Atlanta's second Union Station was built in 1871 on the site of the 1853 station, burned in the Battle of Atlanta. It was built in Second Empire style, designed by architect Max Corput. It was located at what is now Wall Street between Pryor Street and Central Avenue.
It was replaced by the 1930 Union Station three blocks northwest and one block southwest.
As of 2011, a parking structure is located on the site of the 1853 and 1871 stations.
- Rail Georgia
- Jim Cox, Rails Across Dixie: A History of Passenger Trains in the American South, p.327
- Wilber W. Caldwell, The courthouse and the depot: the architecture of hope in an age of despair, p.279
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.