Bayan ng Cainta
Municipality of Cainta
|— Municipality —|
|Our Lady of Light Parish|
|Nickname(s): Your Gateway to the East; Information Technology Capital of the Province of Rizal; Bibingka Capital of the Philippines|
|Region||CALABARZON (Region IV-A)|
|District||1st District of Rizal|
|Founded||November 30, 1571|
|• Mayor||Johnielle Keith Nieto (UNA)|
|• Vice Mayor||Sofia Velasco (UNA)|
|• Municipality||26.81 km2 (10.35 sq mi)|
|Elevation||37 m (121 ft)|
|• Density||12,000/km2 ( 30,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
The Municipality of Cainta (Filipino: Bayan ng Cainta) is a first-class urban municipality in the province of Rizal, Philippines. It is one of the oldest (originally founded on August 15, 1571), and is the town with the second smallest land area of 26.81 square kilometres (10.35 sq mi) next to Angono with 26.22 square kilometres (10.12 sq mi).
With a population of 311,845 inhabitants, Cainta now holds the record as the most populous municipality in the Philippines, per the 2010 Census of Population conducted by the National Statistics Office. Its income of Php766,924,602 makes it the richest municipality in the country.
Cainta is bounded on the north by Marikina City and Antipolo City but not bounded San Mateo, on the west by Pasig City, and on the east and south by Taytay. It lies in the Marikina Valley, is 10% rolling hills and 90% residential-industrial. It has the province's highest number of rivers and streams. Historians claim that Cainta's old geographical boundaries encompassed the mountain slopes of Montalban.
The Bitukang Manok of Pasig City, also known as the "Parian Creek", had once linked the Marikina River with the "Antipolo River". Before the Manggahan Floodway was built in 1986, The PARIAN CREEK was actually connected to the SAPANG BATO-BULI CREEK (which serves as the boundary between Pasig's barangays Dela Paz-Manggahan-Rosario-Sta. Lucia and the Municipality of Cainta), the KASIBULAN CREEK (situated at Vista Verde, Brgy. San Isidro, Cainta), the PALANAS CREEK (leaving Antipolo through Brgy. Muntindilao), the BULAW CREEK (on Brgy. Mambungan, besides the Valley Golf and Country Club), and the "Hinulugang Taktak" Falls of Brgy. Dela Paz (fed by the TAKTAK CREEK passing close to the Antipolo Town Square), thus being the detached and long-abandoned ANTIPOLO RIVER.
Since the early 1600's up to the period of Japanese Imperialism, over a thousand Catholic devotees coming from "Maynilad" (Manila), "Hacienda Pineda" (Pasay), "San Juan del Monte", "Hacienda de Mandaloyon" (Mandaluyong), "Hacienda Mariquina" (Marikina), "Barrio Pateros", "Pueblo de Tagig" (Taguig), and "San Pedro de Macati" (Makati), followed the trail of the Parian Creek to the Pilgrimage Cathedral on the mountainous pueblo of Antipolo, Morong (The present-day Rizal Province).
The Antipoleños and several locals from the far-reached barrios of "Poblacion de San Mateo", "Montalban" (Rodriguez), "Monte de Tanhai" (Tanay), "Santa Rosa-Oroquieta" (Teresa), and "Punta Ibayo" (Baras), had also navigated this freshwater creek once to go down to the vast "Kapatagan" (Rice plains) of lowland Pasig. Even the marian processions of the Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage passed this route back and forth eleven times.
The creek has been also used during the British Occupation of Manila in 1762 to 1764 by the Royal British army, under the leadership of General William Draper, to transport their red troops (and also the Sepoys they've brought from East India) upstream to take over the nearby forest-surrounded villages of Cainta and Taytay. They even did an ambush at the "Plaza Central" in front of the Pasig Cathedral, and turned the Roman Catholic Parish into their military headquarters, with the church's fortress-like "Campanilla" (belfry) serving as a watchtower against Spanish defenders sailing from the walled city of Intramuros via the Pasig River.
