympic Stadium
- 2016: Flamengo Park, João Havelange Stadium, Sambódromo
- 1900: 7th arrondissement of Paris
- 1912: Fältrittklubben, Liljeholmen, Lindarängen, Östermalm Athletic Grounds, Stockholm Olympic Stadium
- 1920: Olympisch Stadion
- 1924: Hippodrome d'Auteuil, Stade de Colombes
- 1928: Hilversum, Olympic Stadium
- 1932: Olympic Stadium, Riviera Country Club, Westchester
- 1936: Döberitz, Mayfield, Olympic Stadium
- 1948: Aldershot, Empire Stadium, Tweseldown Racecourse
- 1952: Laakso, Olympic Stadium, Ruskeasuo Equestrian Hall, Tali Race Track
- 1956: Lill-Jansskogen, Olympic Stadium, Ulriksdal
- 1960: Piazza di Siena, Pratoni del Vivaro
- 1964: Karuizawa, National Stadium
- 1968: Avándaro Golf Club, Campo Marte, Estadio Olímpico Universitario
- 1972: Dressage Facility Nymphenburg, Olympiastadion, Riding Facility, Riem
- 1976: Olympic Equestrian Centre, Bromont, Olympic Stadium
- 1980: Grand Arena, Trade Unions' Equestrian Complex
- 1984: Fairbanks Ranch Country Club, Santa Anita Park
- 1988: Olympic Stadium, Seoul Equestrian Park
- 1992: Club Hípic El Montayá, Real Club de Polo de Barcelona
- 1996: Georgia International Horse Park
- 2000: Sydney International Equestrian Centre
- 2004: Markopoulo Olympic Equestrian Centre
- 2008: Hong Kong Equestrian Venues
- 2012: Greenwich Park
- 2016: National Equestrian Center
- Vélodrome de Vincennes
- Francis Field
- White City Stadium
- Råsunda IP, Stockholm Olympic Stadium (final), Tranebergs Idrottsplats
- Jules Ottenstadion, Olympisch Stadion (final), Stade Joseph Marien, Stadion Broodstraat
- Stade Bergeyre, Stade de Colombes (final), Stade de Paris, Stade Pershing
- Monnikenhuize, Olympic Stadium (final), Sparta Stadion Het Kasteel
- Hertha-BSC Field, Mommsenstadion, Olympiastadion (final), Poststadion
- Arsenal Stadium, Champion Hill, Craven Cottage, Cricklefield Stadium, Empire Stadium (medal matches), Green Pond Road, Griffin Park, Selhurst Park, White Hart Lane
- Helsinki Football Grounds, Kotka, Lahti, Olympic Stadium (final), Tampere, Turku
- Melbourne Cricket Ground (final), Olympic Park Stadium
- Florence Communal Stadium, Grosseto Communal Stadium, L'Aquila Communal Stadium, Livorno Ardenza Stadium, Naples Saint Paul's Stadium, Pescara Adriatic Stadium, Stadio Flaminio (final)
- Komazawa Olympic Park Stadium, Mitsuzawa Football Field, Nagai Stadium, Tokyo National Stadium (final), Nishikyogoku Athletic Stadium, Ōmiya Football Field, Prince Chichiba Memorial Football Field
- Estadio Azteca (final), Estadio Cuauhtémoc, Estadio Nou Camp, Jalisco Stadium
- Drei Flüsse Stadion, ESV-Stadion, Jahnstadion, Olympiastadion (final), Rosenaustadion, Urban Stadium
- Lansdowne Park, Olympic Stadium (final), Sherbrooke Stadium, Varsity Stadium
- Dinamo Stadium, Dynamo Central Stadium, Grand Arena, Grand Arena (final), Kirov Stadium, Republican Stadium
- Harvard Stadium, Navy–Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, Rose Bowl (final), Stanford Stadium
- Busan Stadium, Daegu Stadium, Daejeon Stadium, Dongdaemun Stadium, Olympic Stadium (final)
- Estadi de la Nova Creu Alta, Estadi del FC Barcelona (final), Estadio Luís Casanova, La Romareda, RCD Espanyol Stadium
- Florida Citrus Bowl, Legion Field, Orange Bowl, RFK Memorial Stadium, Sanford Stadium (final)
- Stadium Australia, Brisbane Cricket Ground, Bruce Stadium, Hindmarsh Stadium, Melbourne Cricket Ground, Olympic Stadium (men's final), Sydney Football Stadium (women's final)
- Kaftanzoglio Stadium, Karaiskakis Stadium, Olympic Stadium (final), Pampeloponnisiako Stadium, Pankritio Stadium, Panthessaliko Stadium
- Beijing National Stadium (final), Qinhuangdao Olympic Sports Center Stadium, Shanghai Stadium, Shenyang Olympic Sports Center Stadium, Tianjin Olympic Center Stadium, Workers Stadium
- City of Coventry Stadium, Hampden Park, Millennium Stadium, St James' Park, Old Trafford, Wembley Stadium (final)
- Estádio Nacional de Brasília, Arena Fonte Nova, Mineirão, Arena Corinthians, Maracanã (final)
Muse - Olympic Stadium Helsinki 2013
Muse live at Olympic Stadium Helsinki Finland. Short clips from gig. Shot with HTC One S.
