|This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
Fred Edward Fiedler (born July 13, 1922) is one of the leading researchers in Industrial and organizational psychology of the 20th century.
He was business and management psychologist at the University of Washington.
He helped this field move from the research on traits and personal characteristics of leaders, to leadership styles and behaviours. In 1967 he introduced the contingency modeling of leadership, with the now-famous Fiedler contingency model.
Fred Fiedlers work with the contingency model of leadership provided an answer to the failings of the trait and behavioral theories and added to the understanding of the dynamics of leadership.
Sources and bibliography
- Ashour, A.S. (1973) ‘The Contingency Model of Leadership Effectiveness: An Evaluation’, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 9(3): 339–55.
- Bass, B.M. (1990) ‘Leader March’, a Handbook of Leadership, New York: The Free Press, 494–510, 651–2, 840–41.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1958) Leader Attitudes and Group Effectiveness, Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1967) A Theory of Leadership Effectiveness, New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1971) Leadership, New York: General Learning Press.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1981) Leader Attitudes and Group Effectiveness, Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishing Group.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1992) ‘Life in a Pretzel-shaped Universe’, in A.G. Bedeian (ed.), Management Laureates: A Collection of Autobiographical Essays, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, vol. 1, 301–34.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1994) Leadership Experience and Leadership Performance, Alexandria, VA: US Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1997) Directory of the American Psychological Association, Chicago: St James Press, 419.
- Fiedler, F.E. and Chemers, M.M. (1974) Leadership and Effective Management, Glenview, IL: Scott, Foresman and Co.
- Fiedler, F.E. and Garcia, J.E. (1987) New Approaches to Leadership, Cognitive Resources and Organizational Performance, New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Fiedler, F.E., Chemers, M.M. and Mahar, L. (1976) Improving Leadership Effectiveness: The Leader Match Concept, New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Fiedler, F.E., Garcia, J.E. and Lewis, C.T. (1986) People Management, and Productivity, Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Fiedler, F.E., Gibson, F.W. and Barrett, K.M. (1993) ‘Stress, Babble, and the Utilization of the Leader’s Intellectual Abilities’, Leadership Quarterly 4(2): 189–208.
- Fiedler, F.E., Godfrey, E.P. and Hall, D.M. (1959) Boards, Management and Company Success, Danville, IL: Interstate Publishers.
- Hooijberg, R. and Choi, J. (1999) "From Austria to the United States and from Evaluating Therapists to Developing Cognitive Resources Theory: An Interview with Fred Fiedler", Leadership Quarterly 10(4): 653–66.
- King, B., Streufert, S. and Fiedler, F.E. (1978) Managerial Control and Organizational Democracy, Washington, DC: V.H. Winston and Sons.
- Schriesheim, C.A. and Kerr, S. (1977a) "Theories and Measures of Leadership", in J.G. Hunt, and L.L. Larson (eds), Leadership: The Cutting Edge, Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 9–45.
- Fiedler, F.E. 1977b) "R.I.P LPC: A Response to Fiedler", in J.G. Hunt, and L.L. Larson (eds), Leadership: The Cutting Edge, Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 51–6.
- Vecchio, R.P. (1977) "An Empirical Examination of the Validity of Fiedler’s Model of Leadership Effectiveness", Organizational Behavior and Human Performance 19: 180–206.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1983) ‘Assessing the Validity of Fiedler’s Contingency Model of Leadership Effectiveness: A Closer look at Strube and Garcia’, Psychological Bulletin 93: 404–8.
Mackay Daily Mercury
Mackay Daily Mercury
Tue, 12 May 2015 13:06:55 -0700
Use this content. Josh Fiedler rides with his dad Fred Fiedler. Lee Constable. Related Items. Gruelling adventure challenge a tribute to Zach Roberts · Cycling: It's more than a mode of transport · Mountain bikes a focus for tae kwon do fighter · Brrrr ...
Tue, 15 Sep 2015 15:15:03 -0700
Scholars began to favor “contingency models,” focusing on the context in which leaders operate. The social psychologist Fred Fiedler of the University of Washington suggested that the secret of good leadership lies in discovering the “perfect match ...
East Hampton Star
East Hampton Star
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 08:22:30 -0700
“Our main goal was that people not abuse the Square,” said Fred Fiedler, its property manager. “It isn't for beachgoers. Now people seem to get a spot much quicker.” The tenants had complained for several years, he said, that people were parking at the ...
Pittsburgh Business Times
Pittsburgh Business Times
Wed, 08 Oct 2014 10:48:45 -0700
... Homes the security of being an integral member of a larger, cutting-edge, aging services organization, while also allowing us to maintain our charitable assets and local roots,” Presbyterian Homes Board Chair Fred Fiedler said in a prepared statement.
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 10:30:16 -0800
A Southold man is one of five Long Islanders who has died while trying to remove snow dumped by the weekend's powerful blizzard, authorities said. Southold police said Fred Fiedler, 73, a retired town police officer, died early Saturday while removing ...
Sun, 23 Aug 2015 18:30:00 -0700
... la gente desarrollaba más a gusto su trabajo cuando era recompensada por ello; Jacob Moreno, ideó la Sicometría para estudiar las interacciones del grupo; Fred Fiedler habló sobre el liderazgo como tema importante del comportamiento organizacional.
Wed, 21 Oct 2015 04:03:55 -0700
Emmering - Im Urlaub in der Sonne liegen und Fünfe gerade sein lassen – das ist nichts für Elisabeth Stüber und Fred Fiedler. Seit ein paar Jahren sind die Emmeringer regelmäßig mit einem Rallye-Auto quer durch die Welt unterwegs. Sie lieben diese ...
Fri, 09 May 2014 19:04:49 -0700
There was success for Whitsunday locals in the various categories with seasoned campaigner Fred Fiedler showing no signs of slowing down - winning the male 50+ category and finishing sixth overall in 1:56:54. At the other end of the age scale; Hamilton ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.