Harti (Somali: Hartii, Arabic: هارتي), meaning "strong man", is a name used to denote a confederation of various Darod sub-clans of the Somali people.
There is no clear agreement on the clan and sub-clan structures and many lineages are omitted. The following listing is taken from the World Bank's Conflict in Somalia: Drivers and Dynamics from 2005 and the United Kingdom's Home Office publication, Somalia Assessment 2001.
- Darod (Daarood)
- Red Dini
- Rer Hassan
- Eli Dheere
In Puntland, the World Bank shows the following:
Notable Harti members
- Abdullahi Ahmed Irro, General in the Somali National Army
- Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, former President of Somalia
- Ali Khalif Galaydh, former Prime Minister of Somalia
- Amina Mohamed, diplomat and politician
- Abdulqawi Yusuf, international lawyer and judge; judge at the International Court of Justice since February 6th 2009.
- Abdirahman Mohamud Farole, President of Puntland
- Fatima Jibrell, environmental activist
- Haji Bashir Ismail Yusuf, first President of the Somali National Assembly
- Omar Abdirashid Ali Sharmarke, Prime Minister of Somalia
- Mohamed Hashi, former President of Puntland.
- ^ Drake-Brockman, p.55.
- ^ Worldbank, Conflict in Somalia: Drivers and Dynamics, January 2005, Appendix 2, Lineage Charts, p.55 Figure A-1
- ^ Country Information and Policy Unit, Home Office, Great Britain, Somalia Assessment 2001, Annex B: Somali Clan Structure, p. 43
- ^ Worldbank, Conflict in Somalia: Drivers and Dynamics, January 2005, Appendix 2, Lineage Charts, p.57 Figure A-3
Tue, 17 Mar 2015 07:38:09 -0700
... theory harti darod can never0le again in somaliland period so mr amisom somali rentboy you are under hawiye0le and they under amisom occupation meanwhile in hargeisa land of the brave and free they is a functioning sovereign state created by ...
Sat, 29 Nov 2014 09:11:55 -0800
Let me make one thing perfectly clear dhulbahante, Warsengeli and Maherteen are known as the Harti Darod they are different from the Ogaden, Marhan etc, the Harti Darod are united through a common Darood ancestor and shared ancestral interracial ...
Fri, 08 Aug 2014 12:16:06 -0700
Leaders of Puntland State (Harti Darod Enclave) brushed aside the need for a serious debate over the pros and cons of federalism for national reconciliation, unity, and prosperity. The clan demarcation line established within the Galkaio Town ...
Fri, 20 Dec 2013 08:10:13 -0800
i want to play qasiido with MAYDI frankencense over the tombs of our great ancestors (sheikh isaq,shekh issa,sheikh samaroon and sheikh harti darod) all burried in sanaag. # Guest 2013-12-21 02:41. This comment has been deleted by Administrator.
Thu, 07 Feb 2013 19:13:13 -0800
To appreciate the concept of federalism in Somalia, a review of the different views, motivations and perceptions propounded by Dighil and Mirifle and Harti Darod (Puntland) for their resolute support of federalism is helpful. In 1991, some politicians ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.