"Harlem Shuffle" is an R&B song written and originally recorded by the duo Bob & Earl in 1963. In 1986 it was covered by The Rolling Stones on their album Dirty Work.
House of Pain sampled the song's opening horn line in their breakthrough single "Jump Around" in 1992.
Bob & Earl
The original single, co-arranged by Barry White and Gene Page, peaked at #44 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and #36 on the Cash Box chart. However, the record was much more successful upon its UK re-release in 1969, making the Top 10 there. It was released on Marc Records, a subsidiary of Titan Records.
In 2003, the original Bob & Earl version of the song was ranked #23 by the music critics of The Daily Telegraph on their list of the "50 Best Duets Ever".
The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones' cover version, with Bobby Womack on backing vocals, appeared on their 1986 album Dirty Work, and went to #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and #13 in the UK. Keith Richards had been looking for songs to possibly include on the album and had been working up songs with Ronnie Wood and Womack while waiting for Jagger to return to the studio in Paris after doing promo work on his solo album. To Richards's surprise, Jagger liked the feel and cut the vocals quickly. It became the first cover song the Stones had released as an opening single off a new studio album since 1965. It opens with:
||You move it to the left and you go for yourself
You move it to the right yeah if it takes all night
Now take it kinda slow with a whole lot of soul.
In 1986, a 12" extended single mix of the song was released. One side contained the "London Mix" and ran 6:19. The other side had a "New York Mix" and ran 6:35. Both mixes were variations of the 7" mix. The "New York Mix" is available on the CD, Rarities 1971–2003, although it has been edited to 5:48. Both full-length 12" versions can be found on Disc 25 of Singles 1971–2006.
The Rolling Stones produced an accompanying three-minute music video, which combined live-action and animation. The live-action was directed by famous animation director Ralph Bakshi and the animation was directed by future The Ren & Stimpy Show creator John Kricfalusi. Other animators who also worked on the video included Lynne Naylor, Jim Smith, Bob Jaques, Vicky Jenson, Pat Ventura and two other unknown animators.
- ^ "45 Discography for Marc Records". Global Dog Productions. Globaldogproductions.info. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- ^ "House of Pain's Jump Around sample of Bob & Earl's Harlem Shuffle". WhoSampled.com. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Bob & Earl Page". Soulwalking.co.uk. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- ^ "List of the 50 Best Duets Ever". The Daily Telegraph. November 8, 2003. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- ^ a b "Bob & Earl awards at Allmusic". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Ultratop.be – Bob And Earl – Harlem Shuffle" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Nederlandse Top 40 – Bob And Earl - Harlem Shuffle search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Dutchcharts.nl – Bob And Earl – Harlem Shuffle" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Archive Chart: 1969-05-03" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ Ken Tucker (April 6, 1986). "R&B Gets The Superstar Treatment". Philadelphia Daily News. Retrieved June 28, 2013. "The Stones raise the rhythm-and-blues issue explicitly on "Harlem Shuffle," the first single to be released from Dirty Work. (...) Mick Jagger smears the lyrics with lascivious glee, while the rest of the band attempts to turn the tune into a hip dance-rock number."
- ^ Ray Broadus Browne, Pat Browne (2001). Popular Press, ed. The Guide to United States Popular Culture. p. 676. ISBN 978-0-87972-821-2.
- ^ "Classic Cartoons: Harlem Shuffle". Classiccartoons.blogspot.com. September 20, 2006. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- ^ bulion. "Forum - ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts - CHART POSITIONS PRE 1989". ARIA. Australian-charts.com. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Austriancharts.at – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Ultratop.be – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Harlem Shuffle - ROLLING STONES". VRT (in Dutch). Top30-2.radio2.be. Retrieved July 28, 2013. Hoogste notering in de top 30 : 4
- ^ "Top Singles - Volume 44, No. 4, April 19, 1986". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- ^ "Lescharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Officialcharts.de – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle". GfK Entertainment. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". IRMA. Retrieved July 28, 2013. Only one result when searching "Harlem shuffle"
- ^ "I singoli più venduti del 1986". HitParadeItalia (in Italian). Creative Commons. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
61. Harlem shuffle - The Rolling Stones [#7]
- ^ "Nederlandse Top 40 – The Rolling Stones - Harlem Shuffle search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Dutchcharts.nl – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Charts.org.nz – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Norwegiancharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle". VG-lista. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "THE HARLEM SHUFFLE - The Rolling Stones". Nowe Media, Polskie Radio S.A. LP3.polskieradio.pl. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Swedishcharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle". Singles Top 60. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Swisscharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Archive Chart: 1986-03-22" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ a b c d "Dirty Work awards at Allmusic". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved June 29, 2013.
The New Orleans Advocate
The New Orleans Advocate
Sat, 21 Nov 2015 17:27:27 -0800
“The 'Harlem Shuffle' is the most popular line dance, and the minute the first note strikes, the whole dance floor is packed with people,” said Nassar. Toward the middle of the four-hour dance, he joins the crowd and dances to two twists — Chubby ...
Sun, 18 Oct 2015 06:08:23 -0700
On Thursday Rolling Stones Release Classic Performance Video of 'Harlem Shuffle' was a top story. Here is the recap: (hennemusic) The Rolling Stones have released a video of their performance of "The Harlem Shuffle" as a preview to the forthcoming ...
Fri, 02 Oct 2015 04:57:28 -0700
Curtis defensive tackle Jamel McGinnis commutes to school every day from Harlem but says it's worth it. (S.I. Advance File Photo/Derek Alvez). By Stephen Hart | email@example.com on October 02, 2015 7:45 AM, updated October 07, 2015 4:52 PM ...
Wed, 18 Nov 2015 22:11:15 -0800
The set list includes more (now) obscure songs, such as “Can't Be Seen” and “Almost Hear You Sigh,” but also includes their great cover of “The Harlem Shuffle,” one of the best covers the group did at that time. They also reach back into their earlier ...
Wed, 01 Oct 2014 06:00:24 -0700
On an unseasonably warm Monday morning in Harlem, in a small park at the junction of West 123rd Street and Morningside Avenue, swarms of New York schoolchildren picked up rugby balls and ran. Probably to the relief of parents familiar with the ...
Fri, 13 Nov 2015 07:40:17 -0800
Zo wordt 'Harlem' Shuffle' de onbedoelde soundtrack van de politieke moord. "Vanaf het begin was al de gedachte: we willen een publiek dat eigenlijk naar de radio luistert voor de muziek op een prettige manier bijpraten". - Jurgen van den Berg, oud NOS ...
Tue, 13 Oct 2015 20:37:48 -0700
オフィシャル・ライヴ発掘シリーズ、「From The Vault＝貴重品倉庫から」の第4弾となる『ストーンズ - ライヴ・アット・ザ・トーキョー・ドーム 1990』を本日10月14日（水）に日本先行リリースするザ・ローリング・ストーンズだが、同作収録の“Harlem Shuffle”のライヴ映像が公開されて ...
Fri, 30 Oct 2015 06:18:45 -0700
Di seguito potete vedere i video promozionali – diffusi dal canale YouTube degli Stones – relativi alle ultime due pubblicazioni della serie. Nello specifico, si tratta dei brani Harlem Shuffle, Mixed Emotions, Sad Sad Sad (estratti da Live At The ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.