|American International University-Bangladesh|
|Motto||Where leaders are created|
|Chancellor||President of Bangladesh|
|Vice-Chancellor||Carmen Z. Lamagna,|
|Academic staff||277 (full-time faculty) as of Spring 2011–2012|
|Students||10,725 as of Spring 2011–2012|
American International University-Bangladesh (AIUB) (Bengali: অ্যামেরিকান ইন্টারন্যাশনাল ইউনিভার্সিটি-বাংলাদেশ) is an accredited private research university located at Banani in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The university is an independent organization with its own Board of Trustees. It offers several degree programs at graduate and undergraduate level from its four faculties.
It was established in 1994
- Administration Building is at .
- Campus 1: Faculty of Business Administration is at .
- Campus 2: Faculty of Engineering and Department of Electrical and Electronic Engineering is at .
- Campus 3: Accounts and Audit Section is at .
- Campus 4: Faculty of Science and Information Technology and the IT Department is at .
- Campus 5: Faculty of Business Administration is at .
- Campus 6: Deans' Office and AQAC is at .
- Campus 7: Department of Math, Department of Basic Sciences and Department of Architecture is at .
Academic bunting and tassel color
|Light blue||Faculty of Science and Information Technology|
|Orange||Faculty of Engineering|
|Green||Faculty of Business Administration|
|Maroon||Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences|
Each applicant has to pass the competitive admission test administered by the university. The admission examination tests each student potential to successfully pursue the undergraduate or graduate degree programs.
The medium of instruction of all academic programs at AIUB is English. Classes are conducted by full participation of students (discussion, question-answer). Design projects and thesis works emphasizes on the ability of the students to analytic, designing and implementation skills of various states of the art technologies in the field of science and engineering.
The academic year of the university incorporates two regular semesters(Spring and Fall) and one short semester(Summer). The duration of each regular semester is 14/16 weeks and the duration of summer semester is 10/12 weeks.
- Spring Semester: January-May
- Summer Semester: May-August
- Fall Semester: September-December
Letter grades indicating the quality of course work completed with their corresponding grade points are shown below
|Letter||Grade Point||Numerical (%)|
This program is open for both incoming and continuing students with at least one year of residency. It covers full or partial tuition fee waiver. Incoming students qualify by passing the competitive examinations while weighted average CGPA for the previous year of 3.75 with no grade lower than B+ and no F, I, W grades. The number of awards is dependent on the slots available. AIUB authority also provide finincial aids for deserving students.
The academic programs gradually develop around the Faculty of Science and Information Technology, Faculty of Engineering, Faculty of Business Administration, and Faculty of Arts & Social Sciences
- Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
- Bachelor of Arts - in
- Media and Mass Communication
- Bachelor of Social Science in Economics
- Masters in Public Health (MPH)
- Masters in Development Studies (MDS)
- Faculty of Business Administration
- Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) - Major in
- Accounting & Finance
- Human Resource Management (HRM)
- International Business (IB)
- Investment Management (IM)
- Tourism & Hospitality Management (THM)
- Management Information System (MIS)
- Operations Management (OM)
- Master of Business Administration - Major in
- Business Economics
- Human Resource Management (HRM)
- Management Information Systems (MIS)
- Operations Management (OM)
- Executive Master of Business Administration (EMBA)
- Faculty of Engineering
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) - in
- Electrical & Electronic Engineering (EEE)
- Computer Engineering (CoE)
- Bachelor of Architecture (BArch)
- Master of Science in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (MEEE)
- Master of Engineering in Telecommunications (MTEL)
- Faculty of Science and Information Technology
- Bachelor of Science (BSc) - in
- Computer Information Systems (CIS)
- Computer Science (CS)
- Computer Science and Engineering (CSE)
- Computer Science and Software Engineering (CSSE)
- Software Engineering (SE)
- Master of Science in Computer Science (MSCS)
AIUB is the first university of the nation to offer the Agribusiness MBA (AgMBA) program. The Master of Engineering in Telecommunications (M.Eng. in Telecommunications) is a joint degree program by the Faculty of Science & IT and Faculty of Engineering. AIUB has been offering the program since spring 2008–09.
Research and Publications
In research arena, AIUB has boldly continued with its academic journals: AIUB Journal of Science and Engineering (AJSE) (ISSN 1608-3679) and AIUB Journal of Business and Economics (AJBE), (ISSN 1683-8742). Since the first publications in 2002 three issues per year are being published regularly. AIUB is also the first institute in Bangladesh to launch an online working paper series named AIUB BUS ECON Working Paper Series. This working paper series is collaborated with RePEC (Research Papers in Economics) to introduce the local researchers with the global research networks. AIUB has launched an online databank, which contains historical financial data of nation's business, stock market, economic and HR data.
