Bank of Africa (Uganda) (BOA Uganda), whose complete name is Bank of Africa (Uganda) Limited, is a commercial bank in Uganda. It is one of the commercial banks licensed by Bank of Uganda, the country's central bank and the national banking regulator.
BOA Uganda is involved in all aspects of commercial banking with emphasis on provision of banking services to multinational companies, mid-size local enterprises and small retail businesses. As of December 2011Uganda, with a total asset base valued at about US$174.4 million (UGX:431.7 billion). This represented approximately 3% of all commercial bank assets in the country, at that time. Then, the shareholders' equity amounted to about US$18.4 million (UGX:45.6 billion).
, BOA Uganda was a medium-sized financial services provider in
Bank of Africa Group
The bank is a member of the Bank of Africa Group, a multinational, Pan African bank headquartered in Bamako, Mali, with presence in fourteen African countries, including Benin, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Ghana, Kenya, Ivory Coast, Madagascar, Mali, Niger, Senegal, Tanzania and Uganda. The group also maintains an office in Paris, France. As of December 2011 , the group employed more than 4,500 people in about 340 offices, in 15 countries, servicing nearly 1,200,000 bank accounts.
Bank of Africa (Uganda) started its operations in 1984 as Sembule Investment Bank. In 1996, Sembule Investment Bank was purchased by Banque Belgolaise and the Netherlands Development Finance Company (FMO). The new owners renamed the bank Allied Bank. In October 2006, Banque Belgolaise sold their shares to a group of investors that included Bank of Africa (Kenya), Aureos East Africa Fund LLC and Central Holdings (Uganda) Limited. The name of the bank was changed to Bank of Africa (Uganda) Limited.
The share ownership of Bank of Africa (Uganda) is summarized in the table below, as of December 2011:
|Bank of Africa Stock Ownership
- Bank of Africa Uganda: Annual Report 2011
John Caruthers is the Chairman of the bank. In December 2010, Ms. Edigold Monday was appointed Managing Director of Bank of Africa (Uganda). She became the first indigenous woman to rise to the level of Managing Director, of a commercial bank, in the history of Uganda. She is assisted by seven other managers in supervising the day-to-day bank activities.
As of August 2012Uganda. The bank's branches include the following locations, arranged alphabetically:
, Bank of Africa Uganda maintains a network of thirty-two branches in the central, eastern, northern and western parts of
- Arua Branch - 19 Avenue Road, Arua
- Bbira Branch - Mityana Road, Bbira, Wakiso District
- Clive Road Branch - 18 Clive Road East, Jinja
- Entebbe Branch - 16 Kampala Road, Entebbe
- Equatoria Branch - 84-86 Ben Kiwanuka Street, Kampala
- Fort Portal Branch - 14 Bwamba Road, Fort Portal
- Gulu Branch - 11 Awere Road, Gulu
- Hoima Branch - 13 Wright Road, Hoima
- Jinja Branch - 1 Main Street, Jinja
- Kabalagala Branch - 559 Ggaba Road, Kabalagala, Kampala
- Kalongo Branch - 16 Patongo Road Kalongo
- Kawempe Banch - 125 Bombo Road, Kawempe, Kampala
- Kololo Branch - Kisementi, 9 Cooper Road, Kololo, Kampala
- Kampala Road Branch - 48 Kampala Road, Kampala
- Lira Branch - Town View Hotel, 1A Balla Road, Lira
- Luzira Branch - 1329-1330 Port Bell Road, Luzira, Kampala
- Main Branch - 45 Jinja Road, Kampala
- Mbale Branch - 26 Cathedral Avenue, Mbale
- Mbarara Branch - 1 Mbaguta Road, Mbarara
- Mukono Branch - 13 Kampala Road, Mukono
- Nakivubo Branch - Nabugabo Road, Kampala
- Nalukolongo Branch - Kobil Head Office, Wankulukuku Road, Nalukolongo, Kampala
- Namasuba Branch - 4010 Entebbe Road, Namasuba, Kampala
- Nansana Branch - 5390 Nansana Town Centre, Nansana
- Nateete Branch - 1-2 Old Masaka Road, Nateete, Kampala
- Ndeeba Branch - 1024 Masaka Road, Ndeeba
- Ntinda Branch - 7 Nakawa Road, Ntinda, Kampala
- Oasis Branch - Oasis Mall, 88-94 Yusuf Lule Road, Kampala
- Patongo Branch - 33 Dollo Road, Patongo
- Taxi Park Branch - Mukwano Centre, 40-46 Ben Kiwanuka Street, Kampala
- Wandegeya Branch - KM Plaza, 18 Bombo Road, Wandegeya, Kampala
Sickle cell Association of Uganda and Bank of Africa Car Boot Sale
Fundraising for a sicklecell testing machine on 23rd March 2013 at Legends Rugby Grounds.
Interview with Fabian Kasi, managing director of Centenary Bank of Uganda
Interview with Fabian Kasi, managing director of Centenary Bank of Uganda during the conference "Zipping Finance and Farming in Africa", which took place in ...
Uganda: Our Money - Our Bank
I shot and produced this multimedia piece about microfinance in Uganda in 2009. It was produced for the African Development Bank (AfDB) and tells the story S...
African Development Bank to issue second Uganda shilling bond [Slide Show]
African Development Bank to issue second Uganda shilling bond.
New Film Exposes the Devastating Impact of World Bank Backing for Land Investments in Uganda
MONDAY 23 APRIL: Released on the eve of the World Bank Conference on Land and Poverty in Washington DC, April 23-26, 2012, two new films reveal widespread vi...
Energy in Uganda - The World Bank
Since 1986, Uganda has evolved from a nearly "failed state" battered by violent dictatorships to a country with a track record of growth and institutional re...
Policy Challenges for Growth in Africa and South Asia
Speaker(s): Dr Omotunde E.G. Johnson, Dr Louis Kasekende, Dr Ijaz Nabi, Dr Abdul Hafiz Shaikh Chair: Professor Asim Khwaja Recorded on 25 September 2012 in S...
Uganda improves in World Bank survey
http://www.ntvuganda.co.ug Uganda's ranking in the World Bank global business survey has improved from 122nd to 129th position. However in East Africa, Rwand...
UGANDA HOSTS UN AND WORLD BANK
UGANDA HOSTS UN AND WORLD BANK The President Yoweri Museveni has met the United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and World Bank President Dr. Jim Yong K...
WORLD BANK REPORT ON DOING BUSINESS IN E AFRICA
A new international finance corporation and world bank report shows that in 2011/12 all five economies of the east african community burundi, kenya, rwanda, ...
We're sorry, but there's no news about "Bank of Africa (Uganda)" right now.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Bank of Africa (Uganda) with people all over the world in our discussions.