|Bhakkar, Punjab, Pakistan|
|Elevation||522 ft (159 m)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+5)|
|• Summer (DST)||+6 (UTC)|
Bhakkar city is also the administrative centre of Bhakkar Tehsil one of the four tehsils of the district. Bhakkar Tehsil is sudivided into 17 Union Councils, three of which form the city of Bhakkar.
Following are the demographics of the Bhakar district, by spoken language:
- Punjab local people different dialects: 95%
- Other: 5%
Inhabitants of Bhakar district speak a great variety of Punjabi dialects, although few of these dialects are called as a separate language “Saraiki”, but because of good and loving nature of people there is no distinction or hate among different dialects and have a mix culture of Great (East and West) Punjab.
- Thalochi (Local Desert Punjabi dialect spoken by 60%)
- Majhi (Standard Punjabi spoken by 30%, Specially spoken in newly cultivated and city areas)
- Jandali/Rohi (Northern border area near Mianwali district)
- Shapuri (North Eastern border area near Khushab district)
- Jhangvi (South Eastern border area near Jhang district)
Other Languages include:
- Urdu is mother tongue of few people but being national language is spoken and understood by the sizeable population.
- English is also understood and spoken by few, mainly educated elite.
- Pashto which is spoken by minority population in the KPK province border areas and in the cities.
Bhakkar was founded probably towards the close of the fifteenth century by a body of colonists from Dera Ismail Khan
During British rule Bhakkar Town was headquarters of Bhakkar tahsil (now Bhakkar District) in Mianwali District, and was on the North-Western Railway line. The municipality was created in 1874. Its income and expenditure during the ten years ending 1902–3 averaged Rs. 7,700. The income in 1903-4 was Rs. 7,500, chiefly derived from octroi; and the expenditure was Rs. 8,600. The population according to the 1901 census of India was 5,312, at that time the town contained a dispensary and a municipal vernacular middle school.
The Imperial Gazetteer of India described the town as follows:
|“||It stands on the edge of the Thal or sandy plain overlooking the low-lying alluvial lands along; the river, a channel of which is navigable as far as Bhakkar during the floods. To the west of the town the land is low, well cultivated, and subject to inundation, while to the east the country is high and dry, treeless, and sandy. A rich extent of land irrigated from wells lies below the town, protected by embankments from inundations of the Indus, and produces two or three crops in the year. The neighbouring riverain is full of date groves and fruit gardens; and in it stands a famous mango-tree, the fruit of which used to be sent to Kabul in the old days of Afghan rule.||”|
The town has some historical places like the Dilkusha Bagh which is believed by some to be a Mughal garden built by Humayun, however Humayun never visited the area, on his retreat to Iran, he went to another place called Bakhar (in Sindh) to seek help from Mahmood Khan, which was however denied by historian Henry Raverty. This garden is ruined now and no signs of history are present, only stories about the garden can be heard around.
The old town was walled and had the Tavela, Imamanwala and King Gates, of the three the King Gate, which was built during the British period and was named after Mr King the then Deputy Commissioner of the Mianwali District, survives – since the end of colonial rule it has been renamed as the Jinnah Gate
This is a very scarce silver coin belonging to the reign of Nadir Shah 1148–1160 AH (1735–1747) of the Afsharid dynasty. It is an Indian type minted during his post-occupation of. It is listed by type as Album #2744.2 (Type D). It weighs 11.3 gr. (18 mm.) and minted in the city of Bhakkar in the state of Punjab in India, dated 1157AH.
Bhakkar is now a bustling town, with population of more than three hundred thousand.