digplanet beta 1: Athena
Share digplanet:


Applied sciences






















The Ecuadorian Constitution requires that all children attend school until they achieve a “basic level of education,” which is estimated at nine school years.[1] Research has been published placing the quality of education in Ecuador as the worst in Latin America.[2]

Primary and secondary[edit]

In 1996, the net primary enrollment rate was 96.9 percent, and 71.8 percent of children stayed in school until the fifth grade.[1] Primary school attendance rates were unavailable for Ecuador as of 2001.[1]

While enrollment rates indicate a level of commitment to education, they do not always reflect children’s participation in school.[1] The cost of primary and secondary education is borne by the government, but families often face significant additional expenses such as fees and transportation costs.[1] In 2000, government spending on education declined, both in real terms and as a proportion of GDP.[1] By 2012, GDP spending had gone from 2.6% to 5.2%.


During the 1998-1999 school year, almost 235,000 students were enrolled in institutions of higher education, or approximately 14% of the population between 18-24 years old.[3] Approximately 80% attend public universities while the other 20% attend private universities.[3] The Central University of Ecuador and the Universidad San Francisco de Quito account for almost 50% of enrollments.[3] The graduation rate at public universities is rarely more than 15%.[3]

The 2008 Constitution of Ecuador eliminated tuition in public universities.[4][5] Starting in 2012, admission to the country’s 29 public universities will be based on an aptitude test.[5]

See also[edit]


  1. ^ a b c d e f "Ecuador". The Department of Labor's 2001 Findings on the Worst Forms of Child Labor. Bureau of International Labor Affairs, U.S. Department of Labor. 2002. 
  2. ^ Rojas, Carlos (2003). "Education". In Frete-Cibils, Vicente; Giugale, Marcelo M.; López-Cálix, José Roberto. Ecuador: An Economic and Social Agenda in the New Millennium. World Bank Publications. pp. 275–276. ISBN 0-8213-5545-7. 
  3. ^ a b c d Rojas 2003, p. 274.
  4. ^ Ponce, Juan; Loayza, Yessenia (2012). "Elimination of User-fees in Tertiary Education: A Distributive Analysis for Ecuador". International Journal of Higher Education 1 (1). doi:10.5430/ijhe.v1n1p138. 
  5. ^ a b Neuman, William (19 March 2012). "'Garage Universities' Are Bracing for School Reform". The New York Times. p. A7. 

Original courtesy of Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Ecuador — Please support Wikipedia.
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.
488764 videos foundNext > 

Ecuador Street Children Care and Education

Teach in Ecuador as a volunteer with Real Gap Experience and work in the poorest areas of Quito. The children and their families need support as many are liv...

Ecuador's government leaves educational legacy

A number of millennial educational institutions throughout the country are leaving a major impact on students and communities where education was once consid...


http://my.brainshark.com/HIGHER-EDUCATION-IN-ECUADOR-547801250 -

Educación bilingue en Ecuador / Bilingual education in Ecuador

En Ecuador, el Español o Castellano es el idioma de comunicación nacional, que coexiste con 14 lenguas indígenas. El derecho a aprender en la propia lengua e...

NMSU helps to improve education in Ecuador

New Mexico State University faculty are sharing their expertise globally to reform education in Ecuador, a small country in northwest South America.

Columbus State students experience education in Ecuador

Columbus State University student Shari Taylor created this brief video recap of a visit to Caminitos de Luz, a school in Ecuador that she and classmates sto...

Education in Ecuador: Enter Starfish

In this informational video, learn about poverty in Ecuador and it's harmful effects on the education of Ecuador's youth. We at The Starfish Foundation are c...

Higher education in Ecuador

What is happeing with Higher education in Ecuador?

Indigenous Education in Ecuador and Beyond

Indigenous Education in Ecuador and Beyond Skye Stephenson, Luis Fernando Sarango, Al Rydant. Madison Street Lounge. The indigenous people of Ecuador have be...

Higher Education in Ecuador

Higher Education in Ecuador.

488764 videos foundNext > 

We're sorry, but there's no news about "Education in Ecuador" right now.


Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter

Talk About Education in Ecuador

You can talk about Education in Ecuador with people all over the world in our discussions.

Support Wikipedia

A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia. Please add your support for Wikipedia!