The Appalachian League is a Rookie-class minor league that began play in 1937 with one year of inactivity in 1956. From 1937 to 1962, it was a Class D League. Teams are located in the Appalachian regions of Virginia, North Carolina, West Virginia and Tennessee. The league's season starts in June, after major league teams have signed players that they selected in the annual amateur draft, and ends in September.
Earlier incarnations of the league operated, more centrally around Tennessee, from 1911 to 1914 and 1921 to 1925 at the Class D level.
Current teams 
||Bluefield Blue Jays
||Toronto Blue Jays
||Bluefield, West Virginia and
||Kansas City Royals
||Burlington, North Carolina
||Burlington Athletic Stadium
||American Legion Field
||Tampa Bay Rays
||Princeton, West Virginia
||H. P. Hunnicutt Field
||Bristol White Sox
||Chicago White Sox
||Bryce Cox Field at Devault Memorial Stadium
||Joe O'Brien Field
|Johnson City Cardinals
||St. Louis Cardinals
||Johnson City, Tennessee
||Howard Johnson Field
||New York Mets
||Hunter Wright Stadium
Current team rosters 
Complete team list (1937-55, 1956-present) 
- Bluefield Blue Jays (Bluefield Blue-Grays in 1946-55; as Bluefield Dodgers in 1957; 1957-2010 as Bluefield Orioles)
- Bristol Twins (1940-55)
- Bristol White Sox (1995-present, as Bristol Tigers from 1969-94)
- Burlington Royals (1969-84, 1986-present, as Pulaski Phillies in 1969-77; as Paintsville Highlanders in 1978; as Paintsville Yankees in 1979-82; as Paintsville Brewers in 1983-84; suspended operations in 1985; as Burlington Indians in 1986-2006)
- Covington Astros (1965-76, as Harlan Red Sox in 1965; as Covington Red Sox in 1966)
- Danville Braves (1982-present, as Pulaski Braves in 1982-92)
- Elizabethton Twins (1969, 1971-present, as Wytheville Senators in 1969; suspended operations in 1970; as Wytheville Braves in 1971-73)
- Erwin Mountaineers (1940)
- Greeneville Burley Cubs (1938-42)
- Greeneville Astros (1988-present, as Martinsville Phillies in 1988-98; as Martinsville Astros 1999-2003)
- Johnson City Cardinals (1937-55, 1957-61, as Johnson City Soldiers in 1937-38; as Johnson City Cardinals in 1939-55; as Johnson City Phillies from 1957-60)
- Johnson City Cardinals (1961-present, as Harlan Smokies in 1961-62; as Harlan Yankees in 1963; as Johnson City Yankees in 1964-74)
- Kingsport Pirates (1955, 1957, 1959-63, as Kingsport Cherokees in 1955; as Kingsport Orioles in 1957; suspended operations in 1958; as Kingsport Senators in 1959)
- Kingsport Mets (1969-82, 1984-present, as Kingsport Royals in 1969-73; as Kingsport Braves in 1974-79; suspended operations in 1983)
- Lynchburg Senators (1959)
- Marion A's (1946-55, as Welch Miners in 1946-55; moved to Marion during 1955 season)
- Marion Mets (1965-76)
- Martinsville Phillies (1988-1998)
- Middlesboro Cubsox (1961-63, as Middlesboro Senators in 1961-62)
- Morristown Cubs (1937-55, 1957-60, as Elizabethton Betsy Red Sox in 1937-42; as Erwin Aces in 1943; as Erwin Cubs in 1944; as Elizabethton Betsy Cubs in 1945-48; as Elizabethton Betsy Local in 1949-50; as Elizabethton Phils in 1951; as Pulaski Phillies in 1952-55; as Pulaski Cubs in 1957-58)
- New River Rebels (1946-50)
- Newport Canners (1937-42)
- Pennington Gap Miners (1937-40, as Pennington Gap Lee Bears in 1937-38; as Pennington Gap Bears in 1939)
- Princeton Rays (1988-present, as Princeton Pirates in 1988-89; as Princeton Patriots in 1990; as Princeton Reds in 1991-96, as Princeton Devil Rays in 1997-2008)
- Pulaski Counts (1946-50)
- Pulaski Mariners (1982-95, 1997-2006, 2008-present as Pikeville Brewers in 1982; as Pikeville Cubs in 1983-84; as Wytheville Cubs 1985-89; as Huntington Cubs in 1990-94; as River City Rumblers in 1995; suspended operations in 1996; as Pulaski Rangers in 1997-2002; as Pulaski Blue Jays in 2003-2006; suspended operations in 2007)
- Salem Rebels (1955, 1957-67)
- Wytheville Reds (1938-55, 1957-65, 1967, as Kingsport Cherokees in 1938-41; as Kingsport Dodgers in 1942; as Kingsport Cherokees in 1943-52; as Wytheville Statesmen in 1953-55; as Wytheville Cardinals in 1957-59; as Wytheville Senators in 1960; as Wytheville Twins in 1961-63; as Wytheville A's in 1964; as Wytheville Senators in 1965; suspended operations in 1966)
Complete team list (1921-25) 
Complete team list (1911-14) 
See also 
External links 
Summer Baseball Wrap-Up, Part 2
Bo Reeder recorded a nation-best 18 saves as a junior in 2011, electing to go pro after a 36th-round selection by the Seattle Mariners. Reeder played his roo...
