||This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2013)|
|City of Bogo
Dakbayan sa Bogo (Cebuano)
Lungsod ng Bogo (Tagalog)
|— Component City —|
|San Vicente Ferrer Church, The Shrine of Our Lady of Miraculous Medal, Bogo City Hall, Capitancillo Islet, Bogo Public Plaza.|
|Region||Central Visayas (Region VII)|
|Congr. district||4th district of Cebu|
|Cityhood||June 16, 2007|
|• Mayor||Celestino "Junie" Martinez Jr.|
|• Total||103.52 km2 (39.97 sq mi)|
|• Density||680/km2 ( 1,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PHT (UTC+8)|
|Income class||4th Class City|
New Bogo City Hall 
New Bogo Business District, Buac, Cayang, Bogo City, Cebu 
The New Bogo City Hall is now open for business. Yes, the Local Government of the City of Bogo is now operating in the New Bogo City Hall, sitting at a 6-hectare lot donated by Sra. Nilda Espinosa Martinez and Mr. Robie Hererra.
The said area is in the middle of more than a hundred hectare of flat lands planted with sugar cane and now being converted into a new commercial district. Many companies, entities and business groups are now showing interest already to invest and put up business establishments in the area. The first ever to own lot and will soon start constructing a mall is the Robinsons Land, Inc. Around the New City Hall will also rise more buildings that will house most, if not all service-oriented Government Agencies that will serve not only the people of Bogo and the neighboring towns, but also the neighboring provinces of Masbate and Leyte.
This project is aimed at boosting economic activities in the City of Bogo and its neighboring towns. Mayor Junie Martinez started this project in 2009. Construction was stopped sometime in 2010 due to the flip-flopping of the Supreme Court decision on Bogo's cityhood status and 15 other LGUs.
Starting last April 15, 2013, the New City Hall is now serving the people of Bogo. For inquiries, you can call the New City Hall at (032) 260-5310, 260-5311 and 260-5312. Then ask the operator to connect you to the Office that you wish to call.
Last April 16, 2013, Tuesday, the New Bogo City Hall was blessed followed by the Holy Mass officiated by Msgr. Isidro "Dhodong" Ullamot, Fr. Dave Jurcales, Fr. Jermaine Lecciones, Fr. Maning Tan, and a newly assigned priest in Bogo. The New Bogo City Hall was inaugurated on April 19, 2013 by no less than HIS EXCELLENCY BENIGNO S. AQUINO III, President of the Republic of the Philippines.
- Anonang Norte - Hon. Josefina Balais
- Anonang Sur - Hon. George Tabaco
- Banban - Hon. Jose Oporto
- Binabag - Hon. Aida Dy Mangubat
- Bungtod (Pob.)Jose Brainard Mayol (ABC Pres.)
- Carbon (Pob.) - Hon. Rosendo Barte
- Cayang - Hon. Alexander Estrella
- Cogon (Pob.)- Hon. Vivian Canama
- Dakit - Hon. Efren Tolingin
- Don Pedro Rodriguez - Hon. Propetacio Bañares
- Gairan - Hon. Nestor Lumongsod
- Guadalupe - Hon. Jefren Cortez
- LaPaz - Hon. Marlou T. Ancajas
- La Purisima Concepcion (Pob.)- Hon. Jose Felix Mandal Rodriguez
- Libertad - Hon. Artemio Diola
- Lourdes - Hon. Erwin Ortega
- Malingin - Hon. Marilyn Calidguid
- Marangog - Hon. Restituto Balunan
- Nailon - Hon. Pio Yurango
- Odlot - Hon. Jissan Cadlawon
- Pandan (Pandan Heights)- Hon. Jack Lester Lepiten
- Polambato - Hon. Narciso Melendrez
- Sambag (Pob.) - Hon. Clive Bendijo
- San Vicente (Pob.) - Hon. Oliver Escolar
- Santo Niño - Hon. Cesar Jusay
- Santo Rosario (Pob.) - Hon. Nelly Guevarra
- Siocon - Hon. Emma Jagdon
- Sudlonon - Hon. Jaime Perino
- Taytayan - Hon. Nestor Aranas
The year 1600 usher in the founding of a real settlement which was subsequently transformed into a barangay where small huts made of cogon and bamboos squatted at the site where the Bogo Central Extension now stands. While the barangays was then a part of another bustling community in the north, now known as the town of DaanBantayan, the natives enjoyed tacit freedom of self-rule although they continued to pay tributes and taxes to the chieftain of DaanBantayan. This barangay grew in prominence and for this reason, it was separated from the vassalage of DaanBantayan. Hence, in January 1850 the Bishop of Cebu, appointed Father Jaime Micalot, Spanish friar as the first parish priest of Bogo and decreed Saint Vincent Ferrer as the town's patron saint.
