Gibbs and Canning Limited was an English manufacturer of terracotta and, in particular, architectural terracotta, based in Glascote, Tamworth and founded in 1847.
The company manufactured a wide range of terracotta and faience: statues of lions and pelicans to adorn the Natural History Museum in London; architectural terracotta for banks and schools; and garden urns and planters. By the 1950s, when the factory finally closed, it was best known for more practical items such as drainage pipes, sinks, vases and jars.
Today, there is little evidence of the factory in Glascote, but the legacy lives on in the decoration and plumbing of many buildings in Britain’s major towns and cities.
Buildings featuring Gibbs and Canning terracotta
Natural History Museum
London: Every stone and statue is thought to be by Gibbs and Canning inside and out. Living animals on the one wing, and the extinct on the other.
- Natural History Museum, South Kensington, London. Designed by Alfred Waterhouse. Both the interior and exterior statues, and the block-work, are Gibbs and Canning (G&C).
- Royal Albert Hall, South Kensington, London. The buff, ornamental terracotta on the exterior.
- 142 Holborn Bars, Prudential Assurance Building, Holborn, London. Designed by Alfred Waterhouse with all the red terracotta by G&C.
- Methodist Central Hall, Birmingham. Ornate, red terracotta.
- Imperial Buildings, Victoria Street/Whitechapel corner, Liverpool, 1879. Cream terracotta.
- Church of the Holy Name of Jesus, Manchester. Roof vaulting of hollow terracotta blocks, 1869–71.
- Manchester Town Hall Designed, again by Alfred Waterhouse.
- Victoria Law Courts, Birmingham. Interior buff-coloured terracotta.
- Streluk, A. (2006) "Gibbs & Canning of Glascote, Tamworth", Glazed Expressions, No.55 Spring
Natural History Museum U.K
The foundation of the collection was that of the Ulster doctor Sir Hans Sloane (who allowed his significant collections to be purchased by the British Government ...
Birthday Message from London to the Friend in Brazil
The Royal Albert Hall is a concert hall situated on the northern edge of the South Kensington area, in the City of Westminster, London, England, best known for ...
Presentation "Sea Value PLC" Thailand. 2012
Presentation of Sea Value Public Co.,Ltd. - Company Profile - Our factory - Products - Sale Market Presentation since 2012.
2013 AFP Chicago Philanthropy Awards - Outstanding Community Leaders - Grant Achatz & Nick Kokonas
This video is from the 2013 Association of Fundraising Professionals Chicago Chapter Annual Awards Luncheon. World renowned Chef Grant Achatz and his ...
Hot Pepper Jelly With Pineapple Preserve & Mustard : Food Variety
Subscribe Now: http://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=Cookingguide Watch More: http://www.youtube.com/Cookingguide Hot pepper jelly with ...
NRC RUBBER STAMPS RELICENSING WITHOUT SAFETY INSPECTIONS!
Uploaded on Sep 18, 2011 The Nuclear Regulatory Commission has yet to reject a single application to extend an original license, the Associated Press found ...
Electric Pressure Cooker - English
For My Last Memory : Debbie Gibson - Lost In Your Eyes (1988)
"Lost in Your Eyes" is the sixth single from American singer-songwriter, Debbie Gibson, and the first from her second album, Electric Youth. Released in October ...
Canvironment WEEK 2012 Curtain Raiser
Taking a lead from the concept of a world recycling day and the world environment day, 2010 was a year which gave birth to Canvironment Week, 10th -- 17th ...
Wolfgang Puck Bistro 5-quart Electric Pressure Cooker
For More Info or to Buy Now: ...
Sat, 26 Dec 2015 07:00:00 -0800
That terracotta, an integral part of the Birmingham vernacular, was manufactured by Gibbs and Canning Limited of Tamworth , who also produced work for the Law Courts and London's Natural History Museum. It's less ornate than the Law Courts, its visual ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.