"Fame" is a pop song, written by Michael Gore (music) and Dean Pitchford (lyrics) that was released in 1980, and achieved chart success as the theme song to the Fame film and TV series. The song was performed by Irene Cara, who played the role of Coco Hernandez in the original movie. It won the Academy Award for Best Original Song in 1980, and the Golden Globe Award for the same.
The tune was later used as the theme song for the Fame television series, which aired from 1982 to 1987. It was also used in other TV shows related to Fame.
Chart and sales performance 
"Fame" rose to number four on the Billboard Hot 100 in August 1980. It also reached number one on the Billboard dance chart for one week. The song was not released in the United Kingdom until 1982, thus coinciding with the UK premiere of the Fame television series in the future. It hit number one in the UK Singles Chart for three weeks. It has sold 1,050,000 copies in the UK as of November 2012. The song also reached number one in Flanders, Ireland, the Netherlands and New Zealand, and number three in Sweden.
Cover versions 
- The theme song for the Fame television series was performed by Erica Gimpel (who portrayed Coco Hernandez), and later by Loretta Chandler (who portrayed Dusty Tyler).
- Alvin and the Chipmunks recorded a cover of this song for their 1982 album The Chipmunks Go Hollywood.
- A French language version, "Aime", was released by Noam in 1980.
- A Finnish-language cover version, "Me emme laske viiteen", was included on Mona Carita's 1983 album Mikä Fiilis!.
- In 2000, a eurodance cover was recorded by Swedish session singer Nana Hedin. An audio sample can be heard on her official website.
- A dance cover version was released by a European girl group called Models.
- French progressive-metal band Adagio covered the song on their 2005 release entitled Dominate.
- Japanese pop duo Pink Lady covered the song in Japanese, retitling it "Remember".
- Nerdcore/hip hop artist Shael Riley recorded a cover, which is available for download on the internet.
- Naturi Naughton covered the song for the 2009 film Fame, reaching #33 in the UK chart.
- A Turkish-language cover version, "Unutma / Don't forget", was included on group Hepsi's 2010 album Geri Dönüşüm.
Live cover performances 
Appearances in other media 
See also 
||This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2010)
External links 
- "Fame" Lyrics by Dean Pitchford, Music by Michael Gore (1980)
- "Arthur's Theme (Best That You Can Do)" Music & Lyrics by Peter Allen, Burt Bacharach, Christopher Cross, & Carole Bayer Sager (1981)
- "Up Where We Belong" Lyrics by Wilbur Jennings, Music by Jack Nitzsche & Buffy Sainte-Marie (1982)
- "Flashdance... What a Feeling" Lyrics by Irene Cara, Keith Forsey, Music by Giorgio Moroder (1983)
- "I Just Called to Say I Love You" Music & Lyrics by Stevie Wonder (1984)
- "Say You, Say Me" Music & Lyrics by Lionel Richie (1985)
- "Take My Breath Away" Lyrics by Tom Whitlock, Music by Giorgio Moroder (1986)
- "(I've Had) The Time of My Life" Lyrics by Franke Previte, Music by John DeNicola & Donald Markowitz (1987)
- "Let the River Run" Music & Lyrics by Carly Simon/"Two Hearts" Lyrics by Phil Collins, Music by Lamont Dozier (1988)
- "Under the Sea" Lyrics by Howard Ashman, Music by Alan Menken (1989)
Fame- Irene Cara
From the motion picture Fame.
Fame - Irene Cara
One of the best songs of the 80's. From the album Number one's of the eightes it's Fame by Irene Cara http://www.maploco.com/view.php?id=28...
IRENE CARA - Fame [the original]
DISCLAIMER: From the movie "Fame", 1980 Owned by Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer [MGM]. Administered by Warner Bros. Music by Michael Gore Lyrics by Lesley Gore RSO Metr...
Irene Cara: Fame
The story was that a BBC News team shot this video of Irene Cara in New York for Top of the Pops at a time just before having a lavish music video for your s...
Fame in the Style of "Irene Cara" with lyrics (no lead vocal)
Download this karaoke song (MP3, MP4, WMV or MP3+G formats available) http://www.thekaraokechannel.com/store/store.html?vid=20081002001&cid=4042&keyword=Fame...
Irene Cara - Fame
irene cara fame great song fame song:fame.
Irene Cara - Fame 1982
Good quality video recorded from Top Of The Pops 1982. Irene Cara (born March 18, 1959) is an American singer and actress. Cara won an Academy Award in 1984 ...
IRENE CARA - Fame (on vinyl)
Fame" is a pop song, written by Michael Gore (music) and Dean Pitchford (lyrics) that was released in 1980, and achieved chart success as the theme song to t...
Irene Cara-Fame (Karaoke)
The hit Pop song Fame - ITSO - Irene Cara! Available now for download on www.KaraokeCloud.com.
Irene Cara *Fame*
Irene Cara - Fame "1982" This video is only fan made and a tribute to Irene Cara! I love that song.
We're sorry, but there's no news about "Fame (Irene Cara song)" right now.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Fame (Irene Cara song) with people all over the world in our discussions.