George Mieses, RHP, Pulaski Mariners
Righthander George Mieses pitching for the rookie-level Pulaski Mariners in the Appalachian League. The footage is from the Aug. 6 game vs. the Burlington Ro...
Ramon Morla, 3B, Pulaski Mariners
Pulaski Mariners third baseman Ramon Morla taking batting practice and hitting a single in an Appalachian League game against the Burlington Royals on July 7...
Final Out in last home game of Danville Braves 2008 Season
August 23, 2008 Elizabethton Twins 1 Danville Braves 2 D-Braves are the Appalachian League Rookie Class team of the Atlanta Braves organization. This was the...
Richard Vargas, RHP, Pulaski Mariners
Righthander Richard Vargas pitching for the rookie-level Pulaski Mariners in the Appalachian League. The footage is from the Aug. 6 game vs. the Burlington R...
Exclusive Interview Manager Johnny Rodriguez
This week we have a very special interview with Quad Cities River Bandits Manager Johnny Rodriguez. Rodriguez is in his second year with the St. Louis Cardin...
Princeton Rays 2009 TV promotional commercial
This is a television commercial created for the Princeton Rays prior to the 2009 Appalachian League season by WVVA-TV6 (NBC affiliate in Bluefield,WV). Our t...
Keith Brake, Sports Play-by-Play Aircheck
An aircheck built from my work with the Johnson City Cardinals in the Appalachian League. Contact Info: email@example.com Website: keithbrake.weebly.com.
#13 Jamaal Trice Appalachian State Basketball Highlights
13 Jamaal Trice Highlights at Appalachian State from 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 seasons.
League of Legends - Best Pantheon Ult Ever
I have no idea why it says two of us disconnected because we didn't. It is a bug I am having with LOLReplay right now. Any time a message like turret destroy...
Thu, 23 May 2013 16:23:14 -0700
He spent the rest of that summer in the Appalachian League, but wore down late in the season, admittedly not quite in good enough shape to handle the long grind. The next spring, he was still a member of the Braves organization, but there wasn't a spot ...
Sat, 18 May 2013 18:39:43 -0700
When healthy, Stanley has been a difference maker; named to all-star teams in the short-season Appalachian League in 2010 and Midwest League in 2011, while winning league championships in both. However, he was promoted last week despite only ...
The Cardinal Nation (subscription)
Tue, 21 May 2013 21:47:45 -0700
The 23-year-old right-hander fanned 57 and walked just nine in 51 1/3 Appalachian League innings, which placed him in the top 10 in the system in both strikeout rate and strikeout-to-walk ratio. Like Thomas, Lee was signed as a non-drafted free agent ...
Minor League Ball (blog)
Thu, 16 May 2013 11:35:17 -0700
I wasn't surprised to see that he's hitting just .095/.150/.122 in 21 games and he didn't look anything at all like a guy who could put up the numbers he did in the Appalachian League. He was sent back to extended spring training a couple of days ago.
Wed, 22 May 2013 06:54:50 -0700
He has written about baseball online in a variety of capacities since 2008, mostly focusing on scouting (Carolina League, South Atlantic League, and Appalachian League) and sabermetrics. SamYam's debut piece is the current cover story and he will write ...
The Crawfish Boxes
Mon, 20 May 2013 18:37:26 -0700
Since McCullers fell short of qualifying based on his 2012 batters faced total, his 2012 Appalachian League stats were combined with his 2013 Midwest League stats to date and for the sake of what follows I will treat that pooled sample of data as if it ...
Press of Atlantic City
Wed, 22 May 2013 21:49:05 -0700
After signing with the Braves in 2011, he was 0-1 with a 5.08 ERA with Danville in the Appalachian League. Last year, he spent time with the Braves' Gulf Coast League team in Orlando and Rome (Ga.) in the South Atlantic League and was a combined 6-10.
Minor League Ball (blog)
Wed, 15 May 2013 14:45:59 -0700
He spent two years in the Appalachian League with mixed results but is performing well so far this year in the Midwest League, hitting .291/.413/.427 through 32 games, with 24 walks and 32 strikeouts in 117 at-bats. Goodrum is a switch-hitter listed at ...
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Appalachian League with people all over the world in our discussions.