||The examples and perspective in this article or section might have an extensive bias or disproportional coverage towards one or more specific regions. (January 2010)
Election law is a discipline falling at the juncture of constitutional law and political science. It researches "the politics of law and the law of politics".
Some of the questions that are addressed by election law are:
- Which persons are entitled to vote in an election (e.g. age, residency or literacy requirements, or poll taxes), and the procedures by which such persons must register to vote or present identification in order to vote
- Which persons are entitled to hold office (for example, age, residency, birth or citizenship requirements), and the procedures candidates must follow to appear on the ballot (such as the formatting and filing of nominating petitions) and rules governing write-in candidates
- The rules about what subjects may be submitted to a direct popular vote through a referendum or plebiscite, and the rules that governmental agencies or citizen groups must follow to place questions on the ballot for public consideration
- The framework by which political parties may organize their internal government, and how they select candidates to run for political office (e.g. primary elections)
- The financing of elections (e.g. contribution limits, rules for public financing of elections, the public disclosure of contributors, and rules governing interest groups other than a candidate's campaign organization)
- The requirements for creating districts which elect representatives to a legislative assembly (examples include congressional districts, ridings or wards within a municipality)
- What restrictions are placed on campaign advocacy (such as rules on anonymous or false advertising)
- How votes are cast at an election (including whether to use a paper ballot, or some other form of recording votes such as a mechanical voting machine or electronic voting device, and how information is presented to voters on the ballot or device)
- How votes are counted at an election, recounts, and election challenges
- Whether, and how, voters or candidates may file legal actions in a court of law or administrative agency to enforce their rights or contest the outcome of an election
- Definition of electoral fraud and other crimes against the electoral system
- The sources of election law (for example, constitutions, national statutes, state statutes, or judicial decisions) and the interplay between these sources of law
American election law experts and academics are connected in the academic network coordinated by Daniel H. Lowenstein of UCLA Law School and Richard L. Hasen of UC Irvine Law School. Lowenstein and Hasen also edit the Election Law Journal and the election law mailing list.
Sources of Election Law
Regimes in Comparative Law
||This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2013)
||This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (October 2013)
- Election Law Journal - A scholarly journal devoted to election law
- Election Law @ Moritz - a repository of Election Law news and commentary from academics and practitioners, compiled at the Ohio State Michael E. Moritz College of Law.
- Electoral Studies - A scholarly journal devoted to the study of elections
- Samuel Issacharoff, Pamela S. Karlan & Richard H. Pildes. The Law of Democracy: Legal Structure of the Political Process. 2nd Rev. Ed. Foundation Press, 2002.
- Daniel H. Lowenstein & Richard L. Hasen. Election Law: Cases and Materials. 3rd Ed. Carolina Press, 2004.
- Dennis F. Thompson, Just Elections: Creating a Fair Electoral Process in the U.S. University of Chicago Press, 2004. ISBN 978-0226797649
- Electoral Administration Act 2006
Richard Hasen on the State of Election Law After the 2012 Election
Richard L. Hasen, the Chancellor's Professor of Law and Political Science at the University of California, Irvine, recently spoke at the University of Virgin...
This week the panel discusses whether there will be a repeal of Ohio's new election law.
Karpal: 'Najib violated election law'
DAP chairperson Karpal Singh has accused Prime Minister Najib Abdul Razak of blatant vote buying during the Sibu by-election which was concluded yesterday. H...
Ammend Election Law - Newsfile on Joy News (21-6-14)
The Chairman of the Electoral Commission, Dr. Afari Gyan wants the election law amended. Video upload by: Barima Osei Asare (email@example.com)
Obama Not Subject to Election Law
For hundreds of great videos, visit: http://www.CleanTV.com Guess who's not subject to Florida election law? Barack Hussein Obama. At least that's the ruling...
Federal Election Law complaint filed against Benaquisto for Congress
A complaint with Federal Election Commission accuses Republican Lizbeth Benacquisto of violating federal election laws with a TV campaign ad.
Ndile, Muthama challenge election law
http://www.ntv.co.ke Former Kibwezi MP Kalembe Ndile and PNU chief whip Johnstone Muthama have moved to court today challenging the Elections Act 2012, which...
australia compulsory election law
everybody must go to the polls or face fines if you do not vote. the electoral commission will require a response from you as to why you did not vote. if the...
County Clerk Tries to Sidestep Alleged Violation of Election Law
Note: Josephine County Clerk Art Harvey has been accused of violating Oregon Election Law again, this time in relation to the upcoming November election. C...
Bruce Cain: "Corruption Confusion: A Black Hole in the Election Law Universe"
On October 15, Bruce Cain (Straus Fellow, NYU School of Law; Professor of Political Science, and Director Designate of the Bill Lane Center for the American ...
Mon, 28 Jul 2014 03:07:30 -0700
Leftist opposition Democratic Coalition (DK) on Sunday said it will turn to the Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE) and the European Union with regard to Hungary's new municipal election law. DK said it is urging international ...
Baltimore Sun (blog)
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 16:26:15 -0700
"Larry Hogan very clearly violated state election law, and we hope the board acts quickly to address these facts," Maryland Democratic Party Chair Yvette Lewis said in a prepared statement. "Larry Hogan has a long history of abusing his power for ...
UB News Center
Mon, 21 Jul 2014 05:56:15 -0700
Other election law scholars on the list are at the law schools of New York University, Stanford, Columbia, Yale, the University of Southern California and the University of California-Irvine. Blogger Rick Hasen, a law professor at UC-Irvine, conducted ...
Thu, 24 Jul 2014 15:07:30 -0700
Democrats File Election Law Complaint Against Hogan. Article Text Size: S; M; L. Print. Thursday, July 24, 2014. Robert Lang and Associated Press. Larry Hogan (AP file photo). The Maryland Democratic Party has filed a complaint against Republican Larry ...
Los Angeles Times
Thu, 10 Jul 2014 16:30:52 -0700
Controller candidate and Assemblyman John A. Pérez says California rules should be changed so that recounts are automatically triggered in close races and candidates don't have to pay for them. Controller candidate and Assemblyman John A. Pérez says ...
The Plain Dealer
Tue, 22 Jul 2014 10:02:11 -0700
What changes would you make to Ohio election law? Share your thoughts in the comments section below. kearneyheadshot.jpg Ohio Sen. Eric Kearney, a Cincinnati-area Democrat, has published an article in the Cleveland State Law Review suggesting ...
The Times, Trenton
Fri, 25 Jul 2014 18:07:30 -0700
... adding to their $6,000 contribution from May 1, 2014, totaling $9,000 — well over the state's $2,600 contribution limit for corporations or individuals to donate to a candidate, according to reports filed with the state Election Law Enforcement ...
Triad City Beat
Mon, 07 Jul 2014 11:11:15 -0700
WINSTON-SALEM—Opponents of North Carolina's new election overhaul legislation are trying to convince federal judge Thomas Schroeder to hold off implementing the changes until after November's general election. They say the new rules will restrict too ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Election law with people all over the world in our discussions.