The Colorado Department of Corrections is the principal department of the Colorado state government that operates the state prisons. It has its headquarters in the Springs Office Park in unincorporated El Paso County, Colorado, near Colorado Springs.
- Arkansas Valley Correctional Facility (Crowley, Colorado)
- Arrowhead Correctional Center (494 inmate capacity) (Canon City, Colorado)
- Bent County Correctional Facility (Private Prison) (Las Animas, Colorado)
- Buena Vista Correctional Facility (Buena Vista, Colorado)
- Centennial Correctional Facility (Canon City, Colorado)
- Colorado Correctional Center (Camp George West) (150 inmate capacity) (Golden, Colorado)
- Colorado State Penitentiary (Canon City, Colorado)
- Colorado Territorial Correctional Facility (Canon City, Colorado)
- Crowley County Correctional Facility (Private Prison) (Olney Springs, Colorado)
- Delta Correctional Center (480 inmate capacity) (Delta, Colorado)
- Denver Reception & Diagnostic Center (542 inmate capacity) (Denver, Colorado)
- Denver Women's Correctional Facility (900 inmate capacity) (Denver, Colorado)
- Fort Lyon Correctional Facility (Bent County, Colorado)
- Four Mile Correctional Center (499 inmate capacity) (Canon City, Colorado)
- Fremont Correctional Facility (Canon City, Colorado)
- Huerfano County Correctional Center (Private Prison; closed in 2010) (Walsenburg, Colorado)
- Kit Carson Correctional Center (Private Prison) (Burlington, Colorado)
- LaVista Correctional Facility (Pueblo, Colorado)
- Limon Correctional Facility (Limon, Colorado)
- Rifle Correctional Center (192 inmate capacity) (Rifle, Colorado)
- San Carlos Correctional Facility (Pueblo, Colorado)
- Skyline Correctional Center (249 inmate capacity) (Canon City, Colorado)
- Sterling Correctional Facility (Sterling, Colorado)
- Trinidad Correctional Facility (500 inmate capacity) (Model, Colorado)
- Youthful Offender System (Pueblo, Colorado)
All prisoners entering the Colorado DOC system first go to the Denver Reception & Diagnostic Center (DRDC) before going to their final assignments.
Currently the state of Colorado has no designated death row. All prisoners with death sentences are given classifications of "securist custody level, administrative segregation." As of 2012 all prisoners with death sentences are located at the Sterling Correctional Facility. The execution chamber is located at the Colorado State Penitentiary. By state statute, executions take place there.
From the 1890s to the 1990s, the Colorado death row was located at the Colorado Territorial Correctional Facility. In the 1990s the Colorado State Penitentiary opened. Previously state statute dictated that prisoners with death sentences were to be held at the administrative segregation facility at the Colorado State Penitentiary. In 2011 the State of Colorado moved its death row prisoners in order to settle a federal lawsuit filed by Nathan Dunlap, a death row prisoner. Dunlap had complained about the state's lack of outdoor exercise facilities at Colorado State Penitentiary.
Fallen officers and officials
Since the establishment of the Colorado Department of Corrections, 14 officers have died in the line of duty.
None have been honored on the Colorado Law Enforcement Memorial in Golden, however all are enshrined on the National memorial in Washington, DC.
Tom Clements, the director of the Colorado Department of Corrections, was shot and killed March 19, 2013 as he answered the door at his home in Monument, Colorado.
- ^ C.R.S. § 24-1-110
- ^ "FAQ." Colorado Department of Corrections. Retrieved on June 3, 2010. "Colorado Department of Corrections 2862 South Circle Dr. Colorado Springs, CO 80906"
- ^ "Council District Map." City of Colorado Springs. Retrieved on December 7, 2009.
- ^ "Foreclosure filings jump in March Increase blamed on backlog at S&Ls." The Colorado Springs Gazette. April 6, 1989. Retrieved on September 28, 2011. "[...]million made in 1986 on the Springs Office Park, 2860-2862 S. Circle Drive."
- ^ "Denver Reception & Diagnostic Center." Colorado Department of Corrections. Retrieved on August 15, 2010.
- ^ "Death Row FAQ." (Archive) Colorado Department of Corrections. Retrieved on April 19, 2012.
- ^ a b Mitchell, Kirk. "Colorado moves death-row inmates so they can exercise outdoors." Denver Post. July 28, 2011. Retrieved on April 19, 2012.
- ^ "Death Row FAQ." (Archive) Colorado Department of Corrections. Retrieved on August 15, 2010.
