Amorite is an early Northwest Semitic language, spoken by the Amorite tribes prominent in ancient Near Eastern history. It is known exclusively from non-Akkadian proper names recorded by Akkadian scribes during periods of Amorite rule in Babylonia (end of the 3rd and beginning of the 2nd millennium), notably from Mari, and to a lesser extent Alalakh, Tell Harmal, and Khafajah. Occasionally such names are also found in early Egyptian texts; and one place-name — "Sənīr" (שְׂנִיר) for Mount Hermon — is known from the Bible (Deut. 3:9), and oddly enough may be Indo-European in origin (possibly due to Hittite influence). Notable characteristics include:
- The usual Northwest Semitic imperfective-perfective distinction is found — e.g. Yantin-Dagan, 'Dagon gives' (ntn); Raṣa-Dagan, 'Dagon was pleased' (rṣy). It included a 3rd-person suffix -a (unlike Akkadian or Hebrew), and an imperfect vowel -a-, as in Arabic rather than the Hebrew and Aramaic -i-.
- There was a verb form with a geminate second consonant — e.g. Yabanni-Il, 'God creates' (root bny).
- In several cases where Akkadian has š, Amorite, like Hebrew and Arabic, has h, thus hu 'his', -haa 'her', causative h- or ʼ- (I. Gelb 1958).
- The 1st-person perfect is in -ti (singular), -nu (plural), as in the Canaanite languages.
- D. Cohen, Les langues chamito-semitiques, CNRS: Paris 1985.
- I. Gelb, "La lingua degli amoriti", Academia Nazionale dei Lincei. Rendiconti 1958, no. 8, 13, pp. 143–163.
- H. B. Huffmon. Amorite Personal Names in the Mari Texts. A Structural and Lexical Study, Baltimore 1965.
- Remo Mugnaioni. "Notes pour servir d’approche à l’amorrite" Travaux 16 – La sémitologie aujourd’hui, Cercle de Linguistique d’Aix-en-Provence, Centre des sciences du langage, Aix-en-Provence 2000, p. 57-65.
- M. P. Streck, Das amurritische Onomastikon der altbabylonischen Zeit. Band 1: Die Amurriter, Die onomastische Forschung, Orthographie und Phonologie, Nominalmorphologie. Alter Orient und Altes Testament Band 271/1, Münster 2000.
American Amorite: the other side of the Story
the missing link,who are the Amorites?
the iraqi professor Khaz'al Majeedi in his book"The Amorites Beliefs" has an interesting theory about the Amorites,canaanites,and the aramean, and i will com...
CANAANITES / AMORITES In ANCIENT AMERICA - Lost Secrets of Ancient America Vol. #1 FREE CLIP
This is used under FAIR USE*** Here is a lengthy snippet from "Lost Secrets of Ancient America Vol. #1." This first volume presentation alone is over 3 an...
Homes for Sale - 0000 Amorite Ct Ct 0570 - Spring Hill, FL 34608 - Reba Merkle
Land Reba Merkle CENTURY 21 Alliance Realty http://www.century21.com/property/0000--Amorite-Ct-Ct-0570-Spring-Hill-FL-34608-37188744.
The Assyrian Empire [DOCUMENTARY]
Assyria was a major Semitic kingdom or empire of the Ancient Near East, existing in various forms during a period of approximately nineteen centuries from ci...
Faces of Ancient Middle East Part 5 (Ancient Semites)
Ugarit Ras Shamra (sometimes written "Ras Shamrah"; Arabic: رأس شمرة, literally "Cape Fennel") lies on the Mediterranean coast, some 11 kilometres north of L...
CHOOSE THIS DAY WHOM YOU WILL SERVE
https://twitter.com/ProjectNarowRoa https://facebook.com/walkin.zeal Email: WALKinZEAL@Yahoo.com Project Narrow Road is a mininstry to preach the Gospel Of Y...
Arabs Semites The Arabian Peninsula
An informational video defining the Arabian Peninsula semites semite Arab Arabic Arabian language semitic Arab Arabian Arabia Akkadian Amorite Amarean Amarae...
Ancient Babylon Ⓒ [HD]
Babylon (Arabic: بابل, Babil; Akkadian: Bābili(m) Sumerian logogram: KÁ.DINGIR.RAKI Hebrew: בבל, Bābel; Greek: Βαβυλών, Babylōn) was an Akkadian city-state (...
What to do to inherit the promise of God? No.1, የተስፋ ቃል ለመውረስ ምን እናድርግ? P Gugssa Biru, AWC GB75
Joshua 5:1-15 (NIV) 1 Now when all the Amorite kings west of the Jordan and all the Canaanite kings along the coast heard how the LORD had dried up the Jorda...
We're sorry, but there's no news about "Amorite language" right now.
Oops, we seem to be having trouble contacting Twitter
You can talk about Amorite language with people all over the world in our discussions.