|Fletcher Field Airport|
|2006 USGS airphoto|
|IATA: CKM – ICAO: KCKM – FAA LID: CKM|
|Owner||Coahoma County Airport Board|
|Location||Coahoma County, near Clarksdale, Mississippi|
|Elevation AMSL||173 ft / 53 m|
|Source: Federal Aviation Administration|
Fletcher Field Airport (IATA: CKM, ICAO: KCKM, FAA LID: CKM) is a county-owned public-use airport located seven nautical miles (13 km) northeast of the central business district of Clarksdale, a city in Coahoma County, Mississippi, United States. The airport serves the general aviation community, with no scheduled commercial airline service.
Fletcher Field, was opened on 5 July 1942 and used by the United States Army Air Forces as a contract basic flying training airfield. It was operated by the 2154th Air Base Unit, Contract Elementary Flying School (AAFFTC), Clarksdale School of Aviation. Students were trained on Fairchild PT-23 and Boeing-Stearman PT-17 trainers. Known sub-bases and auxiliaries assigned to the field were:
- Clarksdale Auxiliary Field
- Ellis Auxiliary Field (Undetermined Location)
It operated until 14 October 1944 when the last class graduated. The equipment and aircraft at the base were declared excess and sold in November. The airfield was then turned over to civil authorities as an airport.
Facilities and aircraft 
Fletcher Field covers an area of 252 acres (102 ha) at an elevation of 173 feet (53 m) above mean sea level. It has one asphalt paved runway designated 18/36 which measures 5,404 by 100 feet (1,647 x 30 m).
For the 12-month period ending August 29, 2007, the airport had 29,980 aircraft operations, an average of 82 per day: 99% general aviation and <1% military.vAt that time there were 11 aircraft based at this airport:v73% single-engine, 18% multi-engine and 9% jet.
See also 
- Shaw, Frederick J. (2004), Locating Air Force Base Sites History’s Legacy, Air Force History and Museums Program, United States Air Force, Washington DC, 2004.
- Manning, Thomas A. (2005), History of Air Education and Training Command, 1942–2002. Office of History and Research, Headquarters, AETC, Randolph AFB, Texas ASIN: B000NYX3PC
- Clarksdale/Coahoma County Chamber of Commerce: Fletcher Field
- FAA Terminal Procedures for CKM, effective May 2, 2013
- Resources for this airport:
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.