The first mass was celebrated in the hastily built chapel of cogon roofing and mixed bamboo and lumber materials on April 5, 1850, to coincide with the death anniversary of the patron saint. Unfortunately, however, this chapel was gutted by fire of undetermined origin and a new stone church was constructed at the same place where the present Bogo Town Plaza is located. About this time, the Spanish authorities in Bogo introduced civil government. Pedro Aballe became the first Cabeza de Barangay or Capitan of the Town from 1864 to 1869. The late Ex-Senator Pedro L. Rodriguez, popularly known as the Grand Old Man of Bogo named one of the oldest streets of the town after him.
In those times, a Capitan or Cabeza de Barangay took charge of th recollection of tributes to support the encomienda system of Spain. Late the tribute was substituted with the "papelita" (cedula) which the individual paid in two installments annually. A taxpayer who could not afford to pay the cost of papelita in the amount of P1.50 was made to work on local projects at fifty centavos a week. Because of this, a good number of delinquent taxpayers escaped and hid in the mountain fastness of Bogo.
Early historian aver that the town of Bogo derived its name from a lone bogo tree which stood on the brink of the shore which is now a part of Bogo wharf. Under its spreading shade the natives of the place meet incoming traders who rode on frail sailboats loaded with goods to be sold or bartered with the natives of the town. Thus, this spot became a rendezvous for traders and merchants as well as for nature lovers and leisure-seeker who found refuge and comfort under the cool shade of the tree made more poignant by the balmy air wafted by the ocean breeze. Some of these traders, however remained and married with the natives of the place.
A few years before the turn of the 20th century, eventful episodes took place in the town marked by fire and blood. The nationalistic fervor of the Katipuneros in Luzon fanned the flames of the resistant movement in Cebu. In Bogo, the younger kins of the Katipuneros, the so-called "Pulahans" exacted heavy tolls on the forces of the Casadores (guadia civil) during fierce encounters near the out-skirts of the town. Although the Pulahans were ill-armed, untrained and outnumbered at times, they nevertheless continued to hit back at the enemy with unrelenting vigor and determination.
Success was almost within their grasps when in 1898, an American cavalry unit under Captain Rowan landed at Nailon point, a norteastern barrio, and proceeded to the Poblacion where he assembled his troops in front of the Catholic Church. On hand to meet him was Pedro L. Rodriguez then Presidente Municipal of the town. After brief amenities, Capt. Rowan and Presidente Rodriguez sealed an agreement for the protection of the civilian populace of the town.
With the defeat of the Spanish forces in the islands from the hands of the invading American armies-political, economic, social and educational reforms were instituted. Thus, was born the American system of government which the Filipinos enjoyed for almost half a century.
World War II 
Again in 1941, the Philippines, being a territory of the United States, became a battleground in an undeclared war between the invading Japanese Imperial Forces and the combined Fil-American troops. After the surrender of the USAFFE from Bogo refused to swear allegiance to the Japanese. They went to the hills and organized guerilla warfare headed by disbanded officers of the constabulary and army units in the province.
Under the command of Capt. Garcia the guerilla forces encamped at Mt. Binabag. Foremost among the guerilla were Jose Carrasco, Jose Momongan, Leo Española and several civilian volunteers who joined the guerilla movement.
Cognizant of the anti-Japanese sentiment of this armed group who were determined to carry out harassment tactics against the occupation troops in northern Bogo, six Japanese seaplane bombed the town of Bogo on the early morning of December 12, 1942. Several civilians cost their lives and many injured. In order to quell the seething rebellion, the Japanese military authorities in Cebu established a garrison in the town in a building now owned by the Northern Cebu Colleges. Captured guerillas and sympathizers were subjected to untold brutalities at the Japanese garrison. As a means to win the loyalty and support of the people of the town, the local puppet administration was established in Bogo under Japanese supervision. Councilor Moises Lepatan was appointed town mayor during the occupation.
