July 28, 1955 |
|Alma mater||University of Pretoria|
|Spouse(s)||Sol Kerzner (1980-1985)
Phillip Tucker (1989-1994)
Anneline Kriel is a South African model and actress. She became 1974's Miss World at age 19, representing South Africa, after UK's Helen Morgan had resigned only four days after her victory. She became the second woman from her country to hold the title. The pageant was held in London, United Kingdom. Thereafter she became an ambassador for several beauty brands, completing public relations activities.
Kriel was only 19 years old when she became Miss World in 1974, this marked a tumultous period in South Africa's history, as the international boycott of South Africa continued to take pace. As a result, Kriel sometimes caught the ire of international media that depicted her as a face of the apartheid state. In support of the boycott, the US and Australia refused to accept her as part of the obligatory world tour of a Miss World. Singer Shirley Bassey also protested against her crowning. However, the US later relented and Kriel made television appearances there. In South Africa, her crowning received a rapturous response from the public and local media.
In March 1976, Kriel was embroiled in a scandal over nude photographs that were leaked and appeared in the media and on the front page of the Sunday Times. Roy Hilligenn, Mr. America of 1951 took the photographs and sold them to a British newspaper for R100 000. The photos revealed Kriel on vacation sunbathing nude and the nudism of those around her such as her boyfriend, Richard Loring and Hilligenn and his family.
She married the entertainment and casino magnate, Sol Kerzner in 1980 before divorcing five years later. She converted to Judaism in Switzerland and married the millionaire horsebreeder, the late Phil Tucker at his family's Israel mansion in 1989. They also had two daughters together, Tayla and Whitney. Kriel filed for divorce in 1994 and in 2000 was locked in a custody battle with Tucker. Kriel later married Peter Bacon, a CEO and former protégé of Kerzner. In 1997, Kriel and Kerzner sought an interdict against Jonathan Ball Publishers Ltd. and Allan Breenblo over Breenblo's Kerzner Unauthorised, an unauthorised biography of Kerzner. They claimed that the content would infringe on their reputations. In 2007, Kriel, a Goldin family friend, attended the murder trials of actor Brett Goldin and fashion designer, Richard Bloom.
As a student, she lived in Huis Asterhof, Vergeet-my-nie back then, whilst studying drama at the University of Pretoria.
|1978||Someone Like You|
|1981||Kill and Kill Again||Kandy Kane|
|1985||Van der Merwe PI|
|1990||Reason to Die||Lena|
- Motel View Victoria University Press. 1992. pp. 60
- Allan, Jani (1980s). Face Value. Longstreet.
- A Race Apart: the beauty queens of the apartheid era The Times. 25 June 2010
- South Africa's Vinyl Music History Rock.co.za. Retrieved on 15 September 2012
- Anneline Kriel - He Took Off my Romeos Soundcloud. Retrieved on 15 September 2012
- A Century of Sundays: 100 Years of Breaking News in the Sunday Times, 1906-2006 2006. pp. 229
- The Sun king Daily Telegraph. 18 July 2004
- The Adventures of Rabbi Arieh: A Destined Mission Around the World iUniverse. 2009. pp. 187
- Tucker's funeral an understated affair IOL. 30 May 2008
- Anneline in court in custody battle IOL. 11 May 2000
- Peter Bacon: He's come from the casinos of Sun City to play one-armed bandits in Britain The Independent. 19 September 2004
- South African High Court prohibits the publication of Kerzner Unauthorised Retrieved on 14 September 2012
- Goldin, Bloom murder trial postponed to May Mail & Guardian. 5 March 2007
- VAN DER MERWE P.I. MNET. Retrieved on 15 September 2012
|Awards and achievements|