|The station in 1962|
|Original company||East Lancashire Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway|
|Post-grouping||London Midland and Scottish Railway|
|1 October 1852||Station opens|
|5 December 1966||Station closes|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
|Railways in Rossendale|
Opened by the East Lancashire Railway, then run by the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, it became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The LMS closed the line from Rochdale in June 1947, shortly before the station passed on to the London Midland Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. It was then closed by the British Railways Board as a result of the Beeching cuts of the mid-1960s. The line was cut back to Rawtenstall in 1966. Until the very day of closure in 1966 trains ran every half an hour (every fifteen minutes on Saturdays) and was a well used line until the end.
Few traces of the station remain today, as the site has now been redeveloped and built over.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Stacksteads||Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway
Rawtenstall to Bacup Line
|Britannia||Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway
Rochdale to Bacup Line
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0508-1. OCLC 60251199.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 0-9068-9999-0. OCLC 228266687.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 1-8526-0086-1. OCLC 22311137.
- Lost Railways of Lancashire by Gordon Suggitt (ISBN 1-85306-801-2)
- Bacup station on navigable O.S. map
- Old photos of Bacup station
- Photo of the old station site and route towards Rawtenstall
|This article on a railway station in North West England is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.