"Harlem Shuffle" is an R&B song written and originally recorded by the duo Bob & Earl in 1963. In 1986 it was covered by The Rolling Stones on their album Dirty Work.
House of Pain sampled the song's opening horn line in their breakthrough single "Jump Around" in 1992.
Bob & Earl
The original single, co-arranged by Barry White and Gene Page, peaked at #44 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart and #36 on the Cash Box chart. However, the record was much more successful upon its UK re-release in 1969, making the Top 10 there. It was released on Marc Records, a subsidiary of Titan Records.
In 2003, the original Bob & Earl version of the song was ranked #23 by the music critics of The Daily Telegraph on their list of the "50 Best Duets Ever".
The Rolling Stones
The Rolling Stones' cover version, with Bobby Womack on backing vocals, appeared on their 1986 album Dirty Work, and went to #5 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart, and #13 in the UK. Keith Richards had been looking for songs to possibly include on the album and had been working up songs with Ronnie Wood and Womack while waiting for Jagger to return to the studio in Paris after doing promo work on his solo album. To Richards's surprise, Jagger liked the feel and cut the vocals quickly. It became the first cover song the Stones had released as an opening single off a new studio album since 1965. It opens with:
||You move it to the left and you go for yourself
You move it to the right yeah if it takes all night
Now take it kinda slow with a whole lot of soul.
In 1986, a 12" extended single mix of the song was released. One side contained the "London Mix" and ran 6:19. The other side had a "New York Mix" and ran 6:35. Both mixes were variations of the 7" mix. The "New York Mix" is available on the CD, Rarities 1971–2003, although it has been edited to 5:48. Both full-length 12" versions can be found on Disc 25 of Singles 1971–2006.
The Rolling Stones produced an accompanying three-minute music video, which combined live-action and animation. The live-action was directed by famous animation director Ralph Bakshi and the animation was directed by future The Ren & Stimpy Show creator John Kricfalusi. Other animators who also worked on the video included Lynne Naylor, Jim Smith, Bob Jaques, Vicky Jenson, Pat Ventura and two other unknown animators.
- ^ "45 Discography for Marc Records". Global Dog Productions. Globaldogproductions.info. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- ^ "House of Pain's Jump Around sample of Bob & Earl's Harlem Shuffle". WhoSampled.com. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Bob & Earl Page". Soulwalking.co.uk. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- ^ "List of the 50 Best Duets Ever". The Daily Telegraph. November 8, 2003. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- ^ a b "Bob & Earl awards at Allmusic". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Ultratop.be – Bob And Earl – Harlem Shuffle" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Nederlandse Top 40 – Bob And Earl - Harlem Shuffle search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Dutchcharts.nl – Bob And Earl – Harlem Shuffle" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Archive Chart: 1969-05-03" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ Ken Tucker (April 6, 1986). "R&B Gets The Superstar Treatment". Philadelphia Daily News. Retrieved June 28, 2013. "The Stones raise the rhythm-and-blues issue explicitly on "Harlem Shuffle," the first single to be released from Dirty Work. (...) Mick Jagger smears the lyrics with lascivious glee, while the rest of the band attempts to turn the tune into a hip dance-rock number."
- ^ Ray Broadus Browne, Pat Browne (2001). Popular Press, ed. The Guide to United States Popular Culture. p. 676. ISBN 978-0-87972-821-2.
- ^ "Classic Cartoons: Harlem Shuffle". Classiccartoons.blogspot.com. September 20, 2006. Retrieved August 14, 2011.
- ^ bulion. "Forum - ARIA Charts: Special Occasion Charts - CHART POSITIONS PRE 1989". ARIA. Australian-charts.com. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Austriancharts.at – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Ultratop.be – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Harlem Shuffle - ROLLING STONES". VRT (in Dutch). Top30-2.radio2.be. Retrieved July 28, 2013. Hoogste notering in de top 30 : 4
- ^ "Top Singles - Volume 44, No. 4, April 19, 1986". Library and Archives Canada. Retrieved June 28, 2013.
- ^ "Lescharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Officialcharts.de – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle". GfK Entertainment. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "The Irish Charts - All there is to know". IRMA. Retrieved July 28, 2013. Only one result when searching "Harlem shuffle"
- ^ "I singoli più venduti del 1986". HitParadeItalia (in Italian). Creative Commons. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
61. Harlem shuffle - The Rolling Stones [#7]
- ^ "Nederlandse Top 40 – The Rolling Stones - Harlem Shuffle search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Dutchcharts.nl – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle" (in Dutch). Single Top 100. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Charts.org.nz – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle". Top 40 Singles. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Norwegiancharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle". VG-lista. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "THE HARLEM SHUFFLE - The Rolling Stones". Nowe Media, Polskie Radio S.A. LP3.polskieradio.pl. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Swedishcharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle". Singles Top 60. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Swisscharts.com – The Rolling Stones – Harlem Shuffle". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ "Archive Chart: 1986-03-22" UK Singles Chart. Retrieved July 28, 2013.
- ^ a b c d "Dirty Work awards at Allmusic". Allmusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved June 29, 2013.
Wed, 20 May 2015 07:31:51 -0700
The Rolling Stones have released a stack of amazing albums, but 1986's Dirty Work is not of them. Crappy album notwithstanding, The Stones still turned '60s R&B duo Bob & Earl's “Harlem Shuffle” into a U.S. top 5 hit. Credit Mick Jagger's guttural-to ...
Wed, 01 Oct 2014 06:00:24 -0700
On an unseasonably warm Monday morning in Harlem, in a small park at the junction of West 123rd Street and Morningside Avenue, swarms of New York schoolchildren picked up rugby balls and ran. Probably to the relief of parents familiar with the ...
Fri, 24 Aug 2012 07:45:59 -0700
http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c... http://www.rollingstones.com/ · http://www.bravadousa.com/rollingstones · http://www.facebook.com/therollingstones · http://twitter.com/RollingStones · http://rollingstonesofficial.tumblr.com · http://www ...
Thu, 14 Feb 2013 09:29:01 -0800
Jeff Gordon and his crew get down to the Harlem Shake! Subscribe: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_c... Connect with Pepsi: http://www.pepsi.com · http://www.twitter.com/pepsi · http://www.facebook.com/pepsi · http://www.instagram.com/pepsi ...
Thu, 07 Feb 2013 21:51:46 -0800
The Harlem Shake (With Your Very Own Actual Firefighters). Music. "Harlem Shake" by Baauer (Google Play • iTunes • AmazonMP3 • eMusic). Artist. Baauer. Category. Comedy. License. Standard YouTube License. Show more. Show less. All Comments ...
New York Observer
Wed, 27 Jun 2012 11:43:15 -0700
Back in 2007, in order to win his vote for Columbia's contentious Manhattanville rezoning, Manhattan Borough President Scott Stringer got the city to agree to rezone the blocks north of the new 17-acre campus as well, a stanch against over development.
Sydney Morning Herald
Thu, 14 Jul 2011 06:58:24 -0700
Ah, New York. The Big Apple. The City of Dreams. The Hobart of the North. After a rather confusing team challenge in which pairs of contestants rushed blindly around NYC in an attempt to find the Fast-Forward, thus proceeding immediately to the next ...
New York Daily News
Tue, 10 Aug 2010 08:30:01 -0700
They had a trolley good time. Forget the double-decker buses that wind through the crowded streets of midtown. The best way to sightsee in one of the city's most culturally rich neighborhoods Saturday afternoon was via the ArtCrawl Harlem trolley ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.