Lee at Vidcon in June 2014
|Born||Caspar Richard George Lee
24 April 1994
|Occupation||Comedian, actor & YouTuber|
Lee started his self-titled YouTube channel in 2011. As of April 2016[update], Lee's main YouTube channel has over 6 million subscribers and over 500 million video views, and is the 152nd most subscribed channel on the website; his second channel "morecaspar" has over 1 million subscribers and over 52 million video views.
Lee was part of the 'YouTube Boyband' that raised money in 2014 for Comic Relief and was featured in The Guardian. He was named by Yahoo! News as one of "12 Web-savvy entrepreneurs to watch" in December 2013. In 2014 he starred, along with a number of other YouTubers, in the Style Haul series The Crew, described by teen website Sugarscape.com as "the male version of Loose Women, but a bit less pervy". He featured in a 2014 episode of the American television series Web Therapy.
Lee is influential through social media, with over 2.3 million followers on Twitter and over 2.1 million on Instagram, as of February 2015[update]. Lee has collaborated with other YouTube personalities, including: Jack and Finn Harries, Grace Helbig, Tyler Oakley, Connor Franta, Troye Sivan, Zoe Sugg, Marcus Butler, Shane Dawson, KSI, Joe Sugg, Dan Howell, Phil Lester, Eva Gutowski, Oli White, Lilly Singh and others.
Lee is under management by Gleam Futures.
The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
Joe and Caspar Hit the Road
Caspar and Joe Sugg featured in an eponymous travel documentary, Joe and Caspar Hit the Road, which was produced by Raucous Productions for BBC Worldwide. Together they traveled 1000 miles. It was released direct-to-video in 2015.
Caspar Lee, a biography written by Lee and his mother, Emily Riordan Lee, was published in hardcover in May 2016.
Lee was born in London but raised in Knysna and Durban, South Africa where he attended Crawford College, La Lucia. From the age of six, Lee was diagnosed with Tourette syndrome. From 2014 until 2016, Lee shared an apartment in London with fellow YouTuber Joe Sugg.
Family and lineage
Lee is the son of Jonathan Lee and Emily Riordan Lee, née Murphy, television producers who emigrated to South Africa in 1996. They were later divorced. Lee's older sister, Theodora Lee, often appears in his videos and also runs a (self-titled) YouTube channel.
Lee’s mother is the daughter of the Anglo-Irish poet Richard Murphy and South African-born writer Patsy Strang, née Avis, who was earlier married to the Hon. Colin Strang, a university professor, during which time she was associated with Philip Larkin. Murphy and Patsy Strang were married in 1955 and divorced in 1959.
Through Richard Murphy, Lee is connected with English gentry and aristocratic families. Murphy’s father was Sir William Lindsay Murphy, the last non-native Mayor of Colombo, who was later Governor of the Bahamas. The first cousins of Lee’s mother include the painter Anthony Murphy, who in his youth led the television serial Tom Brown's Schooldays (1971 TV miniseries) and later was the first husband of Lady Sophia Cavendish, daughter of the 11th Duke of Devonshire; Robert Murphy, son-in-law of the 20th Baron Teynham; and the film-maker Fiona Murphy, wife of the academic Anatole Kaletsky. Mary Murphy, the aunt of Lee’s mother, was the wife of Brigadier Toby Caulfield, and they were the parents of Grania, married to Hugh Cavendish, Baron Cavendish of Furness. Sir William Murphy’s maternal grandmother, Isabella Fowler, may have been the product of an illicit union between a scioness of the Earls of Balcarres and John Hely-Hutchinson, 3rd Earl of Donoughmore. Sir William's aunt was the educationalist Isabella Mulvany.
Through his maternal grandmother, Patsy Strang, Lee is the great-grandson of Meiert Cornelius Avis, a Dutch-born South African businessman. Strang’s nephew, who lived with her and Lee’s mother after the deaths of his parents, is the Los Angeles-based director Meiert Avis.
Awards and nominations
- Cooke, Laura (11 March 2013). "Video made the internet star". Vodacom. Archived from the original on 18 October 2014. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
Born in March1994
- "Conosci i protagonisti di ITATube: Caspar Lee" [Meet the stars of ITATube: Caspar Lee]. TeamWorld (in Italian). 4 March 2014. Archived from the original on 18 October 2014. Retrieved 18 October 2014.
Caspar Richard Lee ... nato a Londra il 24 Apri..le 1994
- De Grunwald, Tanya (15 June 2014). "Meet the YouTube big hitters: The bright young vloggers who have more fans than". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2014-07-09.
- "Caspar YouTube Channel Stats". vidstatsx.com. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- "morecaspar YouTube Channel Stats, Subscriber Statistics, Ranking". vidstatsx.com. Retrieved 2015-04-06.
- Dobbins, Amanda (21 April 2014). "Meet the YouTube Boy Band". Vulture. Retrieved 2014-05-09.
- Dredge, Stuart (21 March 2014). "YouTube Boy Band's cover version of It's All About You becomes viral hit". The Guardian. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Marcus Butler, Alfie Deyes, Joe Sugg, Jim Chapman and Caspar Lee are The YouTube Boyband for Sport Relief". sugarscape.com. 2014-03-10. Retrieved 2014-04-21.
- "Alfie Deyes | 12 Web-savvy entrepreneurs to watch". Yahoo! News. 24 December 2013. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Boyd, Sarah (21 August 2014). "Stylish Sips With StyleHaul Founder Stephanie Horbaczewski". Forbes. Retrieved 2014-09-01.
- Jarvey, Natalie (2014-06-25). "Lisa Kudrow Digital Series 'Web Therapy' Moves to StyleHaul". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2014-09-01.
- Fole, Linds (12 January 2014). "YouTubers Alfie Deyes, Caspar Lee, Jim Chapman and Marcus Butler talk relationships on new blokey chat show The Crew". Sugarscape.com. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Marr, Wendy (16 August 2014). "Zoella, Tanya Burr and the UK's YouTube superstars". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 2014-09-01.
- Evenden, Lucy (2014-06-16). "Caspar Lee and Troye Sivan to star in feature film". Ten Eighty. Retrieved 2014-09-01.
- "Caspar Lee and Joe Sugg land mega roles in The Spongebob Movie: Sponge Out Of Water | Metro News". Metro.co.uk. 2015-02-20. Retrieved 2015-09-09.
- "Joe and Caspar Hit the Road". IMDb. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- ""Joe and Caspar" Joe and Caspar Hit the Road (DVD)". bbcshop.com. BBC Shop. Retrieved 5 January 2016.
- Caspar Lee; Emily Riordan Lee (31 May 2016). Caspar Lee. Penguin Books Limited. ISBN 978-1-4059-2714-7.
- Lee, Caspar (18 May 2013). "MY SECRET". YouTube. Retrieved 3 April 2016.
- Murphy 2003, p. 346.
- Murphy 2003, p. 157.
- Murphy 2003, pp. 159-184.
- Murphy 2003, p. 280.
- Salisbury Cathedral Marriages Register 1953-1991
- Murphy 2003, pp. 71,113.
- Murphy 2003, pp. 23-25.
- Murphy 2003, p. 2.
- Murphy 2003, p. 156.
- Murphy 2003, pp. 174-5.
- Laing, Greg (2015-02-20). "Ariana Grande, Spider-Man lead Nickelodeon Kids' Choice Awards nominees". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2015-02-23.
- Bacon, Lucy (2015-02-20). "One Direction, Zoella & Ed Sheeran Nominated For Kids' Choice Awards!". MTV. Retrieved 2015-02-23.