- ^ The Officer Down Memorial Page
- ^ "Tom Clements, executive director of the Colorado Department of Corrections, killed in his home in Monument Read more: Tom Clements, executive director of the Colorado Department of Corrections, killed in his home in Monument". Denver Post. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
Colorado Department of Corrections
Executive Director Rick Raemisch explains how the CDOC helps keep Colorado citizens safe while making sure offenders have an opportunity to learn important skills before re-entering society.
Mentally ill Prisoner Died Hooded, Strapped to Chair While Guards Chatted Nearby, Suit Claims
The family of a mentally ill Colorado prison inmate who died while in custody has filed a lawsuit alleging guards stood around joking while failing to attend to his medical needs following...
Colorado Department of Corrections Director shot
More information at http://www.coloradoconnection.com/news/story.aspx?id=874432#.UUnbVxwqavZ FOX21 News, dedicated to providing relevant news, information and weather to Southern Colorado ...
Christopher Lopez - Mentally ill inmate died while in prison
Mentally ill inmate, Christopher Lopez, died while shackled in Colorado Department of Corrections San Carlos Correctional Facility prison.
Testimony of Rick Raemisch, Executive Director, Colorado Department of Corrections
[WASHINGTON, DC] Rick Raemisch, Executive Director of the Colorado Department of Corrections, testified at a hearing on "Reassesssing Solitary Confinement" before the Senate Judiciary ...
Inside Super Max- Part 1
Kern Valley State Prison.
Inmate killed at Sterling Correctional Facility
The head of Colorado's prison system wants an in-depth review of the Sterling Correctional Facility following the killing of an inmate there this week.
Tom Clements Dead Colorado Department Of Corrections Chief Shot At Home, Gunman On The Run
Pls Subscribe for the latest News videos Daily! This undated image provided by the Colorado Department of Corrections shows its director Tom Clements. Sheriff's Lt. Jeff Kramer says Clements...
Colorado Department of Corrections Talks in Las Animas, CO
Colorado Department of Corrections hiring to fill new deputy executive director job
9/11 5 pm --- The Department of Corrections is hiring to fill a new, high-paid position in its executive office. CALL7 Investigator Theresa Marchetta has the story.
Fri, 13 Mar 2015 10:48:45 -0700
DENVER — A group of Colorado prisoners is suing the Department of Corrections, saying they were wrongly held for too long. The Denver Post (http://dpo.st/1EHnQH3 ) reports that the federal class-action lawsuit filed Friday on behalf of 154 inmates ...
The Colorado Independent
The Colorado Independent
Thu, 26 Mar 2015 06:39:54 -0700
The federal Bureau of Prisons and Colorado's Department of Corrections long have defended themselves in cases asserting their use of solitary confinement amounts to torture. ADX is the subject of a civil rights lawsuit in Colorado's U.S. District Court ...
Thu, 26 Mar 2015 20:45:00 -0700
"One of the jobs I've had here in Colorado Springs was I ran the Colorado Department of Corrections it has more than three times the employees as the city of Colorado Springs." His campaign has revolved around political development in the city, fixing ...
The Denver Channel
The Denver Channel
Wed, 18 Mar 2015 17:22:30 -0700
But three full days elapsed before anyone from the Colorado Department of Corrections' elite Fugitive Apprehension Unit tried to track him down. In those days after Naeschylus Vinzant removed his anklet, he allegedly committed new crimes in the City of ...
Wed, 11 Feb 2015 16:18:29 -0800
DENVER — Colorado state lawmakers are demanding answers about allegations concerning misreported numbers by Colorado Department of Corrections leaders. A DOC whistleblower's emails in late December and early January sparked the controversy ...
Thu, 26 Mar 2015 10:03:45 -0700
Woodward was sentenced in March of 2014 to five years in the Colorado Department of Corrections with a mandatory probation period of 10 years by Judge Singer. Judge Plotz told the court that he did not feel comfortable in hearing the case and said that ...
Mon, 23 Mar 2015 11:10:09 -0700
What is known is the sentences in the two cases will be served consecutively, meaning he will likely be ordered to the Colorado Department of Corrections for a minimum of six years. The higher end could approach 20 years, and thousands of dollars in ...
Kansas City Star
Yahoo News UK
Tue, 24 Feb 2015 23:50:15 -0800
Done. This is a Sept. 1, 2009, booking photograph owned by the Colorado Department . View gallery. This is a Sept. 1, 2009, booking photograph owned by the Colorado Department of Corrections and taken …
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.