||This article needs additional citations for verification. (June 2008)|
It is the oldest bicycle shop in the Bradford area still in business today.
Since 1936 Ellis Briggs have produced lightweight bicycles and continue to do so to this day.
Ellis Briggs Cycles was founded in 1936 by Mr. Leonard Ellis and Mr. Thomas Briggs hence the name Ellis-Briggs.
When the shop opened in 1936 there was already a bicycle shop in Shipley. That shop was a showroom for Baines, whose factory was based in Idle and were famous for producing the Baines Flying Gate.
The shop survived through the war by selling what ever was available which included children's clothing and enamel paints, as well as the usual cycling lines.
It was after the war when Ellis Briggs started building lightweight racing frames, which gained them much notoriety among racing cyclists.
Attention turned to the export markets of the USA and Canada and during the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s hundreds of frames were exported to the other side of the Atlantic.
After Thomas Briggs died in 1953 his son Jack took over the business with his wife Nora.
In 1965 the shop and factory moved out of the old premises and moved across the road into a brand new building.
Jack and Nora Briggs retired in 1986. Their two sons John and Paul, had been working in the shop since the 1960s, Paul as a mechanic and John as Salesman. John and Paul took over and have run the business ever since.
See also 
- Shipley Times and Express 1944 p. 6
- Bingley and Shipley Guardian Chronicle, 4 June 1965, p. 3
- "Ken Russell the Whitaker and Mapplebeck Years".