The Babe Ruth Home Run Award[note 1] is an annual award presented to the previous season's leading home run hitter in Major League Baseball (MLB). The award is named after the legendary Babe Ruth, who led the American League in homers 12 times. It was first awarded to Mark McGwire after his record-setting 1998 season. The award is a 21-pound (9.5 kg), 20-inch-high (51 cm) bronze statue of Ruth based on a 1920 photo of him following through on a tremendous swing.
The Babe Ruth Home Run Award was developed by brothers Jim and Brian Sullivan. Jim was the sculptor, while Brian focused on the marketing of the award. The Sullivans originally wanted to create a life-size statue of Ruth as a tourist attraction similar to the Michael Jordan statue. Unable to secure a sponsor, they created the award to honor Ruth. The trophy was estimated to cost around $4,000 as of 2006, and it is funded by the Sullivans and given on behalf of their company, Sullivan Artworks based in Weymouth, Massachusetts. MLB was not interested in sponsoring the award; the American League already honored its home run champion with a nameless award, and the National League offered the Mel Ott Award. Both the awards received little publicity. The Babe Ruth Home Run Award is usually presented to the recipient by Ruth's daughter, Julia Ruth Stevens, or her son, Tom Stevens.
List of winners
- ^ Some sources refer to it as the Babe Ruth Award, not to be confused with the Major League Baseball postseason award also named the Babe Ruth Award.
- ^ a b Syken, Bill (May 9, 2006). "Conspicuous absence". SI.com (Time Inc). Archived from the original on November 8, 2011.
- ^ a b Morrissey, Michael (June 6, 2004). "Hospital ward in Bronx". New York Post. p. 50. Retrieved November 8, 2011. "Before the game, Rodriguez received the Babe Ruth Award (for most homers in the majors last season) from Ruth's daughter and grandson."(subscription required)
- ^ Lelinwalla, Mark (June 21, 2008). "A-Rod gets award from Babe Ruth's family at Stadium". Daily News. Archived from the original on November 8, 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f At the following webpage, scroll down to "The Babe Ruth Homerun Award" (including photograph of the award trophy and list of recipients through the 2007 season). "06 Fan Stories: Ultimate Babe Ruth Fans". BabeRuthCentral.com. Babe Ruth Central. Archived from the original on November 8, 2011.
- ^ a b Adams, Steve (May 1, 1999). "South Shore brothers honor Babe Ruth". SouthCoastToday.com. Patriot Ledger News Service. Archived from the original on November 9, 2011.
- ^ a b c d Harber, Paul (July 22, 2001). "A statue fit for a home run king". The Boston Globe. Retrieved November 8, 2011. "Brian Sullivan of Weymouth and Jim Sullivan of Braintree were in fine company last weekend."(subscription required)
- ^ a b Shlimbaum, Gus (July 4, 2008). "A-Rod receives third Babe Ruth Award". The Patriot Ledger. Archived from the original on November 9, 2011.
- ^ a b MacMullan, Jackie (October 17, 2002). "A bronze homage to Babe". The Boston Globe. p. E3. Retrieved November 8, 2011. "By 2001, they were paying their own way to present Sammy Sosa with his Babe Ruth Award."(subscription required)
- ^ Wedge, Dave (October 25, 2009). "Yes we can... borrow slogans". Boston Herald. Archived from the original on October 29, 2009. "The award is usually given by Ruth’s grandson or daughter."
- ^ Logan, Bob (July 16, 2001). "Could McGriff be in Baylor's lineup tonight?". Daily Herald. p. section 2, page 3. "Stephens also presented Sosa with the Babe Ruth Home Run Award for leading both leagues with 50 homers last season."
- ^ "Yearly League Leaders & Records for Home Runs". baseball-reference.com. Sports Reference. Retrieved November 9, 2011.
- ^ Sanchez, Jesse (May 23, 2003). "Notes: Strength in the message". MLB.com (MLB Advanced Media). Archived from the original on November 8, 2011.
- ^ "Barry mows 'em down". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. July 9, 2006. p. B4. Retrieved May 21, 2013. "Before Saturday's game, Jones received the Babe Ruth Award for leading the major with 51 homers in 2005."(subscription required)
- ^ "Giese Error Leads To Four-Run Seventh As Reds Blank Yanks". WPXI.com. The Sports Network. June 21, 2008. Archived from the original on November 8, 2011.
- ^ "This Week at Citizens Bank Park (August 28 - September 3)" (Press release). Philadelphia Phillies. August 27, 2009. Archived from the original on November 8, 2011.
- ^ Leach, Matthew (September 17, 2010). "Freese expects to return by spring". stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com (MLB Advanced Media). Archived from the original on November 8, 2011.
2013 Babe Ruth Birthplace Foundation Community Service Award winner O.J. Brigance on ESPN
A touching story about Baltimore Ravens' O.J. Brigance,h is battle with ALS, and how he inspires the Super Bowl bound Ravens. O.J. and his wife Chanda will b...
ATL@CIN: Hank Aaron hits homer 714, tying Babe Ruth
4/4/74: On Opening Day, Hank Aaron hits his 714th Major League home run, tying Babe Ruth for most home runs in Major League history Check out http://MLB.com/...
RECORD BREAKING Home Run!
GET OUR AWESOME NEW POSTER! http://bit.ly/13GPNM4 MAKE YOUR FRIENDS THINK YOU'RE SMART! http://bit.ly/1eVmyLe October 1st in History Roger Maris breaks Babe ...
Bonds ties Ruth with his 714th homer
5/20/06: Barry Bonds ties Babe Ruth on the all-time home run list, hitting his 714th career homer Check out http://MLB.com/video for more! About MLB.com: Abo...
First all-star game,Cy Young award is created, Carlton: lefty strikeout king on July 6th
July 6, 1933, the first major league All-Star Game is played at Comiskey Park. Babe Ruth hits a two-run home run to give the American League a 4-2 win over t...
Benches clear after Gomez's solo home run
9/25/13: Carlos Gomez hits a homer off Paul Maholm and benches clear after Gomez exchanges words with Freddie Freeman, Brian McCann and several Braves player...
First Home Run of 2014
Let's Go Mets!
Winter Springs Babe Ruth - Spring 2012 - Rockies vs. Diamondbacks (8-7)
The Colorado Rockies remain undefeated and came back from a 6 run deficit to beat the undefeated Arizona Diamondbacks in the bottom of the 5th inning. The bo...
Mickey Mantle: My "Called Shot" in the 1964 World Series
Mickey Mantle tells the story of how he predicted his game-winning homer in the 1964 World Series that Broke Ruth's Record. Excerpted from the award-winning ...
13 Year Old New York Babe Ruth Tournament
We're sorry, but there's no news about "Babe Ruth Home Run Award" right now.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Babe Ruth Home Run Award with people all over the world in our discussions.