|Hawes Township, Michigan|
|— Township —|
|• Total||71.5 sq mi (185.1 km2)|
|• Land||70.0 sq mi (181.3 km2)|
|• Water||1.4 sq mi (3.7 km2)|
|Elevation||889 ft (271 m)|
|• Density||16.7/sq mi (6.4/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1626451|
- Barton City is an unincorporated community on the southern boundary of the township. Most of the community is within Millen Township although settlement extends into Hawes Township.
- Hubbard Lake is the name of a census-designated place (CDP) for the populated area surrounding the Hubbard Lake. The CDP spans three townships and includes the community of "Backus Beach" on the southeast end of the lake.
- The Village of Lincoln is situated on the boundary between Hawes and Gustin Township and is approximately evenly divided between them.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 71.5 square miles (185 km2), of which, 70.0 square miles (181 km2) of it is land and 1.4 square miles (3.6 km2) of it (2.02%) is water.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,167 people, 528 households, and 353 families residing in the township. The population density was 16.7 per square mile (6.4/km²). There were 1,003 housing units at an average density of 14.3 per square mile (5.5/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.71% White, 0.17% African American, 0.69% Native American, and 0.43% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.69% of the population.
There were 528 households out of which 21.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.3% were married couples living together, 6.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 33.0% were non-families. 29.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.20 and the average family size was 2.64.
In the township the population was spread out with 19.6% under the age of 18, 3.5% from 18 to 24, 23.5% from 25 to 44, 32.0% from 45 to 64, and 21.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 47 years. For every 100 females there were 95.8 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 91.8 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $28,938, and the median income for a family was $36,736. Males had a median income of $31,346 versus $21,538 for females. The per capita income for the township was $16,332. About 10.0% of families and 12.2% of the population were below the poverty line, including 17.8% of those under age 18 and 4.6% of those age 65 or over.
- "Bibliography on Alcona County". Clarke Historical Library, Central Michigan University. Retrieved February 9, 2013.
- Lumberman's Monument
- Lumberman's Monument at the U.S. Forest Service
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.