8 March 1932 |
Perth, Western Australia
||1966 - present
Gerard Kennedy (born 8 March 1932) is an Australian actor and two-time Gold Logie winner. After playing six different characters in guest appearances in Crawford Productions series Homicide in 1966 he shot to fame as the antagonist in Australian television spy drama Hunter, becoming so popular that his character changed sides, eventually becoming the main character after lead actor Tony Ward left the series. Kennedy won a TV Week Logie Award for 'Best New Talent' for his portrayal of the character. Kennedy followed this with a starring role in police procedural television series, Division 4, winning multiple Logie Awards—including two Gold Logies as most popular personality on Australian TV—for his work in the series. He has consistently acted in Australian television and film productions since that time.
Later regular television series roles included Bellbird in 1977, the miniseries Against the Wind in 1978, Skyways in 1979–1981, Golden Pennies in 1985, and The Flying Doctors between 1986-1989 (non-consecutive episodes). Guest TV roles include appearances in Carson's Law, Prisoner, A Country Practice, Blue Heelers, City Homicide, and Neighbours. In 2008 he played Graham "The Munster" Kinniburgh in Underbelly and in Fat Tony & Co..
Film roles include: Eliza Fraser (1976), Raw Deal (1977), The Mango Tree (1977), Newsfront (1978), The Irishman (1978), The Last of the Knucklemen (1979), Fatty Finn (1980), The Plains of Heaven (1982), The Lighthorsemen (1987), Running from the Guns (1987), Garbo (1992), Body Melt (1993), Ebbtide (1994), The Inner Sanctuary(1996), Plains Empty (2005), and Lucky Miles (2007).
- 1967 - TV Week Logie Award (Best New Talent) - Hunter
- 1969 - Penguin Award
- 1970 - Penguin Award (Leading Talent in Drama Series) - Division 4
- 1971 - TV Week Gold Logie (Australia's Top Male Personality)
- 1972 - TV Week Logie Award (Best Actor) - Division 4
- 1972 - TV Week Gold Logie (Australia's Top Male Personality)
- 1973 - TV Week Logie Award (Best Actor) - Division 4
- 1979 - Australian TV and Film Award (Best Actor in a TV Series) - Against the Wind
- 1987 - Penguin Award (Best Performance by an Actor in a Series/Serial) - The Flying Doctors
- ^ Kimball, Duncan. "Logies". MilesAgo Television. MILESAGO: Australasian Music and Popular Culture 1964-1975. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- ^ Storey, Don. "Hunter". Classic Australian Television. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- ^ Storey, Don. "Division 4". Classic Australian Television. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- ^ "Division 4". National Film & Sound Archive. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- ^ "Division 4". Crawford Productions. Retrieved 15 March 2013.
- ^ "Gold Logie Winners". PerthNow. 1971. Retrieved 14 March 2013.
- ^ Myall, Robert. "Bellbird". Aussie Soap Archive. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- ^ Ziffer, Daniel (14 February 2008). "Underbelly wins Ratings War". The Age. Retrieved 14 March 2013.