|Diana Turbay Quintero|
March 9, 1950|
|Died||January 25, 1991
Diana Turbay Quintero (March 9, 1950 in Bogotá, – January 25, 1991 in Medellín) was a Colombian journalist kidnapped by the Medellín Cartel and killed during a rescue attempt. Her story was portrayed in News of a Kidnapping, a non-fiction book by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
Early years 
Diana Turbay grew up in an environment of political power. Her father Julio César Turbay, the son of a Lebanese immigrant from Ttanourin, Lebanon, was the 33rd president of the Colombian Republic (1978–1982).
Journalistic work 
Kidnapping and death 
Turbay was kidnapped when she was tricked into going to a supposed interview with a guerrilla leader, the Spanish priest Father Manuel Pérez Martínez, alias El Cura Pérez (The Priest Pérez). Turbay had been contacted by phone by an unidentified man. Later, a police investigation determined that the man belonged to Los Priscos, a criminal band, and was hired by Pablo Escobar. The latter's aim was to kidnap as many politicians and journalists as possible, to prevent Colombian legislators from approving an extradition treaty with the United States. Additional victims of this strategy were Francisco Santos Calderón, Maruja Pachón and Marina Montoya.
Turbay was kept on a farm near Copacabana, Antioquia, with her cameraman, Richard Becerra. Her death occurred during a rescue operation launched by the Police without authorization from the family. The cause of death was an assault rifle bullet in her back, which partially destroyed her liver and left kidney.
At her death, Turbay left two children, María Carolina Hoyos Turbay (born 1972) and Miguel Uribe Turbay (born 1986) and her husband, Miguel Uribe.
Popular Culture 
- las voces deedellínl secuestro (January 25, 2006). "HOY SE CUMPLEN 15 AÑOS DEL ASESINATO DE LA PERIODISTA DIANA TURBAY" (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 1 1 2007.
- ROBERT STONE (1997-06-15). "The Autumn of the Drug Lord". The New York Times. Retrieved 2008-10-02.
- Julio César Turbay Ayala, ex presidente de Colombia - obituarios - elmundo.es
Other reading 
- (Spanish) lasvocesdelsecuestro.com
- Marquez, Gabriel Garcia; Edith Grossman (trans.) (1997). News of a Kidnapping. New York: Albert A. Knopf. p. 291.