Bon Jovi (July 19th, 1996) Olympic Stadium, Helsinki FINLAND (VIDEO - Full show)
First of all a BIG thank you to the original taper!!! It hasn't been, equipment-wise, an easy task in 1996 to videotape 3hr show at an open venue without get...
Bruce Springsteen - Higher and Higher - Olympic Stadium, Helsinki, Finland, July 31st 2012
Helsinki Olympic Stadium, 2007
Pearl Artist Mikko Sirén drum cam - Tinakenkätyttö (Cheek) @ Helsinki Olympic Stadium
Audio and video from Lumia 1020 smartphone. This video is approved by Mikko Sirén. Pearl Finland Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PearlFinland Mikko Sirén ...
Muse - Supermassive Black Hole @ Helsinki Olympic Stadium
Lee Angel @ Helsinki Olympic Stadium
Lee Angel performing "Walking The Dog", by Rufus Thomas. Live at Talviklassikko 2014 / The Voice of Finland halftime show.
Genesis Helsinki Olympic Stadium 11 June 2007, Intro
Genesis Helsinki Olympic Stadium 11 June 2007, Intro Behind the Lines / Duke's End / Turn It On Again.
Helsinki Olympic Stadium on a Sunny Day, Finland April 2012
Helsinki Olympic Stadium on a Sunny Day, Finland April 2012. The Helsinki Olympic Stadium is the largest stadium in the country, mainly used for hosting spor...
Muse Hysteria live@Helsinki olympic stadium
Muse Hysteria live@Helsinki olympic stadium.
Thu, 02 Oct 2014 20:56:15 -0700
Finland's men's football team will play its home games in Tampere for three years while its current home, Helsinki's Olympic Stadium, undergoes renovation. The switch will be rubber-stamped by Tampere City Council next Monday.
Sat, 09 Aug 2014 09:54:33 -0700
Spanish league runner-up FC Barcelona steamrolled Finnish league table leaders HJK in an invitational match at the Helsinki Olympic Stadium Saturday. The home team came away licking their wounds after a resounding 6-0 defeat.
Thu, 12 Sep 2013 21:19:05 -0700
Six decades on, horses return to Helsinki's Olympic Stadium. The first equestrian event at the Olympic Stadium since 1952 gets underway on Saturday morning – featuring a re-staging of the Olympic final from that year.
Sun, 24 Aug 2014 01:04:00 -0700
Finland's bestselling rapper, Cheek, performed two nearly-sold out shows at Helsinki's Olympic Stadium on Friday and Saturday. The concerts attracted nearly 80,000 people, shattering previous records for Finnish artists. Cheek mixes high-energy ...
Sat, 27 Jul 2013 07:20:15 -0700
In what will be remembered by probably all Finnish Maiden fans as a great evening of metal, Iron Maiden visited the capital of Finland again to offer a show full of power. In around 2 hours, they played a not very long but impressive setlist collecting ...
Yahoo! Maktoob News
Yahoo! Maktoob News
Mon, 13 Oct 2014 10:29:44 -0700
"Yes, it's a special game for me but I'm thinking how to win the match, we'll have to do everything possible to win it," the 33-year-old PAOK Salonika player told reporters ahead of the match in Helsinki's Olympic Stadium. "I'll be twice as happy if we ...
Tue, 14 Oct 2014 14:35:12 -0700
Romania remained unbeaten in their European qualifying campaign and moved up to second in Group F as Bogdan Stancu's second-half goals handed 10-man Finland their first defeat. Both sides entered the clash at the Helsinki Olympic Stadium with four ...
Tue, 04 Nov 2014 22:56:15 -0800
Lo sport in tv del 6 novembre mette in evidenza il grande calcio, con la quarta giornata di Europa League. Impegni cruciali per Inter, Torino, Fiorentina e Napoli. Nerazzurri e granata impegnati alle 19 con due trasferte: la squadra di Mazzarri è di ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.