Bungtó han Basáy
Bird's eye view of Basey, Samar from Guintolian Hill
Map of Samar showing the location of Basey
|Region||Eastern Visayas (Region VIII)|
|Congr. district||2nd district of Samar|
|• Mayor||Junji Ponferrada|
|• Total||513.01 km2 (198.07 sq mi)|
|• Density||98/km2 (250/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
|Income class||1st class; partially urban|
Basey is a first-class municipality in the province of Samar, Philippines. According to the 2010 census of the National Statistics Office, it has a population of 50,423. Basay is said to be the Leyte's capital during the American period. It is currently the record holder in the Guinness Book of World Records for the world's longest mat or banig.
On 8 November 2013, Basey was one of the places heavily devastated by Super Typhoon Haiyan, leaving more than 200 people dead.
The town's name is pronounced "Basai" or "Basay", not "basÉY". This mispronunciation was propagated by American soldiers in the early days of the American colonial period. There is no "ey" sound in the Waray-Waray language. Basay is from the Waray word mabaisai, meaning "beautiful".
- Del Pilar
- New San Agustin
- Nouvelas Occidental
- Nouvelas Oriental
- Old San Agustin
- Baybay (Pob.)
- Buscada (Pob.)
- Lawa-an (Pob.)
- Loyo (Pob.)
- Mercado (Pob.)
- Palaypay (Pob.)
- Sulod (Pob.)
- San Antonio
- San Fernando
- Villa Aurora
|Population census of Basey|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
The town of Basey is famous for its beautiful Sohoton Caves, whose inner chamber features stalactites, stalagmites, and an underground river. The town is also known for artistically woven decorative mats called Banig. Tourists buy these mats as souvenir items.
- "Municipalities". Quezon City, Philippines: Department of the Interior and Local Government. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- "Province: Samar (Western Samar)". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- "An Act Converting the Sitio of Cancoral in the Municipality of Basey, Province of Samar, into Barrio of Roxas". LawPH.com. Retrieved 2011-04-12.
- "Province of Western Samar". Municipality Population Data. LWUA Research Division. Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- "Sohoton Caves, Basey, Samar". gerryruiz photoblog. Retrieved 22 August 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Basey, Samar.|
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
- More photos and information on Basey Municipality
||Pinabacdao||Borongan, Eastern Samar|
|Santa Rita||Maydolong, Eastern Samar
Balangkayan, Eastern Samar
|Tacloban / San Juanico Strait||San Pedro Bay / Marabut|