|This article may be expanded with text translated from the corresponding article in the French Wikipedia. (December 2008)|
|Intercommunality||Isigny Grandcamp Intercom|
|Elevation||13–38 m (43–125 ft)
(avg. 25 m or 82 ft)
|Land area1||3.29 km2 (1.27 sq mi)|
|- Density||32 /km2 (83 /sq mi)|
|INSEE/Postal code||14136/ 14230|
|1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.|
|2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.|
World War II
After the liberation of the area by Allied Forces in early June 1944, engineers of the Ninth Air Force IX Engineering Command began construction of a combat Advanced Landing Ground outside of the town. Declared operational on 14 June, the airfield was designated as "A-3", it was used by the 368th Fighter Group which flew P-47 Thunderbolts until the end of August when the unit moved into Central France. Along with the 368th, the 370th Fighter Group flew P-38 Lightnings from the airfield until mid-August. With the combat units moved out, the airfield was closed.
- Johnson, David C. (1988), U.S. Army Air Forces Continental Airfields (ETO), D-Day to V-E Day; Research Division, USAF Historical Research Center, Maxwell AFB, Alabama.
- Maurer, Maurer. Air Force Combat Units of World War II. Maxwell AFB, Alabama: Office of Air Force History, 1983. ISBN 0-89201-092-4.
|This Calvados geographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|