But ironically, the Sepoys backstabbed their abusive British lieutenants and sided with the combined forces of the Spanish Conquistadors (assigned by the Governor-General Simon de Anda y Salazar), local rice farmers, fisherfolk, and even Chinese traders. After the British Invasion, the Sepoys remained and intermarried with Filipina women, and that explains the Hindu features of some of today's citizens of Pasig, especially Cainta and Taytay.
The logo of Cainta – the emblem inside the double circle represents the flag of the Philippines in red, white and blue color. The three stars represent Luzon, Visayas and Mindanao. The eight sun rays represent the eight provinces that started the revolt against the Spaniards. The buildings represent the different business establishments operating in the municipality. The suman sa ibus, suman sa lihiya and suman antala represent the livelihood of its people; the same with bottled sweets made out of coconut milk called matamis na bao, nata de coco, caong, beans and many others. The piglets represent the backyard hog raising, a small scale industry.
Legend has it that there was an old woman called "Jacinta" who was well known not only in her own native town but also in the neighboring towns. In her youth, she was very popular because of her great beauty, kindness, and wealth. Although she was a member of a very rich clan, she showed generosity of heart to the poor. Hence, she became very much loved and respected. Jacinta grew to be an old maid because after her sweetheart got sick and died, she never fell in love with anyone else. When her parents died and she was left alone in the house, she continued her charity work. She gave alms to the long line of beggars who came to her, and housed and took care of the orphans and children in the streets.
In her old age, she was still very popular and was fondly called "Ka Inta" ("Ka" referring to a term of respect for the elderly, as well as a term for the feeling of comradery or "kapwa" feeling for someone).
One Christmas Day, however, when the old and the young called on her to give their greetings, she was not by the window to welcome them. People wondered at her absence and shouted her name to call her attention but no one came to answer. Concerned, they went up the house and discovered the dead body of "Ka Inta" lying on the floor. Beside her were the piles of Christmas gifts she was preparing to give to her well-wishers that day. People far and wide grieved over her death. In memory of her goodness and her generosity, her native town was named after her and was called "Cainta".
Cainta is politically subdivided into seven barangays. In the mid 1990s, Cainta submitted a petition to the Rizal provincial government to consider a proposal for additional barangays, to make a total of 25 barangays. The proposal is still pending.
|San Andres (Pob.)||93,453|
Founded on November 30, 1571, Cainta was a fiercely independent village that fought valiantly against the Spaniards but was later defeated and became a visita (annex) of Taytay in 1571 under the Jesuits. Changes in ecclesiastical administration made Cainta a part of Pasig under the Augustinians but it was deeded back to the Jesuits by the King of Spain in 1696. Cainta became a separate township in 1760.
After the death of Rajah Matanda, Adelantado Miguel de Legaspi received word that two ships, San Juan and Espiritu Santo, had just arrived in Panay Island in the central Philippines from Mexico. One ship was under the command of Don Diego de Legaspi, his nephew, and the other of Juan Chacon. The two ships were in such disrepair when they arrived in Panay that one of them was not allowed to return to Mexico. Legaspi ordered that it be docked on the river of Manila. The Maestro de Campo was sent to Panay to oversee its transfer to Manila, with Juan de la Torre as captain.
To help spread the faith, several Augustinian friars were commissioned by Spain and were among the ship's passengers. One of them was Father Alonso de Alvarado, who had been in the armada of Villalobos. Another was Father Agustin de Albuquerque, who became the first parish priest of Taal town, south of Manila. Some of the missionaries were sent to Cebu province in the central Philippines to accompany Father Martin de Rada the Prior. Four stayed to work in Pampanga province and the environs north and south of Manila, which included the then-village of Cainta..
Conversion to Catholicism
The chief religion is Roman Catholicism. When the Spaniards came they celebrated the feast of St. Andrew the Apostle and a mass was held in a chapel made of nipa palm branches and wood. Many people came to attend and consequently were baptized into the faith.
The Church of Cainta was completed in 1715. It was gutted during World War II. Only the outer walls and the facade remained which was repaired with a coat of Portland cement. In 1727, an image depicting Our Lady of Light was brought to Cainta from Sicily, Italy, and was among the structures destroyed by Japanese and the joint American and Filipino bombs. Except for the outer walls, now greatly renovated, hardly anything remains of the old church. Extensive damage was also caused by recurrent earthquakes and typhoons that plagued the Philippines. The natives helped in its restoration and the new building was completed on February 25, 1968 and blessed by Manila Cardinal Archbishop Rufino Jiao Santos.
