||This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2012)|
|Thampanoor Bus Station
|Rebuilt||2012, September (Planned)|
|Owned by||Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC)|
Central Bus Station (CBS), also called Thampanoor Bus Station, is a bus station in Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala, India. It is located opposite the Trivandrum Central Railway station at Thampanoor. Apart from the railway station, it is easily accessible from other major arteries of the city such as Karamana Road, Arya Bhavan Road and Over-bridge Road. It has an area of 7.41 acres serving the buses traveling on all routes in Kerala and other inter-state destinations such as Nagercoil, Kanyakumari,Chennai, Bangalore etc.It is also the headquarters of the Kerala State Road Transport Corporation (KSRTC).
The CBS caters to about 1240 bus arrivals and 1250 departures daily out of which 45% trips account for long distance buses and 55% for the Moffusil buses (short distance within Thiruvananthapuram district)
CBS terminal is proposed to be upgraded in infrastructural facilities, additional platforms, bus bays and bus passenger facilities. It is also proposed to shift the long distance buses (within districts of Kerala and inter state buses) to Enchakkal. The Enchakkal Bus Terminal is a green field project proposed to be equipped with bus infrastructure and passenger facilities.
Thampanoor CBS serves as the main boarding & alighting point in the city for all the passengers travelling outside city and state. It is being managed by KSRTC, with a majority of buses catering to long distances services and mofussil (short distance) buses. Few city buses halt at CBS. A few other State Transport Undertakings like Karnataka State Road Transport Corporation and Tamil Nadu State Transport Corporation also use the terminal facilities for their interstate bus operations from Thiruvananthapuram.
KSRTC operates a depot within the Thampanoor Bus Terminal, which is being used as a night halt stop, repairs/maintenance workshop and for idle parking of buses. Availability of the depot within the terminal premises obviates dead kilometerage for buses.
Present status 
The salient features of a recent study for assessing the existing demand at CBS is as follows:.
- About 1250 bus departures and 1240 bus arrivals take place daily at the Thampanoor CBS.
- Within peak hours (1000 – 1100 hrs), about 100 bus departures and 90 bus arrivals take place.
- Among the total arrivals and departures during peak hour, 60% are short distance service and remaining 40% are long distance buses.
- Daily passenger footfall at CBS is about 94,000 passengers with peak hour footfall close to 6000 passengers.
- Currently at CBS buses are parked in bus bay for about 15 minutes and about 5 minutes time is taken for alighting.
- As per the past trends, travel demand is growing at the rate of almost 4% per annum.
The work for the new CBS terminal at Thampanoor started by 2010 and is expected to be opened to public by 2012.
The 10-storied complex will have a floor area of 24,984 sq m is to come up on the southern side of the KSRTC premises facing Ponnara Sreedhar Park. The project is a joint venture of the Kerala Transport Development Finance Corporation (KTDFC) and the KSRTC, being implemented on Build-Operate-Transfer (BOT) concept.
Once completed, the terminal complexes will go against the conventional concept of bus terminal among the public. Apart from being an alighting and boarding point for the KSRTC buses, it will be a shopping destination. Convention centres to organise meetings, conferences and to even hold marriages have been included. As many as 145 cars and 250 two-wheelers can be parked in the basement alone.
The bus bay, passenger platform, terminal facilities, that include office, enquiry, ticketing among other things, a central lobby and commercial area will be located at the ground floor with a capacity to park 29 buses at a time.
All the floors from fourth onwards will have areas demarked for setting up offices, central lobby and toilets.
Flyover to railway station
A flyover has also been proposed from the complex to the railway station for the hassle-free movement of the commuters arriving in the buses and trains.
- "District of thiruvananthapuram". ROADWAYS. National Informatics Centre. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
- "Bus terminus to change face of Thampanoor". The Hindu. Monday, May 11, 2009. Retrieved 24 January 2011.
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.