|78th Mayor of Athens|
December 29, 2010
|Preceded by||Nikitas Kaklamanis|
April 23, 2003 – September, 2010
|Preceded by||Nikiforos Diamandouros|
|Succeeded by||Kalliopi Spanou|
July 15, 1954 |
New York, United States
|Alma mater||University of Athens
|Occupation||Law professor, Public servant|
Georgios Kaminis (Greek: Γεώργιος Καμίνης, born 15 July 1954) is an American Greek professor of constitutional law, and mayor of Athens since December 29, 2010. He was the Greek Ombudsman from April 2003 until September 2010.
Early life 
Giorgos Kaminis was born in New York, where his father, Vasilis Kaminis was working at the time. He took the American citizenship, that he holds even today along with the Greek. At the age of five he left New York and came to Athens.
He studied at the Faculty of Law of the University of Athens, graduating in 1980. He made postgraduate studies in public law at Pantheon-Assas University, gaining a DEA in 1982, followed by the Pantheon-Sorbonne University, where he obtained a doctorat d'État en droit in 1989.
Greek Ombudsman 
Αfter serving as a Deputy Ombudsman for Human Rights, from 1998 to 2003, he served as the Greek Ombudsman from April 2003 until his resignation in September 2010, to run on the oncoming local elections.
Mayor of Athens 
Kaminis was elected Mayor of Athens after the second round of the Greek local elections of 2010. Kaminis, who ran as an independent, had been nominated by the small, newly formed Democratic Left party and was also backed by the country's ruling Panhellenic Socialist Movement, the Ecologist Greens party, and Portokali (Drasi and Liberal Alliance). In the second round of voting he got 52% of the vote and defeated Nikitas Kaklamanis, the right-wing incumbent supported by New Democracy that lost control of the capital, historically a conservative stronghold, for the first time in more than two decades.
Personal life 
- Kaminis, Georges (1993). La transition constitutionnelle en Grèce et en Espagne. Librairie générale de droit et de jurisprudence. ISBN 978-2-275-00532-4.
- Kaminis, Yorgos (1998). Illegally Obtained Evidence and Constitutional Guarantees of Human Rights: The Exclusion of Evidence in Criminal and Civil Proceedings. A. N. Sakkoulas. ISBN 960-232-805-3.
- "10". Ετήσια έκθεση 2003 (in Greek). The Greek Ombudsman. 2003. ISBN 960-87641-1-4. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- "Who is the Greek Ombudsman ?". The Greek Ombudsman. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- Malkoutzis, Nick; Harry van Versendaal (2010-10-29). "In contest for the capital’s heart and soul". Athens Plus. Issue of the Week (123). Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- Hasapopoulos, Nikos (2010-08-29). "Γιώργος Καμίνης Ενας αριστερός Ελληνοαμερικανός για τον Δήμο Αθηναίων". To Vima (in Greek). Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- "To Biografiko tou neou Dimarchos Athinaion Giorgou Kamini" [The CV of the new Mayor of Athens Giorgos Kaminis]. Express (in Greek). 15 November 2010.
- "Greek Ombudsman : Giorgos Kaminis". synigoros.gr. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- "Athens votes in Socialist party for first time in 24 years". AFP. France 24. 2010-11-14. Retrieved 15 November 2010.
- Gilson, George (2010-09-19). "Athens candidate a ‘problem-solver’". Athens News. Retrieved 20 November 2010.
- Gilson, George (2010-11-07). "The race for the top". Athens News. Retrieved 20 November 2010.
- Official website
- "In contest for the capital’s heart and soul" Interview of Giorgios Kaminis in Athens Plus.
|Mayor of Athens