The Battle of Cainta
Meanwhile Legaspi was determined to subjugate the people of Cainta and Taytay, a neighboring town. He sent his nephew Juan de Salcedo with a galleon (a small ship propelled by oars and sails) and 16 small boats accompanied by a hundred Spanish soldiers and many Visayas natives allied with them. Salcedo sailed on August 15, 1571, arriving in Cainta on the 20th. He sought peace from the villagers but the village chief, Gat-Maitan, responded arrogantly, told him the people of Cainta, unlike those of Manila, were not cowards, and would defend their village to the death. Confident in the defenses offered by their fort and the security of the site, they were joined by people from Taytay.
These two villages are on a plain on the shores of a river that flows from La Laguna and before arriving there divides in two large arms, both with abundant water. On its banks are found the two villages, half a league from each other, with the river passing through both before finally becoming one in a part of the terrain encircled by thick bamboo groves. These bamboos were tied together with liana, turning them into a thick wall where the people had constructed two ramparts with their moats full of water. By the river, they had built strong bulwarks with wooden towers and good artillery, guarded by a large number of warriors armed with arrows, swords and other projectile-type arms.
Deciding to attack, Salcedo first sent Second Lieutenant Antonio de Carvajal with some escorts to reconnoiter the town and determine the weakest point where they could enter. Carvajal, wounded by an arrow in his arm, returned with the information that the weakest spot, the least fortified and with the easiest access was the other part of an arroyo on the side of La Laguna where many boats could be seen entering the river.
Salcedo ordered installed in the prow of the galley a stone-throwing mortar. He and his men then spent the night on shore, while 20 soldiers and numerous allies from Manila remained with Carvajal on the galley with orders that when they heard firing, they should proceed with the attack on the bulwarks and the houses in the town, while Salcedo and his men tried to enter through the wall by the arroyo. When they heard the sound of the bugle, the signal that they had taken the town, they were to stop firing.
After giving these instructions, Salcedo began his march and turned toward the river where the attack was to take place. He arrived in the arroyo and found it defended by a fistful of valiant Cainta men who started to fire arrows and hurl lances.
Taken by surprise, the soldiers without waiting for Salcedo's order attacked the rampart and were overwhelmed by a rain of arrows. Finding such tenacious resistance, they began to retreat and flee in disarray.
Salcedo berated his men harshly for having attacked without his orders. Observing that in the other part of the arroyo the rampart was lower, he ordered a skiff brought there and after beaching it, he ordered some of his soldiers to use it as passage to the other side and take a more elevated point from where they could fire at the defenders of the town.
With the defenders retreating, Salcedo and his men were able to approach the wall and breach it. The intrepid Gat-Maitan with his Cainta men came to close the breach, forcing Saavedra to back off.
In the meantime, the cannons of the galley destroyed the bulwarks and the houses in the town in a manner the people had not seen before. And the shouts of the 600 Visayans allied with the Spanish made the natives believe that the Spaniards were already inside the poblacion [town proper]. Because of this, the valiant defenders of the breach abandoned it and retreated to the center of the town.
Salcedo observed this from a distance and ordered the breach attacked again. This time, the Spaniards encountered little resistance. Led by Salcedo and with Saavedra carrying the Spanish banner, they succeeded in entering the town. Together with their soldiers, they advanced rapidly and shortly scaled the wall where a bloody battle was fought.
The Cainta men, encouraged by their chief Gat-Maitan, preferred to die rather than surrender. Having taken over the walls, the Spaniards climbed the towers and hoisted the Spanish banner. At the blare of the bugle, the cannons stopped firing from the galley.
Cainta became an independent town in 1760. During the brief British occupation of Luzon (1762–1763), part of its British India troops known as Sepoys lived and intermarried with the natives in one of the town's barrios. The Indian left a culinary legacy in the spicy and highly-seasoned dishes that are now part of mainstream Cainta cuisine. Cainta became part of Tondo (starting 1763) but separated in 1883 and incorporated with the district of Morong.
