Based in Saint Paul, Minnesota, the American Public Media Group, formerly the Minnesota Communications Group, is the non-profit parent organization of Minnesota Public Radio and its distribution arm, American Public Media. It also owns Southern California Public Radio. Jon McTaggart is president.
From 2008 to 2015, APMG owned and operated the Classical South Florida network of stations, flagshipped by WKCP 89.7 FM in Miami; this station group was sold to Educational Media Foundation in July 2015, with all three of its stations becoming affiliates of the K-Love network.
- Minnesota Public Radio (MPR), a public radio network in Minnesota
- American Public Media (APM), the distribution arm of Minnesota Public Radio that produces shows like On Being and Marketplace, in addition to distributing A Prairie Home Companion.
- Southern California Public Radio (SCPR), a public radio network in Pasadena, California
- Fitzgerald Theater
- Pretty Good Goods Catalog, an online store
- Public Radio Market, an Amazon.com affiliate
American Public Media Group receives substantial financial support from the Lumina Foundation ($500,000) to provide coverage of education-related issues that are of interest to the Lumina Foundation and its frequent partner in education policy initiatives, the Gates Foundation. Critics have suggested that this funding may lead to biased coverage and have noted the Lumina Foundation's connections to the private student loan company Sallie Mae. Lumina-funding of the American Public Media Group is not always disclosed in education press coverage or in coverage of white papers, articles, or editorials by other Lumina or Gates Foundation grantees, such as the New America Foundation.
Money from operating the Pretty Good Goods Catalog and Public Radio Market appears to feed into Minnesota Public Radio.
Critics have complained that Minnesota Public Radio promotes content that is available through its affiliated organizations at the expense of others, though the business model has proved to work well and elements of it are being duplicated by other public radio organizations around the country.
- "American Public Media Group".
- "Staff Officers". American Public Media Group.
- Classical South Florida Flips to K-Love
- Jennifer Ruark, "To Shape the National Conversation, Gates and Lumina Support Journalism," The Chronicle of Higher Education, July 14, 2013
- Ben Grose, Strategic Philanthropy Comes to Higher Education, The Chronicle of Higher Education, July 14, 2013
- Molly-Hensley Clancy & Katie J.M. Baker, How A Private Foundation With Student Loan Ties Became A Force In Higher Education, BuzzFeed, May 22, 2014
- Jennifer Ruark, "In the Foundation 'Echo Chamber'", The Chronicle of Higher Education, July 14, 2013
This page uses Creative Commons Licensed content from Wikipedia. A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.