|Llansanffraid Glan Conwy|
The Conwy Estuary
Llansanffraid Glan Conwy shown within Conwy
|OS grid reference|
|Community||Llansanffraid Glan Conwy|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Post town||COLWYN BAY|
Llansanffraid Glan Conwy, usually shortened to Glan Conwy, is a village in Conwy County Borough, Wales. The name translates from the Welsh as Church of St Ffraid on the bank of the River Conwy. The village was founded in the 5th century and in the past had a marine based economy, but it is now largely residential. The population was 2,290 in 2001.
Llansanffraid Glan Conwy faces the town of Conwy across the estuary of the River Conwy and is located 5 miles south of Llandudno and 1 mile south of Llandudno Junction which is on the London to Holyhead main railway line. The A470 trunk road runs through the village. The trunk road is officially known as the Glan Conwy Corner to Cardiff trunk road.
The parish was founded, according to tradition, when St. Bridget (Ffraid) is supposed to have sailed from Ireland on a green turf, and landed on a bank of the River Conwy, about a quarter of a mile west of the present church. However records show that the parish was created by Maelgwyn Gwynedd in the 5th century and that five royal manors were given to the church to create the parish.
These are remembered in the five townships which survive today, the townships of Trellan, Trebwll, Tre Trallwyn, Tre Deunant and Pen y Rhos.
The village has two public houses, the Cross Keys Inn and the Estuary. The latter was previously named the Conwy Vale before a change of ownership in 2007, and in the 1920s was the Wheatsheaf.
Places of worship 
In 1905, the following nonconformist places of worship were to be found in the civil parish of Llansanffraid Glan Conwy:
|Name of chapel||Denomination||Number of "adherents"|
|Bryn Ebenezer||Calvinistic Methodist||250|
All but Salem Fforddlas and Bryn Ebenezer are now closed.
The Llansanffraid Glan Conwy Community Council is made up of twelve members, six from each of the two wards, Bryn Rhys and Fforddlas. It represents the local people and is responsible for undertaking local projects.
Ysgol Glan Conwy is a voluntary controlled primary school for boys and girls aged 3 to 11.
The village's main industry used to be dry docking and chandlery for the port of Conwy. When the Telford (1826) and Stephenson (1848) bridges were built the village was cut off from the high seas and began a period of decline. Today it is a dormitary village, the vast majority of the population either being retirees or people who commute to work. The Cae Ffwt Business Park, located alongside the A470, has seen a number of small businesses set up base in the village.
The village has a local football team associated with the Welsh Alliance "Glan Conwy FC". Former Glan Conwy player Marc Jones now plays for Wrexham in the Blue Square Conference following a transfer in the 2009-2010 season.
See also 
- Office for National Statistics : Census 2001 : Parish Headcounts : Conwy
- "Welsh Church Commission: County of Denbigh The Statistics of the Nonconformist Churches for 1905."
Media related to Llansanffraid Glan Conwy at Wikimedia Commons
- A Vision of Britain Through Time
- British Listed Buildings
- Clwyd Churches
- Office for National Statistics