March 16, 1899
Exequiel Ampil was assigned by Emilio Aguinaldo to liberate Cainta.
Maj. William P. Rogers, CO of the 3rd Battalion, 20th US Infantry Regiment, came upon the Filipinos in Cainta, about 1,000 strong, and forced them to retreat. He burned the town. Two Americans were killed and 14 wounded, while the Filipinos suffered about 100 killed and wounded.
Upon the approach of the Americans, Exequiel Ampil y Dela Cruz, the Presidente Municipal of Cainta and a former Agente Especial of the Katipunan who had become a pronounced Americanista, strongly advised the Filipino soldiers to surrender. Instead, they shot him. Although wounded, Ampil managed to escape.
On March 3, 1902, major American newspapers, including the New York Times reported: “…Felizardo, at the head of twenty-five men armed with rifles, entered the town of Cainta…and captured the Presidente of Cainta, Señor Ampil, and a majority of the police of the town. Señor Ampil has long been known as an enthusiastic American sympathizer, and it is feared that he may be killed by the enraged ladrones (thieves & land grabbers). A strong force of constabulary has been sent to try to effect his release.” [Timoteo Pasay was the actual leader of the guerilla band that kidnapped Ampil on Feb. 28, 1902].
On March 4, 1902, near the hills of Morong town, Ampil found an opportunity to escape. A detachment of constabulary was taken from the garrison at Pasig and stationed at Cainta for his protection, he survived the war. And upon retiring from his military and political career, Don Exequiel Ampil together with his wife Doña Priscila Monzon, applied and managed their vast estate from Tramo (Rosario, Pasig) to Cainta River (San Jose, Cainta) up to the Valley Golf Club (Mayamot, Antipolo) down to Ortigas Extension (San Isidro, Taytay). The lots were the old and the new Municipal Halls stands, were also part of his estate.
Their son Dr. Jesus Ampil also became a Mayor (grandfather of the Ampil Brothers); whose siblings where Lumen, Atty. Vicente (of Pasay City), Rosario & Jose.
In 1913, under the American rule, Cainta and Angono were consolidated with Taytay as one government entity. On January 1, 1914, it once again became an independent municipality and remained so to this day. Cainta is one of fourteen (14) municipalities of Rizal Province after the inclusion of other towns of what are now referred to as Antipolo, Angono, Binangonan and Taytay. In 1942, Japanese Occupation troops entered Cainta. In 1942 to 1944, local guerrilla groups of the Hunters ROTC was the four year main invasions in Cainta against the Japanese, when the guerrillas was they retreating by the Japanese before the liberation. In 1945, local Filipino troops of the 4th, 42nd, 45th, 46th, 47th and 53rd Infantry Division of the Philippine Army and 4th Infantry Regiment of the Philippine Constabulary was started the liberated and captured in Cainta and helping the guerrilla resistance fighters of the Hunters ROTC Guerrillas to fought against the Japanese and ended World War II.
Liberation of Cainta
During World War II under the Allied Liberation, the some of all stronghold of local Filipino soldiers of the Philippine Commonwealth Army 4th, 42nd, 45th, 46th, 47th and 53rd Infantry Division and the Philippine Constabulary 4th Infantry Regiment was sending the local military operations and liberated in all municipal town of Cainta and aided the local guerrilla groups of the Hunters ROTC Guerrillas against the Japanese Imperial armed forces and begins the Liberation of Cainta on 1945.
The General Headquarters, Camp Bases and Garrisons of the Imperial Japanese Armed Forces in Cainta and inside of all Japanese soldiers of the Imperial Japanese Army was invaded the battles and captured of all the local Filipino soldiers of the Philippine Commonwealth Army and Philippine Constabulary and the local guerrillas of the Hunters ROTC Guerrillas after the fighting. After the war, the local casualties was over 3,810 Filipino troops of the Philippine Commonwealth Army and Philippine Constabulary killed in action and 12,400 wounded in action, the local guerrillas of the Hunters ROTC was over 200 killed in action and 700 wounded in action and over 15,000 Japanese troops of the Imperial Japanese Armed Forces was killed in action, 36,000 wounded in action and over 3,400 captured in action.
