The Babe Ruth Home Run Award[note 1] is an annual award presented to the previous season's leading home run hitter in Major League Baseball (MLB). The award is named after the legendary Babe Ruth, who led the American League in homers 12 times. It was first awarded to Mark McGwire after his record-setting 1998 season. The award is a 21-pound (9.5 kg), 20-inch-high (51 cm) bronze statue of Ruth based on a 1920 photo of him following through on a tremendous swing.
The Babe Ruth Home Run Award was developed by brothers Jim and Brian Sullivan. Jim was the sculptor, while Brian focused on the marketing of the award. The Sullivans originally wanted to create a life-size statue of Ruth as a tourist attraction similar to the Michael Jordan statue. Unable to secure a sponsor, they created the award to honor Ruth. The trophy was estimated to cost around $4,000 as of 2006, and it is funded by the Sullivans and given on behalf of their company, Sullivan Artworks based in Weymouth, Massachusetts. MLB was not interested in sponsoring the award; the American League already honored its home run champion with a nameless award, and the National League offered the Mel Ott Award. Both the awards received little publicity. The Babe Ruth Home Run Award is usually presented to the recipient by Ruth's daughter, Julia Ruth Stevens, or her son, Tom Stevens.
List of winners
- ^ Some sources refer to it as the Babe Ruth Award, not to be confused with the Major League Baseball postseason award also named the Babe Ruth Award.
- ^ a b Syken, Bill (May 9, 2006). "Conspicuous absence". SI.com (Time Inc). Archived from the original on November 8, 2011.
- ^ a b Morrissey, Michael (June 6, 2004). "Hospital ward in Bronx". New York Post. p. 50. Retrieved November 8, 2011.
Before the game, Rodriguez received the Babe Ruth Award (for most homers in the majors last season) from Ruth's daughter and grandson.(subscription required)
- ^ Lelinwalla, Mark (June 21, 2008). "A-Rod gets award from Babe Ruth's family at Stadium". Daily News. Archived from the original on November 8, 2011.
- ^ a b c d e f At the following webpage, scroll down to "The Babe Ruth Homerun Award" (including photograph of the award trophy and list of recipients through the 2007 season). "06 Fan Stories: Ultimate Babe Ruth Fans". BabeRuthCentral.com. Babe Ruth Central. Archived from the original on November 8, 2011.
- ^ a b Adams, Steve (May 1, 1999). "South Shore brothers honor Babe Ruth". SouthCoastToday.com. Patriot Ledger News Service. Archived from the original on November 9, 2011.
- ^ a b c d Harber, Paul (July 22, 2001). "A statue fit for a home run king". The Boston Globe. Retrieved November 8, 2011.
Brian Sullivan of Weymouth and Jim Sullivan of Braintree were in fine company last weekend.(subscription required)
- ^ a b Shlimbaum, Gus (July 4, 2008). "A-Rod receives third Babe Ruth Award". The Patriot Ledger. Archived from the original on November 9, 2011.
- ^ a b MacMullan, Jackie (October 17, 2002). "A bronze homage to Babe". The Boston Globe. p. E3. Retrieved November 8, 2011.
By 2001, they were paying their own way to present Sammy Sosa with his Babe Ruth Award.(subscription required)
- ^ Wedge, Dave (October 25, 2009). "Yes we can... borrow slogans". Boston Herald. Archived from the original on October 29, 2009.
The award is usually given by Ruth’s grandson or daughter.
- ^ Logan, Bob (July 16, 2001). "Could McGriff be in Baylor's lineup tonight?". Daily Herald. p. section 2, page 3.
Stephens also presented Sosa with the Babe Ruth Home Run Award for leading both leagues with 50 homers last season.
- ^ "Yearly League Leaders & Records for Home Runs". baseball-reference.com. Sports Reference. Retrieved November 9, 2011.
- ^ Sanchez, Jesse (May 23, 2003). "Notes: Strength in the message". MLB.com (MLB Advanced Media). Archived from the original on November 8, 2011.