Liberation came in 1944, and no sooner civilian government was restored. Ex-Municipal Secretary Perfecto Andrino was appointed first Mayor of Bogo after liberation by the victorious Liberal Party of President Manuel Roxas in 1945. In the first local election held after the World War II, Severo Verallo, considerable majority elected the candidate of the Liberal Party in the town mayor. Hand in hand, the people and the local leaders worked feverishly to regain the town's enviable prestige as the Queen Town of Northern Cebu out of the shambles and ruins of the last war.
The plebiscite for the cityhood of Bogo was held on 16 June 2007. After few hours of canvassing, 97.82% of voters of Bogo voted for "yes" for cityhood. Former representative Clavel Asas-Matinez announced that the cityhood of Bogo has been ratified. It became the sixth component city of Cebu province.
On 19 November 2008, the City of Bogo was demoted along with 2 other cities in Cebu and 13 other cities in the Philippines. The Supreme Court ruled out that the 16 cities did not pass the requirements for cityhood.
On December 10, 2008, Bogo and the other 15 cities affected filed a motion for reconsideration with the Supreme Court. More than a year later, on December 22, 2009, acting on said appeal, the Court reversed its earlier ruling as it ruled that "at the end of the day, the passage of the amendatory law (regarding the criteria for cityhood as set by Congress) is no different from the enactment of a law, i.e., the cityhood laws specifically exempting a particular political subdivision from the criteria earlier mentioned. Congress, in enacting the exempting law/s, effectively decreased the already codified indicators. SC reverses self, upholds creation of 16 cities As such, the cityhood status of Bogo is effectively restored.
On August 27, 2010, Bogo lost its city status again. It shared this fate with 15 other cities after the Supreme Court voted 7-6, with two justices not taking part, to reinstate a 2008 decision declaring as “unconstitutional" the Republic Acts (RAs) that converted 16 municipalities into cities. A previous law required towns aspiring to become cities to earn at least P100 million annually, which none of the 16 did.
On February 15, 2011, the Supreme Court upheld for the third time the cityhood of Bogo and 15 other towns in the Philippines.
As of June 2011, an Entry of Judgement which states that Bogo City and 15 other LGUs' cityhood laws are all constitutional. This entry of judgement ended the cityhood battle of Bogo.
|Population census of Bogo|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
Pintos Festival 
Is an annual festival in the northern city of Bogo that showcases their delicious delicacy the pintos. Barangays all around Bogo City jive up together to form 5 cluster tribes. ‘Kuyayang’ is a courtship dance of the Bogohanons that is staged before the community during fiestas. This street mardi gras as a cultural tourism festival of Bogo manifests the cultural heritage of the town and serves as an avenue for cultural conservancy of the city.
The Official Pintos Festival Jingle was composed by Mr. Dante J. Mayor with the assistance of Christian Yurango. The composition was finalized with the musical guidance of Mr. Slavsky Ybañez. The lyrics was originally written by Mr. Gremer Chan Reyes and was edited by Dante J. Mayor and Rev. Fr. Eligio M. Suico.
The latest version of the Bogo Pintos Festival Jingle was rearranged by Elvis Somosot and was recorded at his own studio at Musikinesis, beside Plaza Independencia, Cebu City. It was recorded last July 22, 2011 by the selected Bogo City Employees under the baton of Mr. Slavsky Ybañez.
Elementary Schools 
High Schools 
- Banban National High School
- Binabag High School
- Bartolome Piañar Municipal National High School Odlot Ext. (Dakit)
- Cayang National High School Ext.
- Don Potenciano Catarata Municipal National High School Ext. (Guadalupe)
- La Paz National High School Ext.
- Libertad National High School Ext.
- Jovencio N. Masong National High School (Nailon)
- Odlot National High School Ext.
- San Roque Child Development School (Private Elementary and High School)
- Cebu Roosevelt Memorial Colleges - (High School and College)
- Felipe R. Verallo Memorial Foundation College, Inc. - (Elementary, High School, and College)
- Northern Cebu Colleges - (High School and College)
- St. Louise de Marillac College (Holy Family Academy) - (High School and College)
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "Province: Cebu". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010". 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 1 April 2013.
- Napallacan, Jhunex (2008-11-21). "Cities’ demotion worries DepEd execs". Cebu Daily News. Inquirer.net. Retrieved 2008-11-27.
- Official Website of the City Government of Bogo
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Bogohanons' Social Network
- City of Bogo
- Townfolks celebrate Bogo’s cityhood
|San Remigio||Camotes Sea|