Conversion to Cityhood
In late 2003, former Cainta mayor Nicanor Felix, with the rest of its Sannguniang Bayan members, unanimously approved a resolution for Cainta's cityhood bid. On that same year, on its annual fiesta, the Municipality had its theme "Cainta: Lungsod 2004", promoting its bid for cityhood.
However, in January, 2010, current Rizal Governor Jun Ynares III now pushes the cityhood of Cainta and Taytay, due to the overabundance of jobs, amenities, and its people.
In turn, incumbent Congressman Joel Duavit of the 1st District filed and passed a Bill effectively creating a district composed of Cainta and Taytay. The Bill is now up at the committee level in the Senate.
|Population Census of Cainta|
According to the 2007 census, it has a population of 289,833 (see above). Its population consists of 70% Roman Catholic Christians, 15% Non-Catholic Christians (including Iglesia ni Cristo, Ang Dating Daan, Aglipayan, Jesus is Lord, and others), 10% Muslims, 3% Chinese Buddhists, and 2% Sikhs. The people of Cainta are mostly Tagalog-speaking Filipinos.
A considerable number of the population are descended from Indian soldiers who mutinied against the British Army when the British briefly occupied the Philippines in 1762 to 1763. These Indian soldiers called Sepoy settled in town and intermarried with native women. The Sepoy ancestry of Cainta is still very visible to this day, particularly in Barrio Dayap near Brgy. Sto Nino. Their unique physical characteristics make them distinct from the average Filipinos who are primarily of Malay and Chinese origins.
|Mayors||Year Started||Year Ended|
|Exequiel Ampil - Liberator of Cainta under Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo||1898||1907|
|Jose Dela Cruz||1907||1911|
|Francisco P. Felix||1923||1941|
|Francisco P. Felix||1945||1980|
|Benjamin V. Felix||1980||1986|
|*Benjamin Felix was deposed after People Power Revolution; replaced by an OIC Mayor Dr. Renato Estanislao||1986||1987|
|Benjamin V. Felix||1987||1998|
|Nicanor C. Felix||1998||2004|
|Ramon A. Ilagan||2004||2013|
|Johnielle Keith Nieto||2013||present|
|Vice Mayors||Year Started||Year Ended|
|Benjamin V. Felix||1976||1980|
|Zoilo V. Tolentino Sr.||1987||1998|
Across the town
The main road of Cainta is Ortigas Avenue Extension, a heavily congested corridor that passes through the business district of Ortigas Center and leads to Mandaluyong City and San Juan in the west and the town of Taytay and Antipolo City in the east. Another major road is Francisco P. Felix Avenue (formerly known as Imelda Avenue) which runs across Ortigas Avenue Extension and connects the town to Marikina City to the north and Taytay to the south. The point of intersection between these two main arterials is known simply as Junction. A. Bonifacio Avenue, located in the town proper, is the town's most frequently-traversed street. Traffic enforcers make their best to weaken the traffic situation in the areas of Junction, Karangalan, Parola and Brookside but the presence of these provided only minimal solution.
At the current time, Cainta is under the management of the MMDA, which pertains to the traffic situations, particularly in the Junction area.
Long before the Manila Light Rail Transit System finally opened its services in Santolan in the Pasig-Marikina border in the early 2000s, Steam train services had once served those places in the past, even before World War II.
In Marikina, there is a street named "Daangbakal", also called by the names of "Shoe Avenue Extension", "Munding Avenue" and "Bagong Silang". There is also a similar "Daangbakal" in the San Mateo-Montalban (Rodriguez) area, and on the maps one can notice that the two roads should have been connected with each other. In fact, as the name suggests in Tagalog, these streets were once a single railway line. The two sides of the "Daangbakal" roads were once connected by a bridge in the San Mateo-Marikina border. However, as the railroad tracks have been largely ignored after the Japanese Occupation and was transformed into separate highways, the railway connection was abandoned.
