|Address||521 North State Street
Chicago, IL 60654
|Platforms||2 side platforms|
|Opened||October 17, 1943|
|Owned by||City of Chicago|
|Passengers (2012)||3,773,949 7.5%|
Grand, also known as and announced Grand/State to differentiate it from Grand on the Blue Line, is a rapid transit station on the Red Line of the Chicago 'L'. It serves Navy Pier, which is accessible via bus on Illinois Street one block south.
The first stop north of the Chicago River on the Red Line, Grand station is located in the River North neighborhood of the city. More specifically, it lies underneath North State Street at its intersection with Grand Avenue. Due to its central location, it is close to a number of landmarks in Chicago, with Navy Pier to the east and the Merchandise Mart (which has its own station on the Brown and Purple Lines).
During the 1950s, the CTA implemented skip-stop service throughout the 'L' system. Under this service pattern, Grand station was designated as AB along with all other downtown stations (on the Red Line, those stops south of Clark/Division and north of Cermak were given AB designations). As a result, all trains stopped at these stations. The skip-stop service was ended due to budget cuts in the 1990s.
2000s renovation 
In line with other downtown stations, Grand station is currently undergoing a massive renovation that the Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) estimates will cost $67.2 million. The project is expected to double the station's capacity through a 2,000 sq ft (190 m2) mezzanine expansion as well as widening stairways and adding elevators.
Station layout 
Unlike most State Street Subway stations, Grand uses a side platform configuration with two tracks. This setup does exist, however, at Chicago and North/Clybourn stations. There are entrances from street level at all corners of the intersection of North State Street and Grand Avenue. One level below street level lies a mezzanine containing fare control, while the platforms are located beneath the mezzanine.
Bus connections 
- #29 State
- #36 Broadway
- #65 Grand
- Navy Pier Trolley (May-September Only)
- Shinnick, William (October 17, 1943). "Chicago Underground--A Subway at Last!". Chicago Daily Tribune. p. C1.
- "1957 Chicago 'L' system map". Chicago-L.org. Retrieved February 8, 2011.
- Hilkevitch, Jon (July 2, 2007). "At last, rehab work will arrive at Grand". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 2011-02-08.
- http://www.navypier.com/visit_us/pdf/trolleystoproute.pdf Navy Pier Trolley Route Map
- Grand/State Station Page on the CTA official site
- Grand/State Station Page at Chicago-'L'.org
- Grand Avenue entrance from Google Maps Street View
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.