20 December 1950 |
|Institutions||University of Cambridge|
|Alma mater||King Edward's School, Merton College, Oxford|
|Thesis||Random Fields and Random Graphs (1974)|
|Doctoral advisor||John Hammersley, Dominic Welsh|
Geoffrey Richard Grimmett (born 20 December 1950)  is a mathematician known for his work on the mathematics of random systems arising in probability theory and statistical mechanics, especially percolation theory and the contact process. He is the Professor of Mathematical Statistics in the Statistical Laboratory, University of Cambridge, and the Master of Downing College, Cambridge.
Grimmett was educated at King Edward's School, Birmingham and Merton College, Oxford. He graduated in 1971, and completed his PhD in 1974 under the supervision of John Hammersley and Dominic Welsh. He was the IBM Research Fellow at New College, Oxford from 1974–1976 before moving to Bristol University. He was appointed Professor of Mathematical Statistics at Cambridge University in 1992, becoming a fellow of Churchill College. He was Director of the Statistical Laboratory from 1994–2000, Head of the Department of Pure Mathematics and Mathematical Statistics from 2002–2007, and is a trustee of the Rollo Davidson Trust.
Grimmett was awarded the Rollo Davidson Prize in 1989. He was the managing editor of the journal Probability Theory and Related Fields from 2000–2005, and was appointed managing editor of Probability Surveys in 2009.
- Who's Who.
- "Geoffrey Grimmett's homepage at Cambridge University".
- "Geoffrey Grimmett's publications on Google Scholar".
- Geoffrey Grimmett at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- "Fellows of the Colleges: Churchill". Cambridge University Reporter. University of Cambridge. 2 October 2008. Retrieved 7 May 2009.
- "Trustees of the Rollo Davidson Trust".
- "SR/Olympic Sports".
- Grimmett, G. R. (1999). Percolation. Springer.
- Grimmett, G. R.; Stirzaker, D. R. (2001). Probability and Random Processes. Oxford University Press.
- Grimmett, G. R. (2006). The Random-Cluster Model. Springer. doi:10.1007/978-3-540-32891-9.
- Grimmett, G. R. (2010). Probability on Graphs. Cambridge University Press.
|Master of Downing College, Cambridge
|This article about a United Kingdom mathematician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a statistician from the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This biographical article related to fencing in the United Kingdom is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|