The old railroad tracks, called the Marikina Line, was connected from Tutuban station in Manila, passing through Tramo (Brgy. Rosario, Pasig) coming all the way to the town of Marikina up to Montalban. On the northern end of the "Daangbakal" road in Montablan is a basketball court. That basketball court which stands today, surrounded by the Montalban Catholic Church and Cemetery, was once the railway station terminus of that particular line.
The present-day Santo Niño Elementary School in Marikina was said to be a train depot. And also it was said that a railroad station once stood in the Marikina City Sports Park.
The Marikina Line was completed in 1906, and continued its operation until 1936. It was said that the Japanese Imperial Army made use of this railway line during the Second World War. These railways were dismantled during the 1960's and were converted into ordinary roads.
Today, the citizens are dependent on Tricycles, Jeepneys, Taxis, FX, Buses, and AUV's which contribute to the everyday unusual and unbearable traffic of Metropolitan Manila. Even now, there is uncertainty in the Northrail project, which links Manila to the northern provinces of Luzon, because of corruption within the project's construction.
Aside from the Marikina Line, two other lines have existed before but are now removed permanently.
Second is the Antipolo Line, which passed through Santa Mesa, Mandaluyong, Pasig, Cainta, Taytay, up to Antipolo near the "Hinulugang Taktak" Falls. There is also a street named "Daangbakal" in Antipolo, where like the "Daangbakal" roads on Marikina and San Mateo, a railway line once existed. The railroad tracks also passed through what is now the Ortigas Avenue Extension. Its operation ceased in 1917.
Cainta continues to strive for growth and advancement. Recently a proposed road widening along its busiest corridor, A. Bonifacio Avenue, has come into reality. This major road is set to be widened from its existing 10 meters width to expand by 15 meters. The span of expansion is from the Junction area up to the Cainta Catholic Church. This would result to a two-lane accommodation for traffic flow and provide necessary loading and unloading station throughout the municipal road.
Vast infrastructure improvements is evident along the municipality. With the help of the national government and local and provincial authorities, Cainta's major thoroughfares are being upgraded to serve the growing number of motorist passing across the town, upgrade is evident along Ortigas Avenue Extension, F.P.Felix Avenue and the Bonifacio Avenue.
Basic services and utilities
In past decades Cainta had been suffering a lack of potable surface water supply, with only deepwell water source available. Today, almost the entire municipality of Cainta is supplied 24 hours a day with potable water from the Manila Water Company Inc.,MWSS concessionaire for East Zone, along with several towns in Rizal Province.
Cainta is primarily served by the Philippine Long Distance Telecommunications Co. (PLDT), Digital Communications (Digitel)and Bayan Communications Inc (through its Bayan wireless landline and broadband service). Mobile carriers Smart, Globe and Sun Cellular also cater Cainta's mobile communication needs. Cainta is also covered by GSM network while portion of it is covered by 3G, HSPDA+ and LTE technology (Smart Communications). Globe is in process of upgrading its 3g coverage.
Innove Communications Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Globe Telecom, has expanded its telecommunications and broadband services throughout the province including the Municipality of Cainta. It empowers the town with several options to get connected to the internet fast and reliable. This also includes the roll-out of WIMAX technology upgrading the link of the municipality to the Cyberspace. Internet access is a vast necessity across the town, and Wi-Fi is readily available through Malls and internet cafe's in Cainta. Lately, Cainta was included along with several town/city in the province to pioneer the latest 4th Generation Mobile Technology (4G) roll-out by Globe Telecom, preparing Cainta to the next generation wireless connectivity to the world.
Major Cable TV providers are available in Cainta; Sky Cable (thru Sky Cable CAMANAVA & Rizal)covers the entire municipality. Now several cable providers are bidding entry to Cainta. This includes Cablelink serving the Sto. Domingo and San Isidro area and Destiny Cable covers areas along the boundary with Pasig.
Today Cainta has a robust economy as evidenced by several commercial and industrial establishments that have sprouted. Cainta is the richest municipality in the country with respect to Income Revenue growth.(based on 2010 COA Report). The town continues to attract businesses because of its proximity to Manila and the town's burgeoning population which mostly consists of hard-working and hospitable people. The early part of the 21st century witnessed the founding of numerous manufacturing firms, including the Mitsubishi Motors Philippines, the largest car manufacturer in the country, the Monde M.Y. San Corporation, one of the nation's leading biscuit manufacturers and BF Construction Philippines.
