|Body and chassis|
|Class||6-speed transverse automatic transmission|
The Hydra-Matic 6T40 and similar 6T45 and 6T30 are transversely-mounted six speed automatic transmissions produced by General Motors. The 6T40, referred to in GM inner circles as the GF6, made its debut in the 2008 Chevrolet Malibu, available with the 2.4 litre LE5 Ecotec engine making 164 horsepower (122 kW), and has since also be made available on the Chevrolet Cruze, Daewoo Tosca and Buick LaCrosse. It features clutch to clutch shifting, eliminating the bands used on older transmission designs. GM chose an "on-axis" design as opposed to folding the gearset behind the engine and transferring power through the use of a chain, as is used in most other GM front wheel drive transaxles.
The 6T45 differs from the 6T40 in its use of heavier-duty components, allowing it to handle engines with greater torque. The 6T40 will be available in front-wheel drive configuration only (MH8), but the 6T45 will be adaptable to both FWD (MH7) and all-wheel drive (MHC). The transmission is based on the larger 6T70/75, and will be produced at Toledo,Ohio, as well as at an undisclosed Shanghai GM location. Since 2008, these transmissions have been produced by GM Daewoo at the Boryeong Transmission Plant in Boryeong, South Korea. The facility is currently capable of producing up to 300,000 Hydra-Matic six-speed automatic transmissions annually.
6T30 is a recent more compact and lightweight variant used on 1.8l engine equipped variants of the North American Chevrolet Cruze and Chevrolet Sonic. The 6T40 is still used with models equipped with the 1.4l turbocharged engine.
Gear ratios (6T40):
- 2008 Chevrolet Cruze/Daewoo Lacetti Premiere/Holden Cruze
- 2008 Chevrolet Malibu
- 2008 Daewoo Tosca/Chevrolet Epica/Chevrolet Tosca/Holden Epica
- 2008 Buick LaCrosse (China)
- 2009 Saturn Aura (4-cylinder only)
- 2010 Chevrolet Equinox/GMC Terrain
- 2010 Opel Astra/Vauxhall Astra
- 2010 Buick Regal
- 2011 Chevrolet Aveo
- 2012 Buick LaCrosse (USA) with eAssist
- 2012 Chevrolet Sonic
- 2013 Chevrolet Trax (Korea)
- 2014 Chevrolet Onix (Brazil)
- 2013 Buick Encore (U.S.)
- 2013 Chevy Captiva Sport (U.S.)
- ""Technologically Advanced Transmissions Enter GM Fleet" in Auto Trends". Retrieved June 3, 2008.
- "First Drive: 2011 Buick Regal is a genuine German sports sedan". Retrieved 5 May 2010.
- "2012 LaCrosse Comes Standard With New eAssist™ Fuel-Saving Technology, For 37 Mpg Highway Fuel Economy In A Full-Size Sedan" (Press release). General Motors. 2010-11-15. Retrieved 2010-12-04.