- ^ "Barry mows 'em down". The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. July 9, 2006. p. B4. Retrieved May 21, 2013.
Before Saturday's game, Jones received the Babe Ruth Award for leading the major with 51 homers in 2005.(subscription required)
- ^ "Giese Error Leads To Four-Run Seventh As Reds Blank Yanks". WPXI.com. The Sports Network. June 21, 2008. Archived from the original on November 8, 2011.
- ^ "This Week at Citizens Bank Park (August 28 - September 3)" (Press release). Philadelphia Phillies. August 27, 2009. Archived from the original on November 8, 2011.
- ^ Leach, Matthew (September 17, 2010). "Freese expects to return by spring". stlouis.cardinals.mlb.com (MLB Advanced Media). Archived from the original on November 8, 2011.
Babe Ruth 60th Homerun - 1927
Homerun in 1927.
ATL@CIN: Hank Aaron hits homer 714, tying Babe Ruth
4/4/74: On Opening Day, Hank Aaron hits his 714th Major League home run, tying Babe Ruth for most home runs in Major League history Check out http://MLB.com/video for more! About MLB.com:...
Scully calls Aaron's historic 715th home run
4/8/74: Vin Scully calls Hank Aaron's milestone home run as he passes Babe Ruth for the most career home runs Check out http://m.mlb.com/video for our full archive of videos, and subscribe...
Bonds ties Ruth with his 714th homer
5/20/06: Barry Bonds ties Babe Ruth on the all-time home run list, hitting his 714th career homer Check out http://MLB.com/video for more! About MLB.com: About MLB.com: Baseball Commissioner...
Maris hits his 60th home run of 1961
9/26/61: Roger Maris launches his 60th home run of the 1961 season, tying Babe Ruth for most homers ever hit in one season Check out http://m.mlb.com/video for our full archive of videos,...
Williams ready for Babe Ruth impersonation
8/21/14: After making a promise to his team, Nationals manager Matt Williams talks about when he will do his Babe Ruth impersonation Check out http://m.mlb.com/video for our full archive of...
Bonds hits his 715th career homer
5/28/06: Barry Bonds hits the 715th homer of his career, passing Babe Ruth and moving to second on the all-time home run list Check out http://MLB.com/video for more! About MLB.com: About...
The first all-star game is played - Babe Ruth hits first All Star Homerun
More information about players and events in this video: 1933 All Star Game - http://www.thebaseballpage.com/history/1933-all-star-game Babe Ruth ...
Nick Tedesco NY High School Home Run Derby International Power Showcase HR Derby Miami Marlins
Nick Tedesco - Class of 2015 - Participated in the 8th Annual International 2014 Underclassman Power Showcase High School Home Run Derby representing NY @ the Miami Marlins Ballpark (Marlins ...
First all-star game,Cy Young award is created, Carlton: lefty strikeout king on July 6th
July 6, 1933, the first major league All-Star Game is played at Comiskey Park. Babe Ruth hits a two-run home run to give the American League a 4-2 win over the National League. Connie Mack...
New York Daily News
Sat, 21 Jun 2008 23:50:31 -0700
Ruth's daughter, Julia Ruth Stevens, grandson Tom Stevens and two great grandchildren, Brent and Amanda Stevens, then presented Alex Rodriguez with the 2007 Babe Ruth Home Run Award, which is given annually to the major league leader in homers ...
Wed, 17 Jul 2013 08:03:35 -0700
VALPRAISO BULLDOGS: The Valparaiso Bulldog 12-and-under baseball team finished the 2013 season with a record of 18-7. Team members include (front row, from left) Tanner Woita, Luke Sousek, Cody Krafka, Josh Schultz, Gavin McCoy, (back row) ...
Mon, 07 Jul 2014 22:37:30 -0700
... l'orgoglio del nonno” ha affermato il giorno della sua laurea, nel 1974. Un testimonial esclusivo per la festa del baseball italiano. In copertina: Stevens, secondo da destra, premia Alex Rodriguez insieme alla madre con il Babe Ruth Home Run Award ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
Digplanet also receives support from Searchlight Group.