Here are some of the prominent businesses in Cainta:
Malls, Condominiums and Supermarkets
- Q Plaza Commercial Center
- SM Hypermarket Cainta (formerly Makro Cainta)
- Robinson's Cainta
- Sta. Lucia East Grandmall
- Puregold Cainta, Q-Plaza
- SOGO - Hotel
- SM Tree Residences
- Sta.Lucia East Grand Tower
- Cambridge Village
- Rublou Market Place
- East Bel-Air Residences
- Puregold Cainta-Junction
- Ever Supermarket Greenland
- SM SaveMore Market
- Rublou Cainta
The most common livelihood in Cainta is the making of native delicacies, a tradition inherited from Antipolo, which is largely a cottage industry. Its native desserts are among the nation's best. Dating back to the 15th century, it became the town's principal source of income for more than four centuries. Suman (rice cake wrapped in banana leaf), latik (boiled down coconut milk used for glazing), coconut jam and the famous bibingka, are but a few of the sweet delights that lure many visitors to this town.
During the 20th century, Cainta dazzled the whole country when it baked the biggest rice cake ever and the town became known as the "Bibingka Capital of the Philippines". Bibingka is believed to have been adapted from the Indian cuisine, an influence from its Sepoy population. It comes from the Indian word bebinca also known as bibik, a dessert made of flour, coconut milk, and egg. The Philippine version is made of rice flour, coconut milk and salted duck eggs. Butter and sugar are used for glazing after cooking and before serving.
With the continuous expansion of Metro Manila, the city is now included in the Manila built up area which reaches Cardona in its Westernmost part.
- Cainta Junction- A major intersection, often referred to as traffic tambayan by the locals, adjoins the Metropolitan Highways (FELIX Avenue at the North, A. Bonifacio Avenue to the South, and Ortigas Avenue on its East and West Bounds). The busiest and a critical point where it connects Metro Manila and the rest of the Rizal province.
- The Cainta Municipal Hall- when the old municipal building (located at the current Town Plaza) was destroyed by a fire, then-Mayor Benjamin Felix called the attention of the Provincial Government to build a new one at a lot in Rosepack Subdivision. it was finished in 1995.
- Hunters ROTC Monument- located at Brgy. San Juan, this place is a memorial for the Hunters ROTC guerrillas, who bravely faced the Occupation Authorities during the World War II.
- Valley Golf and Country Club- one of the two well-known golf courses in the province of Rizal aside from Eastridge in Binangonan, Rizal.
- Liwasang Bayan (Town Plaza)- located at the Poblacion (town proper). It was the former place of the old Municipal Hall destroyed in 1995. Today, is host to some convocations and assemblies for Caintanos. In Holy Week, a Senakulo is shown for the public.
- Our Lady of Light Parish- standing firmly as one of the most beautiful and oldest churches in the province, it is erected upon the directives of Fr. Gaspar Marco, S.J. in 1707 and was finished by Fr. Joaquin Sanchez in 1715. Upon its elevation into a Parish in 1760, this church is renovated many times because of heavy rains and earthquakes. In 1889, this church was destroyed during the Filipino-American war, leaving only the adobe wall surviving. A mural depicting the patroness of the town, painted by national artist Fernando Amorsolo, has replaced the image ravaged during the war. This image is currently placed on the left side portion of the Church's main altar. On 1966, a reconstruction of the church emerged upon the initiative of Cardinal Rufino Jiao Santos. It was solemnly blessed on February 25, 1968. On December 1, 2007, during the official town fiesta, a Historical Marker was installed by the National Historical Institute on its facade, coinciding with the celebration of the third centenary of the construction of the Church. The current parish priest is Rev. Msgr. Arnel F. Lagarejos, SThD, a Diocesan Priest from the town of Binangonan.
