In 2012, Intel expanded the Atom processor family with a new system on chip (SoC) platform designed for smartphones and tablets. It is a continuation of the partnership announced by Intel and Google on 13 September 2011, to provide support for the Android operating system on Intel x86 processors.
Atom competes with existing SoCs developed for the smartphone and tablet market from companies like Texas instruments, Nvidia, Qualcomm and Samsung. Unlike these companies, which use ARM-based CPUs designed from the beginning to consume very low power, Intel has adapted the x86 based Atom line CPU developed for low power usage in netbooks, to even lower power usage.
In April 2012, several manufacturers have released Intel Atom-based phones; as a result of testing industry reviewers came to conclusion that Atom SoC-based smartphones can compete both power-wise and performance-wise with currently dominating ARM-based smartphones.
List of systems 
|Model number (codename)||Semiconductor technology||CPU instruction set||CPU||CPU cache||GPU||Memory technology||Availability||Utilizing devices|
|Atom Z2420 (Lexington)||32 nm High-k/metal gate||x86||1.2 GHz single-core Saltwell with HT||L1: 32kB Instruction + 24kB Data, L2: 512kB||PowerVR SGX 540||January 25, 2013|
|Atom Z2460 (platform Medfield)||32 nm High-k/metal gate||x86||1.6 GHz single-core Saltwell with HT||L1: 32kB Instruction + 24kB Data, L2: 512kB||PowerVR SGX 540 @ 400 MHz||32-bit Dual-channel 400 MHz LPDDR2-800 (6.4 GB/sec)||Q2 2012|
|Atom Z2480 (platform Medfield)||32 nm High-k/metal gate||x86||2 GHz single-core Saltwell with HT||L1: 32kB Instruction + 24kB Data, L2: 512kB||PowerVR SGX 540 @ 400 MHz||32-bit Dual-channel 400 MHz LPDDR2-800 (6.4 GB/sec)||2012||
Motorola RAZR i, XOLO X1000
|Atom Z2760 (Cloverview, platform Clover Trail||32 nm High-k/metal gate||x86||1.8 GHz dual-core Saltwell with HT||L1: 32kB Instruction + 24kB Data, L2: 512kB (per core)||PowerVR SGX 545 @ 533 MHz||32-bit Dual-channel 400 MHz LPDDR2-800 (6.4 GB/sec)||Q4 2012||
Asus VivoTab, Asus VivoTab Smart, HP Envy x2, HP ElitePad 900, Dell Latitude 10 Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2, Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx Samsung Series 5 Slate (Samsung ATIV Smart PC), Acer Iconia W510 ZTE V98, Acer W3-810
|Atom Z2520 (Clover Trail+)||32 nm High-k/metal gate||x86||1.2 GHz dual-core Saltwell with HT||L1: 32kB Instruction + 24kB Data, L2: 512kB (per core)||PowerVR SGX 544 MP2 @ 300 MHz ||32-bit Dual-channel 533 MHz LPDDR2-1066 (8.5 GB/sec)||2013|
|Atom Z2560 (Clover Trail+)||32 nm High-k/metal gate||x86||1.6 GHz dual-core Saltwell with HT||L1: 32kB Instruction + 24kB Data, L2: 512kB (per core)||PowerVR SGX 544 MP2 @ 400 MHz ||32-bit Dual-channel 533 MHz LPDDR2-1066 (8.5 GB/sec)||2013|
|Atom Z2580 (Clover Trail+)||32 nm High-k/metal gate||x86||2 GHz dual-core Saltwell with HT||L1: 32kB Instruction + 24kB Data, L2: 512kB (per core)||PowerVR SGX 544 MP2 @ 533 MHz ||32-bit Dual-channel 533 MHz LPDDR2-1066 (8.5 GB/sec)||2013|
|(Bay Trail)||22 nm||x86-64||2.1 GHz Quad-core (without HT), Silvermont out of order cores||Intel Gen 7 (Ivy Bridge GPU architecture, DX11, up to 3X+ faster||64-bit Dual-channel 533MHz LPDDR3-1066 (17 GB/sec)||Q3 2013|
Testing of Atom phones 
In April 2012, Lava Xolo X900 phone has been released as a first Intel Medfield phone. Industry reviews have claimed that Lava Xolo X900 proves that the statement "Intel can't make smartphones" is wrong, and that "Intel is going to power smartphones, and it’s going to be competitive in that space." It has also been claimed that power-wise Intel Medfield-based smartphones have been shown to be competitive with ARM-based ones: "The x86 power myth is finally busted. [...] If you've been expecting the first x86 smartphone to end up at the bottom of every battery life chart, you'll be sorely disappointed." Z2760 scored a 679 in the Passmark benchmark test.
