"Harlem Shuffle" is an R&B song written and originally recorded by the duo Bob & Earl in 1963. In 1986 it was covered by The Rolling Stones on their album Dirty Work.
House of Pain sampled the song's opening horn line in their breakthrough single "Jump Around" in 1992.
Bob & Earl
The original single, co-arranged by Barry White and Gene Page, peaked at #44 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and #36 on the Cash Box chart. The record was a commercial failure when first released in the UK in 1963, but on reissue in 1969 peaked at #7. It was released on Marc Records, a subsidiary of Titan Records.
In 2003, the original Bob & Earl version of the song was ranked #23 by the music critics of The Daily Telegraph on their list of the "50 Best Duets Ever".
The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones' cover version, with Bobby Womack on backing vocals, appeared on their 1986 album Dirty Work, and went to #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and #13 in the UK. Keith Richards had been looking for songs to possibly include on the album and had been working up songs with Ronnie Wood and Womack while waiting for Jagger to return to the studio in Paris after doing promo work on his solo album. To Richards's surprise, Jagger liked the feel and cut the vocals quickly. It became the first cover song the Stones had released as an opening single off a new studio album since 1965. It opens with:
||You move it to the left and you go for yourself
You move it to the right yeah if it takes all night
Now take it kinda slow with a whole lot of soul.
In 1986, a 12" extended single mix of the song was released. One side contained the "London Mix" and ran 6:19. The other side had a "New York Mix" and ran 6:35. Both mixes were variations of the 7" mix. The "New York Mix" is available on the CD, Rarities 1971–2003, although it has been edited to 5:48. Both full-length 12" versions can be found on Disc 25 of Singles 1971–2006.
The Rolling Stones produced an accompanying three-minute music video, which combined live-action and animation. The live-action was directed by famous animation director Ralph Bakshi and the animation was directed by future The Ren & Stimpy Show creator John Kricfalusi. Other animators who also worked on the video included Lynne Naylor, Jim Smith, Bob Jaques, Vicky Jenson, Pat Ventura and two other unknown animators.
- ^ "45 Discography for Marc Records". Global Dog Productions. Globaldogproductions.info. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- ^ "House of Pain's Jump Around sample of Bob & Earl's Harlem Shuffle". WhoSampled.com. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Bob & Earl Page". Soulwalking.co.uk. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- ^ "List of the 50 Best Duets Ever". The Daily Telegraph. November 8, 2003. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- ^ a b "Bob & Earl awards at Allmusic". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Ultratop.be – Bob And Earl – Harlem Shuffle" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Nederlandse Top 40 – Bob And Earl - Harlem Shuffle search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Dutchcharts.nl – Bob And Earl – Harlem Shuffle" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Archive Chart: 1969-05-03" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ Ken Tucker (April 6, 1986). "R&B Gets The Superstar Treatment". Philadelphia Daily News. Retrieved June 28, 2013. "The Stones raise the rhythm-and-blues issue explicitly on "Harlem Shuffle," the first single to be released from Dirty Work. (...) Mick Jagger smears the lyrics with lascivious glee, while the rest of the band attempts to turn the tune into a hip dance-rock number."
- ^ Ray Broadus Browne, Pat Browne (2001). Popular Press, ed. The Guide to United States Popular Culture. p. 676. ISBN 978-0-87972-821-2.
- ^ "Classic Cartoons: Harlem Shuffle". Classiccartoons.blogspot.com. September 20, 2006. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- ^ bulion. "Forum - ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts - CHART POSITIONS PRE 1989". ARIA. Australian-charts.com. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Austriancharts.at – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Ultratop.be – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Harlem Shuffle - ROLLING STONES". VRT (in Dutch). Top30-2.radio2.be. Retrieved July 28, 2013. Hoogste notering in de top 30 : 4
- ^ "Top Singles - Volume 44, No. 4, April 19, 1986". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- ^ "Lescharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Offiziellecharts.de – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle". GfK Entertainment. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". IRMA. Retrieved July 28, 2013. Only one result when searching "Harlem shuffle"
- ^ "I singoli più venduti del 1986". HitParadeItalia (in Italian). Creative Commons. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
61. Harlem shuffle - The Rolling Stones [#7]
- ^ "Nederlandse Top 40 – The Rolling Stones - Harlem Shuffle search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Dutchcharts.nl – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Charts.org.nz – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Norwegiancharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle". VG-lista. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "THE HARLEM SHUFFLE - The Rolling Stones". Nowe Media, Polskie Radio S.A. LP3.polskieradio.pl. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Swedishcharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle". Singles Top 100. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Swisscharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Archive Chart: 1986-03-22" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ a b c d "Dirty Work awards at Allmusic". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved June 29, 2013.
Wed, 06 Jan 2016 01:45:31 -0800
A$AP ROCKY features in this month's Vogue, taking writer Hermione Eyre behind the scenes with the A$AP Mob at his widely publicised O2 concert, giving a fascinating insight to the mind of the boy from the Bronx who has become a millionaire by the age ...
Thu, 24 Mar 2016 00:07:30 -0700
The album was met with mediocre reviews and came out at the apex of the 80′s and MTV era. The album produced a hit for the Rolling Stones, the cover of “Harlem Shuffle,” and featured a number of guest appearances, including contributions by Tom Waits, ...
Thu, 14 Apr 2016 07:46:59 -0700
Much is made in the notes of Riley's 'new direction' and he does feature himself rather more than was customary with Marsalis with mallet and snare excursions, yet manages to eschew swing, only 'Harlem Shuffle' giving a glimpse of real jazz quality.
Tue, 02 Feb 2016 02:26:56 -0800
He's the man who everyone is talking about this week as his collaboration with Guess is finally unveiled. In an interview taken from British Vogue's February 2016 issue, Hermione Eyre meets the music and style star to talk ex-girlfriends, swimming ...
Chestnut Hill Local
Chestnut Hill Local
Wed, 06 Apr 2016 09:18:45 -0700
“There was a really big band out of Kansas City called 'The Fabulous Flippers,' who recorded the hit “The Harlem Shuffle” in 1965. Initially, the band played Motown music such as Martha and The Vandellas' “Heatwave,” and The Temptations' “Ain't too ...
Mon, 04 Apr 2016 19:40:02 -0700
Tue, 19 Apr 2016 01:31:11 -0700
In what might forever after come to be coined the Doha bounce (with due respect to the likes of 'Stockholm syndrome', 'Chicken Kiev' and the 'Harlem shuffle') Asian equities followed in the footsteps of the major US bourses to reverse Monday's losses.
Fri, 02 Oct 2015 04:57:28 -0700
Curtis defensive tackle Jamel McGinnis commutes to school every day from Harlem but says it's worth it. (S.I. Advance File Photo/Derek Alvez). By Stephen Hart | firstname.lastname@example.org on October 02, 2015 7:45 AM, updated October 07, 2015 4:52 PM.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.