|The Most Excellent
The Duke of Seville
Coat of arms of the 5th Duke of Seville
16 November 1943 |
|Title||Duke of Seville
Grandee of Spain
|Predecessor||Enriqueta de Borbón y Parade, 4th Duchess of Seville|
Francisco de Borbón y Escasany, 5th Duke of Seville, Grandee of Spain (Spanish: Don Francisco de Paula de Borbón y Escasany, Duque de Sevilla y Grande de España; born 16 November 1943), is the current Duke of Seville and a distant relative of the Spanish Royal Family. He is a businessman and has been involved in banking, real estate and other commercial activities.
Francisco was born in Madrid and is the eldest child of Francisco de Borbón y Borbón (1912–1995), who was the son of Francisco de Borbón y de la Torre and Enriqueta de Borbón y Parade, 4th Duchess of Seville. Francisco's mother was Enriqueta Escasany y Miguel (1925–1962), the daughter of Ignacio Escasany y Ancell and Enriqueta de Miguel y Mas, the 2nd Marquesa of Pobla de Claramunt.
His paternal grandparents were first cousins, both being grandchildren of Infante Enrique of Spain. Francisco is a member of the Spanish branch of the House of Bourbon and is a relative of King Juan Carlos I of Spain, since both of them are male-line descendants of King Charles IV of Spain.
Duke of Seville
After the death of his grandmother, Enriqueta de Borbón y Parade, Francisco inherited the title of Duke of Seville. His father had renounced his own rights to succeed to the title.
Marriages and children
Francisco was married on 7 July 1973 at Baden-Baden to Countess Beatrice of Hardenberg and Fürstenberg (born 1947), daughter of Günther, Count of Hardenberg, and his wife Princess Maria Josepha of Fürstenberg. The couple had three children and subsequently divorced.
They have two daughters and one son:
- Olivia de Borbón y von Hardenberg-Fürstenberg (born 6 April 1974), entrepreneur and PR for jewelry brands
- Cristina de Borbón y von Hardenberg-Fürstenberg (born 2 September 1975), chef and catering service operator
- Francisco de Borbón y von Hardenberg-Fürstenberg (born 21 January 1979), entrepreneur and also appeared on the first season of TLC's reality television series, Secret Princes.
Francisco married for the second time on 19 October 1991 at Vienna to Isabelle Karanitsch (born 1959). They had no children and divorced in 1993. He married for the third time on 2 September 2000 at Marbella to María de los Angeles de Vargas-Zuñiga (born 1958). They have no children.
The Order of Saint Lazarus
Francisco was elected as the 48th Grand Master of the Order of Saint Lazarus (Malta Obedience) in 1996. He succeeded his father, who had been Grand Master of the Order since the 1950s. Francisco retired from his position of Grand Master in 2008 and was succeeded by his cousin, Don Carlos Gereda y de Borbón, Marqués de Almazán. Francisco was then given the title of Grand Master Emeritus.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 16 November 1943 – 1968: Don Francisco de Borbón y Escasany
- 1968 – present: The Most Excellent The Duke of Seville
- Grand Master Emeritus of the Order of Saint Lazarus
- Consejero Magistral (President) of the Corps of the Asturian Nobility
- Knight of the Order of the Eagle of Georgia and the Seamless Tunic of Our Lord Jesus Christ
|Ancestors of Francisco de Borbón y Escasany, 5th Duke of Seville|
Notes and sources
- Profile, Genealogics.org; accessed 18 February 2015.
- Profile, thePeerage.com; accessed 18 February 2015.
- The Royal House of Stuart, London, 1969, 1971, 1976, Addington, A. C., Reference: II 97
Enriqueta de Borbón y Parade
|Duke of Seville
Olivia de Borbón y von Hardenberg-Fürstenberg
|Titles in pretence|
|Legitimist line of succession
to the French throne
Francisco de Borbón y von Hardenberg-Fürstenberg
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.