|1979 Cessna 340A
||Light twin aircraft
1973 model Cessna 340 front view
The Cessna 340 is a twin piston engine pressurized business aircraft that was manufactured by Cessna.
The Cessna 335 is an unpressurized version, which appears the same externally as the 340. It sold in fewer numbers than the 340.
Design and development
The 340 was conceived of as a cabin-class development of the successful Cessna 310.
The 340 is a six-seat aircraft, with four passenger seats, an aisle and an airstair door. The tail and landing gear were based on the Cessna 310's units, while its wings were from the Cessna 414. The 340's primary selling feature was its spacious, pressurized cabin, the first in a light twin.
Work on the 340 began in 1969 and the first aircraft was delivered in 1971, behind schedule as one of the prototypes crashed during flight testing in 1970.
The early models have two turbocharged Continental TSIO-520-K engines with 285 hp (214 kW) each. Starting in 1976 the engines were upgraded to the more powerful Continental TSIO-520-NB engines of 310 hp (233 kW). This variant is known as the 340A and it also features smaller 75.5-inch (1,920 mm) diameter propellers to reduce noise and meet ICAO Annex 16 noise requirements.
The Cessna 335 was marketed as a low-priced, non-pressurized, version powered by 300 hp (225 kW) Continental TSIO-520-EB engines. The prototype 335 made its maiden flight on December 5, 1978, with the first production aircraft flying in 1979. It was not a market success, with only 64 built by the time production ended in 1980. The 340 was more successful and remained in production until 1984 with 1287 built.
- Pressurized six-seat twin powered by two Continental TSIO-520-K engines of 285 hp (214 kW) each. Certified 15 October 1971. 350 built.
- Pressurized six-seat twin powered by two Continental TSIO-520-NB engines of 310hp (233 kW) each. Certified 19 November 1975 948 built.
- Unpressurized six-seat twin powered by Continental TSIO-520-EB engines of 300hp (225 kW) each. Certified 2 October 1979 65 built.
- Riley Jet Prop 340
- Conversion of Cessna 340 aircraft by fitting two Lycoming LTP101 turboprop engines.
- Riley Rocket 340
- Conversion of Cessna 340 aircraft by fitting two 340 hp (254 kW) Lycoming TIO-540-R engines. Also designated R340L.
- Riley Super 340
- Conversion of 1972–1975 Cessna 340 aircraft by fitting two 310hp Continental TSIO-520-J/-N engines. Also known as R340 Super.
Data from Plane & Pilot, Airliners.net, The Incomplete Guide to Airfoil Usage
- Crew: one pilot
- Capacity: five passengers
- Length: 34 ft 4 in (10.46 m)
- Wingspan: 38 ft 1 in (11.62 m)
- Height: 12 ft 7 in (3.84 m)
- Wing area: 184 ft² (17.1 m²)
- Airfoil: NACA 23018 (root) NACA 23015 (tip)
- Empty weight: 3,921 lb (1,780 kg)
- Max. takeoff weight: 5,990 lb (2,719kg)
- Powerplant: 2 × Continental TSIO-520-NB 6-cylinder piston engines, 310hp (231 kW) each
- Aircraft of comparable role, configuration and era
- ^ a b c d e Plane and Pilot: 1978 Aircraft Directory, page 92. Werner & Werner Corp, Santa Monica CA, 1977. ISBN 0-918312-00-0
- ^ a b c Montgomery, MR & Gerald Foster: A Field Guide to Airplanes, Second Edition, page 106. Houghton Mifflin Company, 1992. ISBN 0-395-62888-1
- ^ a b c d e f g h Demand Media, Inc (2008). "The Cessna 340 & 335". Retrieved 2008-08-09.
- ^ a b c d Federal Aviation Administration (August 1994). "TYPE CERTIFICATE DATA SHEET NO. 3A25". Retrieved 2008-08-10.
- ^ Taylor 1980, pp. 318–319.
- ^ a b Simpson 1991, p.108
- ^ Simpson 1991, p. 107
- ^ Taylor 1982, p. 454.
- ^ Taylor 1988, pp. 461–462.
- R.W.Simpson, Airlife's General Aviation, Airlife Publishing, England, 1991, ISBN 978-1-85310-194-6
- Taylor, John W. R. Jane's All The World's Aircraft 1980–81. London: Jane's Publishing Company, 1980. ISBN 0-7106-0705-9.