The university has the following labs:
- Control system Lab
- Digital Electronics Lab
- Digital signal processing Lab
- Electrical circuits Lab
- Electrical Machines Lab
- Measurement & Instrumentation Lab
- Microcomputer Lab
- Microprocessor Lab
- Microwave engineering Lab
- Motor and Transformer Winding Repair Shop
- PCB Etching Room
- Industrial and Power Electronics Lab
- Telecommunications Lab
- VLSI Lab
- VHDL & Logic Synthesis Lab
- Switch gear
- Project lab
- Cellular Communication Lab
- Power system protection Lab
- Power Electronics Lab
- Physics Lab
- Chemistry Lab
- Language Lab
The library of AIUB is the collection of the knowledge and built up a balanced and rich collection in Business Administration, Science and Technology, Computer, Arts and Social Science. It is an open library system to students of AIUB, which provides rich collection of books including journals, newsletter, thesis works, audio-visual materials and CDs. The total collection of the library is about 50,000 including more than 26,000 books, about 100 journals and other articles, preodicals, CDs, video covering more than 80 academic areas.
The library can accommodate more than 525 students at a time. AIUB library has "Library Management System" the software which has been created by university IT department and now the system is operational.
There are ten terminals through which the students and faculty can search for and locate books that they require. Students ID cards stand as library card. The library is operating on an extensive schedule from 9.00 am to 9.00 pm from Saturday to Thursday, 3:00 pm to 07:00 pm on Friday and 11:00 am to 03:00 pm on Saturday.
Apart from this, the university has established campus library at campus 2 & 7 with seating capacity of 40-45 students. The campus library is established with an intention to extend and diversify the service of the central library. The purpose of the campus library is to provide all kind of necessary services, related to library, to the students of different departments located in the respective campuses. The campus library remains open from 9 am to 5 pm. At each campus library, computer with LMS facility is provided for searching the materials. There is also a person assigned for managing the library operations of each campus library and supervised by the Central Library Librarian.
- Recreational Complex
The university students may use the gymnasium (individual fitness equipment) on a monthly fee basis. The university has a common room equipped with table tennis and carom board facilities.
- Prayer Room
The university has a prayer room in every campus for students seeking spiritual assistance.
The auditorium serves as an activity room for extra curricular activities. It has seating capacity of 210 people. It is used as a venue for seminars meetings also for special classes, Business Presentation and the like. It is equipped with state of the art facilities.
- Student Health Services
The students Health Center provides free consultation and first aid treatment of minor injuries and sickness. It also provides first aid treatment to emergency cases.A doctor and a nurse supervise the health center. The Health Center also conducts programs and activities for health awareness.
- Hostel Facilities
The university offers housing for international students and out-of-Dhaka students. There are separate housing for male and female.
- Security Services
The university is physically secured and protected by a security force. The security force is equipped with state of the art gadgets for the purpose of fulfilling their duties. CCTV to monitor student activities surround the premises.
Extra curricular activities
AIUB is one of the only five universities from Bangladesh who have participated in the maximum level of ACM International Collegiate Programming Contest (ACM ICPC) commonly known as ACM ICPC World Final. In 2001, AIUB qualified for the world final through Wild Card by securing second place in ACM ICPC Kanpur Site regional. Office of Student Affairs (OSA) looks after the extra curricular activities of the student community through student organizations like: AIUB ARTS CLUB first organised "AIUB ARTS CLUB Presents 1st Inter Private University Art Exhibition- 2012" Unleashing Imagination at Dhaka Art Center. "Team Rapture" from AIUB win the Microsoft Imagine Cup(Peoples choice award ) in 2011.
The Office of Student Affairs (OSA) encourages students to take part in different clubs and organization that exists in its arena:
- AIUB Alumini Association
- AIUB ACM Club
- AIUB ARTS CLUB (AAC)
- AIUB Business Club (ABC)
- AIUB Computer Club (ACC)
- AIUB Cricket Team
- AIUB Oratory Club (AOC)
- AIUB Drama Club (ADC)
- AIUB Film Club (AFC)
- AIUB Foreign Students Association (AFSA)
- AIUB Cyber Gaming Club (ACGC)
- AIUB Performing Arts Club (APAC)
- AIUB Photography Club (AIUBPC)
- AIUB Social Welfare Club 'Shomoy'
- AIUB Software Development Club
- Duke of Edinburg Award Program
- ESAB AIUB Student Branch
- AIESEC in AIUB
- IEEE, AIUB Branch
- AIUB Society for Human Resource (HR Society)
The international Relations and Affiliations that AIUB presently has are with other associations and universities in countries, namely:
- Memberships of the University
- University Grants Commission Bangladesh (UGC)
- International Association of Universities (IAU)
- International Association of University Presidents (IAUP)
- American Association of University Administrators (AAUA)
- Asia Pacific Quality Network (APQN)
- American Chamber of Commerce in Bangladesh (AmCham)
- Association of Universities in the Asia & the Pacific (AUAP)
- Global University Network for Innovation (GUNI)
- Score recipients of GMAT and TOEFL with code 7067
- Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh (IEB)
- Institute of Architects Bangladesh (IAB)
AIUB is listed in the International University Handbook, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 editions by UNESCO
- An independent organization with its own Board of Trustees. "Overview of AIUB". Archived from the original on 12 February 2008. Retrieved 2008-03-10.
- Academic programs. "Degrees offered at present". Retrieved 2008-03-10.
- "Agribusiness MBA is offered for the first time in Bangladesh by AIUB.". The America's Intelligence Wire. May 6, 2003. Retrieved 2008-03-25.
- "Final Standing, ACM ICPC World Final 2002". Retrieved 2008-03-16.
- "ACM ICPC Kanpur Site regional standing 2001". Retrieved 2008-03-16.
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.