Today, descendants from the tribe live in the Arabian Peninsula and neighboring countries such as, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Iraq, Jordan, Syria, Tunisia, Egypt, Qatar, Oman, Bahrain, United Arab Emirates & the Palestinian Territories. Banu Tamim often hold genealogy in high regard, carefully recording birth and family data (especially in the Arabian Peninsula).
The word Tamim in Arabic means strong and solid.
Among the tribe's members are:
- Jarīr - classical Arab poet
- القعقاع_بن_عمرو_التميمي (ar)
- Khabbab ibn al-Aratt - Sahabi; companion of prophet Muhammad
- Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani current emir of Qatar 
- Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani previous emir of Qatar 
- Muhammad ibn Abd al-Wahhab - Islamic scholar
- Muhammad Ibn al 'Uthaymīn (d. 2001 C.E.) - Saudi Arabian Islamic scholar
- Al-Qa'qa'a ibn Amr at-Tamim i - Banu Tamim General who gathered an army from his tribe and helped conquer Persia.
Banu Tamim's four major branches
- Amr bin Tamim
- Hanthalah bin Tamim
- Saad bin Tamim
- The Aghlabid dynasty
- The Al Thani, ruling family of Qatar 
- The Al ash-Sheikh family of the Grand Muftis of the Emirate of Diriyah, then the Emirate of Najd and now modern day Saudi Arabia
- From Musnad Ahmad ibn Hanbal ; "do not say of Bani Tameem anything but good, for indeed they are the severest of people in attacking the Dajjaal."
- In a Hadith collected in both Sahih al Bukhari and Sahih Musim Abu Hurairah said "I have loved the people of the tribe of Banu Tamim, ever since I heard three things the Messenger of Allaah , sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, said about them. I heard him saying, 'these people (of the tribe of Banu Tamim) would stand firm against the Dajjaal.' When the Saddaqat from that tribe came, the Messenger of Allaah , sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, said, "these are the Saddaqat (charitable gifts) of our folk." Aa'ishah had a slave girl from that tribe, and the Prophet , sallallaahu alayhi wa sallam, said to Aa'ishah, 'manumit her as she is a descendant of Ismaa'eel, alayhis salaam."
- Narrated Abu Said Al-Khudri: While the Prophet was distributing (war booty etc.) one day, Dhul Khawaisira, a man from the tribe of bani tamim, said, "O Allah's Apostle! Act justly." The Prophets said, "Woe to you! Who else would act justly if I did not act justly?" 'Umar said (to the Prophet ), "Allow me to chop his neck off." The Prophet said, "No, for he has companions (who are apparently so pious that) if anyone of (you compares his prayer with) their prayer, he will consider his prayer inferior to theirs, and similarly his fasting inferior to theirs, but they will desert Islam (go out of religion) as an arrow goes through the victim's body (games etc.) in which case if its Nasl is examined nothing will be seen thereon, and if its Nady is examined, nothing will be seen thereon, and if its Qudhadh is examined, nothing will be seen thereon, for the arrow has gone out too fast even for the excretions and blood to smear over it. Such people will come out at the time of difference among the (Muslim) people and the sign by which they will be recognized, will be a man whose one of the two hands will look like the breast of a woman or a lump of flesh moving loosely." Abu Said added, "I testify that I heard that from the Prophet and also testify that I was with 'Ali when 'Ali fought against those people. The man described by the Prophet was searched for among the killed, and was found, and he was exactly as the Prophet had described him." ()
- Narrated Abu Bakra: Al-Aqra' bin Habis said to the Prophet "Nobody gave you the pledge of allegiance but the robbers of the pilgrims (i.e. those who used to rob the pilgrims) from the tribes of Aslam, Ghifar, Muzaina." (Ibn Abi Ya'qub is in doubt whether Al-Aqra' added. 'And Juhaina.') The Prophet said, "Don't you think that the tribes of Aslam, Ghifar, Muzaina (and also perhaps) Juhaina are better than the tribes of Bani Tamim, Bani Amir, Asad, and Ghatafan?" Somebody said, "They were unsuccessful and losers!" The Prophet said, "Yes, by Him in Whose Hands my life is, they (i.e. the former) are better than they (i.e. the latter)." Abu Huraira said, "(The Prophet said), '(The people of) Bani Aslam, Ghifar and some people of Muzaina (or some people of Juhaina or Muzaina) are better in Allah's Sight (or on the Day of Resurrection) than the tribes of Asad, Tamim, Hawazin and Ghatafan.' "
- Kister, M. J (November 1965). "Mecca and Tamīm (Aspects of Their Relations)". Journal of the Economic and Social History of the Orient 8 (2): 113–163. doi:10.2307/3595962. JSTOR 3595962.
- USC-MSA Compendium of Muslim Texts
- ^a b c d e f g h i "Sheikh Tamim's biography". Qatar News Agency. Retrieved 25 June 2013.
- Windfuhr, Volkhard; Zand, Bernhard (29 March 2009). "SPIEGEL Interview with the Emir of Qatar – 'We Are Coming to Invest'". Spiegel.de. Retrieved 2 March 2012.
- أستاذي:الشيخ محمد الصالح العثيمين
- sahih bukhari;Volume 4, Book 56, Number 807;Book 73, Hadith 184
- sahih bukhari Book 56, Hadith 719