During Cainta's modernization period, traditions became more glamorous, most especially during the Lenten season. The most noteworthy rituals are the Cenakulo (a stage play of the passion and death of Christ) and the Ang Pagpapapako or Penetencia (a re-enactment of the crucifixion of Christ).
The Senakulo in Cainta dates back to 1904. It originated from Barrio Dayap (the entire area now includes Barangays Sta. Rosa, Sto Niño and Sto. Domingo). At that time the population consisted of a small group of residents who were mostly related to each other. Since most of the people believed that calamities were brought in by evil spirits, they decided to put up cross on a vacant lot to counter them. The barrio people paid homage to the cross by lighting it every night. One memorable incident happened during the Lenten season when a strange fragrance supposedly emanated from the cross. The news spread out not only in the barrio but also in the entire town of Cainta.
Believing in the mystery of the cross, many people in Barrio Dayap and the whole town of Cainta have since then vowed to read the Pasyon (Seven Last Words of Christ) every Lenten season. This has been enriched by an actual portrayal of the Passion of Christ on the streets which was formerly called "Officio". Many problems have been allegedly solved and illnesses cured through the cross as many people continuously believed.
Over the years the followers of the cross have multiplied rapidly. To give deeper meaning to their devotion and showcase their religiosity, they broached the idea of staging the Pasyon. The first stage play was held a few years later, although initially it was limited in scope. It became so popular that the presentation was expanded to include stories from the Old Testament and other stages in the life of Christ and has become known as the Cenakulo. The venue was transferred to an open field in 1966 to accommodate a larger audience.
Samahang Nazareno Inc. was organized in 1960, developed and enhanced the various aspects of cenakulo. The local Roman Catholic parishioner gave the association its moral and financial support for it believed that it was an effective means of imparting its Christian message to the public.
On Good Friday, the town witnesses a yearly depiction of the station of the cross in the crucifixion of Christ. A devotee, in hopes of being absolved from sin plays the role of Christ and voluntarily sacrifices himself to be flailed and whipped and be "nailed" on a cross, although most of the wounds are shallow and superficial. This spectacle might seem barbaric to a foreigner, however it has been a long-held tradition accepted by many of the inhabitants not only of Cainta, but of other parts of the country as well. This is held by 10 different groups at the Liwasang Bayan (town plaza) and in other parts of town.
- Wiseacre School Inc. - Greenpark Village
- Dayspring Academy (A Christian School)
- Morning Dew Montessori School Inc.
- Hope Academy
- Janssenville Elementary School (Public)
- Greenland Academy
- Faith Christian School
- Cainta Catholic College
- Cainta Elementary School (Public)
- San Juan Elementary School (Public)
- San Juan Elementary School- Unit 1 (Public)
- F. P. Felix Elementary School (Public)
- F. P. Felix Elementary School - Unit 1 (Public)
- KABISIG Elementary School (Public)
- San Francisco Elementary School (Public)
- Marick Elementary School (Public)
- St. Joseph Elementary School (Public)
- Exodus Elementary School (Public)
- Karangalan Elementary School (Public)
- Planters Elementary School (Public)
- San Isidro Balanti Elementary School (Public)
- Saint Francis of Assisi Montessori School of Cainta
- Eastville Learning Center Inc.
- Queen Mary Learning Center
- Colegio Sto. Domingo
- His Little Ones Learning Center, Inc
- Agapeland Christian Academy
- Lorenzo Ruiz de Manila school
- Greenpark Montessori Learning Center
- Francisco P. Felix Memorial National High School
- Gov. Isidro Rodriguez Memorial National High School (Public)
- San Juan National High School (Public)
- Greenpark High School
- Faith Christian School
- Hope Christian School
- Lorenzo Ruiz De Manila School
- Roots of Learning Center
- Faith Christian School
- University of Rizal System -Cainta Campus ~ (Public)
- STI College Cainta
- St. John Bosco Institute of Arts and Sciences
- Cainta Catholic College
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Cainta, Rizal|
- Official Website
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- 1995 Philippine Census Information
- 2000 Philippine Census Information
- 2007 Philippine Census Information (1)
- 2007 Philippine Census Information (2)
- Local Governance Performance Management System
|Pasig City||Antipolo City|