|Regions with significant populations|
|Sunni Islam, Sufism|
|Related ethnic groups|
|Abgaal, other Hawiye clans|
The clan has produced some prominent Somali figures, such as Abdullahi Issa, the chairman of the Somali Youth League (SYL) and first Prime Minister of Somalia prior to independence, Dr. Abdiqasim Salad Hassan, the former President of Somalia, and Mohamed Farrah Aidid, Chairman of the United Somali Congress (USC).
There is no clear agreement on the clan and sub-clan structures and many lineages are omitted. The following listing is taken from the World Bank's Conflict in Somalia: Drivers and Dynamics from 2005 and the United Kingdom's Home Office publication, Somalia Assessment 2001.
In the south central part of Somalia the World Bank shows the following clan tree:
- Habar Gidir
- Abdiqasim Salad Hassan (Cayr), President of Somalia 2000-2004
- Abdi Hasan Awale Qeybdiid, (Sacad) Former Somali police chief
- Abdullahi Issa (Sacad), chairman of the Somali Youth League and first prime minister of Somalia, 1949–1960
- Aden Hashi Ayrow (Cayr), leader of Al-Shabaab movement; died in United States air strike, 2008
- Asha Haji Elmi (Saleebaan), peace activist
- Elman Ali Ahmed, entrepreneur and social activist
- Hassan Dahir Aweys (Cayr), head of the council of the Islamic Courts of Somalia
- Dr. Hussein Ali Shido (Saleebaan), Chairman and co-founder of the United Somali Congress
- Hussein Mohamed Farrah (Sacad), Somali National Alliance (SNA), Somalia Reconciliation and Restoration Council (SRRC) and Transitional Federal Government (TFG) leader, son of Mohammed Farah Aidid
- General Mohamed Farrah Aidid (Sacad), United Somali Congress leader who ousted Siad Barre's regime
- Mohamoud Mohamed Gacmodhere(Saleebaan) former Presidential candidate.
- Osman Ali Atto(Sacad) Somali businessman, affiliated with the Somali National Alliance.
- Yusuf Mohammed Siad Inda'ade (Cayr), head of security affairs for the Islamic Courts Union
- Haliima Magool (Halima Khaliif Omar), (Cayr), singer and musician
- Hasan Adan Samatar (Cayr), singer and musician
- Abdi Bashiir Indhobuur (Sacad), poet and composer of many patriotic songs
- Amina Said Ali (Sacad), author, poet, and medical scientist
- Worldbank, Conflict in Somalia: Drivers and Dynamics, January 2005, Appendix 2, Lineage Charts, p.55 Figure A-1
- Country Information and Policy Unit, Home Office, Great Britain, Somalia Assessment 2001, Annex B: Somali Clan Structure, p. 43
- Worldbank, Conflict in Somalia: Drivers and Dynamics, January 2005, Appendix 2, Lineage Charts, p.56 Figure A-2
- Worldbank, Conflict in Somalia: Drivers and Dynamics, January 2005, Appendix 2, Lineage Charts, p.57 Figure A-3