|This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.
Fred Edward Fiedler (born July 13, 1922) is one of the leading researchers in Industrial and organizational psychology of the 20th century.
He was business and management psychologist at the University of Washington.
He helped this field move from the research on traits and personal characteristics of leaders, to leadership styles and behaviours. In 1967 he introduced the contingency modeling of leadership, with the now-famous Fiedler contingency model.
Fred Fiedlers work with the contingency model of leadership provided an answer to the failings of the trait and behavioral theories and added to the understanding of the dynamics of leadership.
The Fiedler contingency model
Sources and Bibliography
- Ashour, A.S. (1973) ‘The Contingency Model of Leadership Effectiveness: An Evaluation’, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes, 9(3): 339–55.
- Bass, B.M. (1990) ‘Leader March’, a Handbook of Leadership, New York: The Free Press, 494–510, 651–2, 840–41.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1958) Leader Attitudes and Group Effectiveness, Urbana, IL: University of Illinois Press.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1967) A Theory of Leadership Effectiveness, New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1971) Leadership, New York: General Learning Press.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1981) Leader Attitudes and Group Effectiveness, Westport, CT: Greenwood Publishing Group.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1992) ‘Life in a Pretzel-shaped Universe’, in A.G. Bedeian (ed.), Management Laureates: A Collection of Autobiographical Essays, Greenwich, CT: JAI Press, vol. 1, 301–34.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1994) Leadership Experience and Leadership Performance, Alexandria, VA: US Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1997) Directory of the American Psychological Association, Chicago: St James Press, 419.
- Fiedler, F.E. and Chemers, M.M. (1974) Leadership and Effective Management, Glenview, IL: Scott, Foresman and Co.
- Fiedler, F.E. and Garcia, J.E. (1987) New Approaches to Leadership, Cognitive Resources and Organizational Performance, New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Fiedler, F.E., Chemers, M.M. and Mahar, L. (1976) Improving Leadership Effectiveness: The Leader Match Concept, New York: John Wiley and Sons.
- Fiedler, F.E., Garcia, J.E. and Lewis, C.T. (1986) People Management, and Productivity, Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Fiedler, F.E., Gibson, F.W. and Barrett, K.M. (1993) ‘Stress, Babble, and the Utilization of the Leader’s Intellectual Abilities’, Leadership Quarterly 4(2): 189–208.
- Fiedler, F.E., Godfrey, E.P. and Hall, D.M. (1959) Boards, Management and Company Success, Danville, IL: Interstate Publishers.
- Hooijberg, R. and Choi, J. (1999) "From Austria to the United States and from Evaluating Therapists to Developing Cognitive Resources Theory: An Interview with Fred Fiedler", Leadership Quarterly 10(4): 653–66.
- King, B., Streufert, S. and Fiedler, F.E. (1978) Managerial Control and Organizational Democracy, Washington, DC: V.H. Winston and Sons.
- Schriesheim, C.A. and Kerr, S. (1977a) "Theories and Measures of Leadership", in J.G. Hunt, and L.L. Larson (eds), Leadership: The Cutting Edge, Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 9–45.
- Fiedler, F.E. 1977b) "R.I.P LPC: A Response to Fiedler", in J.G. Hunt, and L.L. Larson (eds), Leadership: The Cutting Edge, Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 51–6.
- Vecchio, R.P. (1977) "An Empirical Examination of the Validity of Fiedler’s Model of Leadership Effectiveness", Organizational Behavior and Human Performance 19: 180–206.
- Fiedler, F.E. (1983) ‘Assessing the Validity of Fiedler’s Contingency Model of Leadership Effectiveness: A Closer look at Strube and Garcia’, Psychological Bulletin 93: 404–8.
Tue, 21 Apr 2015 18:30:00 -0700
Nicht alle, aber auch zahlreiche Bewohner des "Schützhauses" nehmen die Leistungen des Pflegedienstes in Anspruch. Etwa die Hälfte der Wohnungen sei bereits bezogen, darunter auch die wenigen Zwei-Raum-Wohnungen, sagt Fred Fiedler, Mitglied der ...
East Hampton Star
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 08:22:30 -0700
“Our main goal was that people not abuse the Square,” said Fred Fiedler, its property manager. “It isn't for beachgoers. Now people seem to get a spot much quicker.” The tenants had complained for several years, he said, that people were parking at the ...
Pittsburgh Business Times
Wed, 08 Oct 2014 11:00:00 -0700
Presbyterian Homes of Lake Erie has utilized the management expertise and support services of Presbyterian SeniorCare for the past six years. According to Presbyterian Homes Board Chair, Fred Fiedler, strong progress has been made on numerous fronts ...
Wed, 25 Dec 2013 06:02:13 -0800
A former Southold policeman and firefighter — 72-year-old Fred Fiedler — died during the blizzard, when he suffered a heart attack while clearing away the piling snow. The nor'easter struck the night of Feb. 8 into that weekend, dumping the most snow ...
Fri, 09 May 2014 19:04:49 -0700
There was success for Whitsunday locals in the various categories with seasoned campaigner Fred Fiedler showing no signs of slowing down - winning the male 50+ category and finishing sixth overall in 1:56:54. At the other end of the age scale; Hamilton ...
Wed, 13 Feb 2013 10:30:16 -0800
Southold police said Fred Fiedler, 73, a retired town police officer, died early Saturday while removing snow from his home on Reydon Drive in Southold. Fiedler was using a snowblower to clear his driveway when he apparently had a heart attack, police ...
Sat, 04 May 2013 19:11:03 -0700
To top off the good news for the triathlon club Fred Fiedler snared a third place in the Sarina Triathlon. Fiedler will be looking forward to the upcoming few months where his strongest discipline, the run, can come to the fore when the local running ...
Mon, 02 Mar 2015 04:33:20 -0800
Vorsitzender bleibt Andreas König, seine Stellvertreterin ist Kathi Wüst. Schriftführer bleibt Manfred Clement, Beisitzer sind Helga Ludwig und Fred Fiedler. Maria Mathei, bisherige Kassenführerin, wollte nach 25 Jahren ihr Amt in jüngere Hände legen ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.