|Date of birth:||April 4, 1963|
|Place of birth:||Panama City, Florida|
|Height:||6 ft 3 in (1.91 m)|
|Weight:||222 lb (101 kg)|
|High school:||Panama City (FL) Rutherford|
|NFL draft:||1986 / Round: 2 / Pick: 48|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics
Stats at NFL.com
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
Alonzo Al Johnson (born April 4, 1963) is an American former college and professional football player who was a linebacker in the National Football League (NFL) for two seasons during the 1980s. Johnson played college football for the University of Florida, and was recognized as an All-American. He was a second-round pick in the 1986 NFL Draft, and played professionally for the Philadelphia Eagles of the NFL.
Johnson accepted an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Charley Pell and coach Galen Hall's Florida Gators football teams from 1982 to 1985. Johnson was a key member of the Gators' defense in 1984 and 1985 when the Gators posted identical 9–1–1 overall win-loss records and led the Southeastern Conference (SEC) with best-in-the-conference records of 5–0–1 and 5–1, respectively. He was a first-team All-SEC selection and a first-team All-American in 1984 and 1985, and also a team captain both years. He finished his four-year college career with 335 tackles, fifty-five tackles for a loss and twenty-seven quarterback sacks.
Johnson was later voted to the Florida Gators' All-Century Team and All-Time Team, and inducted into the University of Florida Athletic Hall of Fame as a "Gator Great." In 2006 he was ranked as No. 35 among the top 100 Gators of the first century of Florida football by the sportswriters of The Gainesville Sun.
Johnson was selected by the Philadelphia Eagles in the second round (forty-eighth pick overall) of the 1986 NFL Draft, and he played for the Eagles from 1986 to 1987. As a rookie, he played in fifteen games and started nine of them at rightside linebacker, with three interceptions. He left the Eagles before the beginning of the 1987 season in order to enter a drug rehabilitation program, and subsequently only played in three games for the Eagles in 1987. He was placed on the non-football injury list in December 1987, and did not play again.
- 1984 College Football All-America Team
- 1985 College Football All-America Team
- Florida Gators football, 1980–89
- List of Florida Gators football All-Americans
- List of Florida Gators football players in the NFL
- List of Philadelphia Eagles players
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Alonzo Johnson. Retrieved July 8, 2010.
- databaseFootball.com, Players, Alonzo Johnson. Retrieved June 4, 2010.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 87, 92, 96, 98, 124, 153, 182 (2011). Retrieved August 29, 2011.
- F Club, Hall of Fame, Gator Greats. Retrieved December 14, 2014.
- "Nine Former Gators Named to UF Hall of Fame," GatorZone.com (April 4, 2002). Retrieved July 21, 2011.
- Robbie Andreu & Pat Dooley, "No. 35 Alonzo Johnson," The Gainesville Sun (July 30, 2006). Retrieved April 2, 2013.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Draft History, 1986 National Football Draft. Retrieved April 17, 2011.
- National Football League, Historical Players, Alonzo Johnson. Retrieved May 21, 2010.
- Associated Press, "Eagle Reportedly Seeks Drug Help," The New York Times (August 30, 1987). Retrieved May 21, 2010.
- Associated Press, "New setback for ex-Gator Alonzo Johnson," The Gainesville Sun, p. 9E (December 6, 1987). Retrieved May 12, 2011.
- Carlson, Norm, University of Florida Football Vault: The History of the Florida Gators, Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia (2007). ISBN 0-7948-2298-3.
- Golenbock, Peter, Go Gators! An Oral History of Florida's Pursuit of Gridiron Glory, Legends Publishing, LLC, St. Petersburg, Florida (2002). ISBN 0-9650782-1-3.
- Hairston, Jack, Tales from the Gator Swamp: A Collection of the Greatest Gator Stories Ever Told, Sports Publishing, LLC, Champaign, Illinois (2002). ISBN 1-58261-514-4.
- McCarthy, Kevin M., Fightin' Gators: A History of University of Florida Football, Arcadia Publishing, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina (2000). ISBN 978-0-7385-0559-6.
- Nash, Noel, ed., The Gainesville Sun Presents The Greatest Moments in Florida Gators Football, Sports Publishing, Inc., Champaign, Illinois (1998). ISBN 1-57167-196-X.