An example of a system: The nervous system. This basic diagram shows that this system is made up of 4 different basic organs: the brain
, the cerebellum
, the spinal cord
, and the nerves
In biology, a biological system (or organ system or body system) is a group of organs that work together to perform a certain task. Common systems, such as those present in mammals and other animals, seen in human anatomy, are those such as the circulatory system, the respiratory system, the nervous system, etc.
A group of systems composes an organism, e.g. the human body.
These specific systems are widely studied in Human anatomy. "Human" systems are also present in many other animals.
- Circulatory system: pumping and channelling blood to and from the body and lungs with heart, blood and blood vessels.
- Integumentary system: skin, hair, fat, and nails.
- Skeletal system: structural support and protection with bones, cartilage, ligaments and tendons.
- Reproductive system: the sex organs, such as ovaries, fallopian tubes, uterus, vagina, mammary glands, testes, vas deferens, seminal vesicles and prostate
- Digestive system: digestion and processing food with salivary glands, esophagus, stomach, liver, gallbladder, pancreas, intestines, rectum and anus.
- Urinary system: kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra involved in fluid balance, electrolyte balance and excretion of urine.
- Respiratory system: the organs used for breathing, the pharynx, larynx, bronchi, lungs and diaphragm.
- Endocrine system: communication within the body using hormones made by endocrine glands such as the hypothalamus, pituitary gland, pineal body or pineal gland, thyroid, parathyroids and adrenals, i.e., adrenal glands.
- Lymphatic system: structures involved in the transfer of lymph between tissues and the blood stream; includes the lymph and the nodes and vessels.
- Muscular system: allows for manipulation of the environment, provides locomotion, maintains posture, and produces heat. Includes only skeletal muscle, not smooth muscle or cardiac muscle.
- Nervous system: collecting, transferring and processing information with brain, spinal cord and peripheral nervous system.
Wall Street Journal- India
Wall Street Journal- India
Mon, 17 Jun 2013 16:04:51 -0700
"It is adaptive to have a [biological] system that encourages you to start exploring outside the home, to start making your new own peer circles," says Beatriz Luna, a developmental cognitive neuroscientist at the University of Pittsburgh Medical ...
Mon, 17 Jun 2013 06:11:45 -0700
A TAMU Engineering report by Lane Stephenson quotes Dr. Dougherty observing: “Given the primary roles of communication and control as distinguishing features of a biological system, as opposed to merely a collection of complex molecules, the ...
Fri, 14 Jun 2013 07:41:22 -0700
However, he says most non-reproducible results are nothing to do with fraud, as it will always be harder to reproduce something with as many variables and assumptions as are involved in a complex biological system than, say, figuring out a ...
Texas A&M University
Thu, 13 Jun 2013 15:23:07 -0700
“Given the primary roles of communication and control as distinguishing features of a biological system, as opposed to merely a collection of complex molecules, the mathematical foundations of medicine naturally fall within signal processing and ...
Thu, 13 Jun 2013 11:59:22 -0700
Talent, ideas, and capital are the nutrients moving through this biological system, and the system becomes more productive the faster these nutrients are allowed to flow. That's where the issue of culture becomes so important. When people in a company ...
Wed, 12 Jun 2013 16:29:24 -0700
"Thinking of it in a public health model approach, if you look at how malware spreads across the internet, it actually mimics the biological system," he said. "Thinking about it in terms of a medical approach... [such as] how much do you need to ...
Tue, 04 Jun 2013 13:19:32 -0700
We've been looking at the signals that humans put out and that other animals put out, and think that that's language. But what we really should be looking at is the whole biological system that's involved in language production, language reception ...
The Week Magazine
The Week Magazine
Mon, 03 Jun 2013 18:45:47 -0700
In a preliminary paper (Warning: Complex physics equations), the team outlined several mechanical designs that attempt to show how the cicada's biological system works. Real-world devices based on those designs, researcher Derke Hughes explained, ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Biological system with people all over the world in our discussions.