Operating system support on Cloverview 
While Penwell SoC supports, in addition to Microsoft Windows, both Linux and Android operating systems, Intel has announced that it won't provide support for Linux on Cloverview family of Atom systems-on-a-chip. This announcement has caused strong negative reaction from open source proponents. A few days later Intel issued a statement saying that it has “plans for another version of this platform directed at Linux/Android"
New power states on Cloverview 
Z2760 Cloverview has introduced two new power states: S0i1 and S0i3. The S0i1 state is intended to be used when the display is on but the user does not actively interact with the device; it consumes power in mW range, and can be entered/left in microseconds. The S0i3 state is intended to be used when the device display is off; it consumes power in microWatt range, and can be entered/left in milliseconds. As a result, Intel claims longer standby battery life (up to three weeks for a typical tablet).
It has been reported that Silvermont-based Atom SoCs will be named Valleyview, will be available in single-, dual- and quad-core versions, and will include Intel's 7th generation GPU, allowing for 4-7× improvement over existing Atom GPUs.
Similar platforms 
- Ax by Apple
- Exynos by Samsung
- NovaThor by ST-Ericsson
- OMAP by Texas Instruments
- Snapdragon by Qualcomm
- Tegra by Nvidia
See also 
- Mobile Internet device
- List of Intel Atom microprocessors
- Bonnell and Saltwell microarchitectures
- MIPS architecture
- Intel Raises Bar on Smartphones, Tablets and Ultrabook™ Devices
- Antara News : Intel, Google announce partnership for Android smartphones
- Sadauskas, Andrew (30 April 2012). "Intel battles ARM with new handset". smartcompany.com.au. Retrieved 29 May 2012.
- Intel unveils new 'Lexington' Z2420 mobile Atom for smartphones in developing nations | The Verge
- SafaricomLtd Twitter Twitter
-  Official Xolo Site
- Safaricom, Intel Introduce Yolo™, Africa's First Smartphone with Intel Inside®. Intel Newsroom
- , Thailand's first Intel Atom-based smartphone
- , Asus Fonepad officially announced at MWC 2013
- , First smartphone in the Middle East and North Africa region with Intel Inside®
- Intel-inside Lenovo K800 phone coming next week. CNET
- XOLO X900 specifications
- Intel-based MegaFon Mint arrives on Russia's second largest carrier, swiftly benchmarked. PhoneArena
- ZTE Grand X IN. CNET
- . Ramos Offical Webpage
- , ASUS Fonepad gets a spec boost: 1.6GHz Intel processor, 32GB storage
- AnandTech - Intel Details Atom Z2760: Clovertrail for Windows 8 Tablets
- ASUS Vivo Tab Hands-On. Thoughts about the Atom-based Options. Ultrabook News
- Asus VivoTab Smart hands-on
- Asus announces sub-$500 Windows 8 tablet - Computerworld
- Intel sets Windows 8 tablet event with HP, *Samsung, others. cnet
- HP ENVY x2 Specifications – Windows 8 Tablet PC | HP® Official Site
- HP ElitePad Specs | Windows 8 Tablet | HP® Official Site
- Latitude 10 Windows 8 Tablet Details — Touch Screen | Dell
- Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 with Cover Trail & Windows 8 Hands On. MobileGeeks
- IdeaTab Lynx Specs & Latest News | Lenovo | The Verge
- Samsung Reveals Additional Details on Series 5 and 7 Slates and Ultrabooks. AnandTech
- Samsung announces Series 5 and Series 7 Windows 8 tablets with S Pen apps, optional keyboards
- Samsung calling its dockable Windows 8 tablets ATIV Smart PC and Smart PC Pro outside the US
- Acer shares Windows 8 tablet pricing. TechJungle
- ZTE shows off new V98 Windows 8 slate, we go hands-on
- Lenovo K900: 5.5" 1080p screen, 13MP camera and dual-core Atom - GSMArena.com news
- Live from Intel's CES 2013 press conference!
- Leaked Slides Reveal Details on Intel Atom 'Bay Trail-T' Platform | techPowerUp
- Lava Xolo X900 Review - The First Intel Medfield Phone. AnandTech
- Going Xolo: Intel’s first x86 Medfield smartphone reviewed. ExtremeTech
- Atom Z2760 Benchmark. Mobilityupdate
- IDF: Intel says Clover Trail will not work with Linux. TheInquirer
- Intel declares Clover Trail Atom processor a "no Linux" zone. ArsTechnica
- Intel: ‘Clover Trail’ Atom Chips Will Support Linux, Android. TechWeek europe
- Intel reverses course, bringing Android to Clover Trail chips for tablets. PC Advisor
- Meet Clover Trail, Intel's chip for mid-range Windows 8 tablets and hybrids. PC World
- Updated: Intel rewrites Atom road map. EETimes
- Intel quad-core SoC processors detailed in leaked documents. ZDNet
- Details on Intel's Valleyview SoC Emerge: 22nm Atom with Ivy Bridge Graphics. AnandTech
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.