- Taylor, John W. R. Jane's All The World's Aircraft 1982–83. London: Jane's Yearbooks, 1982. ISBN 0-7106-0748-2.
- Taylor, John W. R. Jane's All The World's Aircraft 1988–89. Coulsdon, UK: Jane's Defence Data, 1988. ISBN 0-7106-0867-5.
||Wikimedia Commons has media related to Cessna 340.
Cessna 340 - Startup, Departure, and Climb
Just a quick flight in the 340 back home. I had just landed about 20 minutes earlier, so the engines were warm and the right one needed a little convincing to ...
Cessna 340 ILS Approach KADS
Low IFR Approach into Runway 15 at KADS on January 9, 2014.
Cessna 340 Takeoff
Cessna 340 is seen taking off from Nelson, British Columbia CZNL.
Cessna 340 IFR Flight - MMQT-MMVA
I was stuck on a trip to Southern Mexico on X-Mas Eve. This is a video of the flight back home from Villahermosa to Queretaro, Mexico.
Cessna 340 Off Airport Landing
Me and a friend take the ole cessna 340 out for a spin before setting down on a private grass strip.
Cessna 340A II - Full Flight, Outside, Start Up, Cabin, Cockpit, ATC, Landing, Take Off
Kingairflyer6 channel is very proud to present the realflying video production: Realflying Video Company - Cockpit Cessna 340 Features a big video production ...
Cessna 340 for sale
www.oleasair.com Best Cessna 340 in the market Created with MAGIX Video deluxe MX.
Twin Cessna 340 VFR flight over Atlanta January 2015.
This was a beautiful day over Atlanta, Ga. In this video I load the arrival into the GNS 430, overfly Stone Mountain and shoot the VFR approach over Atlanta to ...
Cessna 340 Autopilot and Loading Arrival into G-530
Basic Autopilot operation and operating the G-530. Enjoy!
N242G Cessna 340
N242G Cessna 340.
Tue, 10 Nov 2015 07:20:21 -0800
The checklist on a Cessna 340 calls for both fuel boost pumps to be switched on at short final. When I did this, the left engine quit. There is a principle that says when you do something in an aircraft and you don't like the result, undo it. Following ...
Wed, 25 Nov 2015 06:37:30 -0800
Hochberg and his wife continue to apply their friendly, innovative spirit to help improve the company every day. The proud father of Yael and Talia is also a commercial pilot and certified flight instructor. He enjoys flying with his family in their ...
La Nación Costa Rica
La Nación Costa Rica
Thu, 26 Nov 2015 12:37:12 -0800
Según la información preliminar, la aeronave tipo Cessna 340 presentó problemas en los frenos, por lo que el piloto perdió el control y se desvió a la carretera, rompiendo la barrera -unas estacas de madera con alambre de púas- que separa la pista de ...
Tue, 17 Nov 2015 05:52:30 -0800
A Cessna 340 undergoes repairs in a hanger at the headquarters of Weather Modification Incorporated, in Fargo, North Dakota. (Photo: Justin Nobel). Despite Boe's aversion to the idea of weather modification, the term favored by the industry is weather ...
Mon, 09 Nov 2015 13:22:30 -0800
Over the years I've flown a Cessna P-210, a Cessna 340 and the Cheyenne on Western trips from home in Tampa, Florida, but not many. In the CJ3, I've flown out there maybe 15 times in 18 months. But a turboprop at 22,000 feet doing 235 knots is a ...
Plainview Daily Herald
Fri, 13 Nov 2015 06:37:30 -0800
Cody Williams gave dual instruction to Josh Chapa in his Cessna 172 Skyhawk. A customer returned from Henderson, Nevada, and Winslow, Arizona, in his Beech A-36TC Bonanza. Centurion Aviation Ltd. flew in from Salina, Kansas, in their Cessna 340 for ...
Thu, 06 Aug 2015 15:59:32 -0700
He spends his summer days up in the clouds, flying his Cessna 340 high over the Alberta prairies. “I wanted to be a pilot for as long as I can remember,” says 25-year-old Andrew Brice as he stands near his plane at the Olds-Didsbury airport. “We see ...
Martha's Vineyard Times
Martha's Vineyard Times
Sat, 30 May 2015 13:33:53 -0700
The pilot of a twin-engine Cessna 340, his wife and their dog walked away from a very rough landing at Martha's Vineyard Airport about 12:30 pm, Saturday afternoon. The plane's right main gear collapsed soon after landing, airport manager Sean Flynn ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.