The name is derived from Belhus mansion (Belle House) which was the home of the Barrett-Lennard family. The house was visited by Queen Elizabeth I in 1578. The family auctioned the contents of Belhus in 1923 and the house was demolished after World War II, due to suffering bomb damage as well as vandalism from the military personnel who were stationed there. The mansion gave its name to the manor of Belhus.
Belhus today 
The grounds around the mansion were landscaped by Capability Brown in the 1740s and 1750s. Some of the features including earthen mounds can be seen in the original parkland which is currently used for part of the golf course. Another Capability Brown feature - the 'long pond' - can still be seen, although the construction of the M25 motorway has robbed it of its original rural setting. The remains of the mansion can still be seen on the 10th hole of the golf course. A wooded country park has been developed using other parts of the grounds of the house.
Some parts of the original interior are in the Thurrock Museum, including a magnificent fireplace. The museum also has a painting depicting the house at the beginning of the 18th century. Other parts of the interior were rescued when the house was demolished and are displayed at Valence House Museum, Dagenham.
Ghost Story 
The house was reputed to be haunted. Father Hugh (the 6th baronet of Belhus) visited it in 1930. The occupant of Belhus at this time was his aunt, Mrs. J. D. Fitzgerald. He and his mother climbed the tower, had a look round from the rooftop and came down the narrow steps. They heard footsteps behind them and as they knew there had been nobody on the roof, they quickened their pace but the footsteps came faster and faster. On reaching the exit they slammed the door and turned the key and then there was banging on the door. Father Hugh confessed that he was frightened; they were both too afraid to open the door and have a look.
- John Nichols, The Progresses and Public Processions of Queen Elizabeth
- Cap. Brown http://www.lhi.org.uk/projects_directory/projects_by_region/east_of_england/essex/belhus_park_heritage_trail/index.html Retrieved 23/10/07
- Thurrock Museum Heritage Factfile, number 17 (see external links)
- report on the Thurrock Local History Society web site http://www.thurrock-community.org.uk/historysoc/fatherh.htm
- A short history of Belhus mansion
- An 18th century painting of Belhus mansion
- Belhus Park Heritage Trail
- Essex County Council website