|Gateshead and District Tramways|
Car 10 preserved at the Beamish Museum
|Open||22 October 1883|
|Close||4 August 1951|
|Track gauge||1,435 mm (4 ft 8 1⁄2 in)|
|Propulsion system(s)||Steam then Electric|
|Route length||12.47 miles (20.07 km)|
The Gateshead and District Tramways commenced services on 22 October 1883 with steam hauled tramcars operating on three routes centred on Gateshead High Street.
In 1897, British Electric Traction took ownership of the company and the Gateshead and District Tramways Act of 1899 authorised the modernisation and electrification of the system.
The last tram operated on 4 August 1951. Several tramcars survived the closure. Nineteen cars were sold to the Grimsby & Immingham Electric Railway. Two of these survived into preservation. No 5 is at the National Tramway Museum and No 10 is at the Beamish Museum
- The Golden Age of Tramways. Published by Taylor and Francis.
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.