George Barger in the 1920s
George Barger FRS FRSE FCS LLD (4 April 1878 – 5 January 1939) was a British chemist.
He was born to an English mother, Eleanor Higginbotham, and Gerrit Barger, a Dutch engineer in Manchester, England.
He was educated at Utrecht and The Hague High School and King's College, Cambridge. His main work focused on the study of alkaloids and investigations of simple nitrogenous compounds of biological importance. Barger identified tyramine as one of the compounds responsible for the biological activity of ergot extracts. He also made significant contributions to the synthesis of thyroxine. and vitamin B1
In 1936 and 1937 he worked with Joseph John Blackie searching for materials for research.
Barger was elected a Fellow of the Royal Society in May, 1919 and awarded their Davy Medal in 1938.
Barger was married to Florence Emily Thomas in 1904 and had two sons and one daughter.
He died at Aeschi, Switzerland.
- Regius professor of chemistry, University of Glasgow, 1937–1939
- Professor of chemistry in relation to medicine, University of Edinburgh, 1919–1937
- Professor of chemistry, Royal Holloway College, University of London, 1913–1914
- Head of Chemical Department, Goldsmiths' College, 1909–1913
- Fellow of King's College, Cambridge, 1903–1909
- Some Applications of Organic Chemistry to Biology and Chemistry (1930)
- Organic Chemistry for Medical Students (1932)
- Britons discover synthetic thyroxin, T.R. Ybarra, New York Times, Sunday 12 December 1927
Edinburgh Evening News
Edinburgh Evening News
Fri, 03 Jul 2015 22:48:45 -0700
Her first year of study saw her take classes under professors James Hartley Asworth, George Barger and William Wright Smith, and she went on to pass her first professional exams in 1932. The Advisor of Women Students wrote at the time that Stephanie ...
Fri, 20 Jun 2014 21:41:15 -0700
Chanel Lea Williams, 22, and Daniel Jacob Conzett, 23, both of Bettendorf. Cynthia Lynn Williams, 57, and Michele Lynn Mead, 52, both of Johnston. Patricia Mae Williams, 41, and Steven George Barger, 46, both of Indianola. Ronald Gene Williams Jr., 43, ...
Mid Columbia Tri City Herald
Sat, 06 Aug 2011 02:06:55 -0700
Laurie (George) Barger of Kennewick is looking forward to reconnecting with the estimated 600 classmates planning to attend one or more of the weekend's events. "Pasco High was our big rival when we were kids, and though I love the color purple, black ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.