|All Dogs Go to Heaven: The Series|
This title card of the animated series is in the intro.
|Created by||Don Bluth|
|Directed by||John Grusd
Charles Nelson Reilly
|Country of origin||USA|
|No. of seasons||3|
|No. of episodes||40 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||22 min|
|Distributor||MGM Worldwide Television Distribution
Claster Television, Inc.
|Original channel||First-run syndication (1996-1997)
Fox Family (1998-1999)
Cartoon Network (1999-2000)
|Original run||September 21, 1996– November 6, 1998|
All Dogs Go to Heaven: The Series is an animated television series which aired from 1996 to 1998 in syndication and on the Fox Family Channel from 1998 to 1999, with 41 half-hour episodes produced in total. It aired on Cartoon Network in 1999 to 2000. It was produced by MGM Animation and was distributed by Claster Television. Don Bluth’s 1989 animated feature All Dogs Go to Heaven featured a roguish German Shepherd named Charlie who died, went to heaven, conned his way back to Earth for vengeance on his killer Carface and then found redemption through a little orphaned girl named Ann-Marie. The film was popular with audiences, spawning a sequel, All Dogs Go to Heaven 2 and this animated series.
The theme song for the series is "A Little Heaven", written by Lorraine Feather and Mark Watters. The singers were Gene Miller of Nashville, Clydene Jackson-Edwards and Carmen Twillie. Most of the voice actors from the feature films reprised their roles in the series, including Dom DeLuise, Ernest Borgnine, Charles Nelson Reilly, Bebe Neuwirth, Sheena Easton and Adam Wylie. Steven Weber provided the voice of Charlie B. Barkin, who was voiced in the films by Burt Reynolds and Charlie Sheen.
The series makes several changes to the second film. For example, Charlie and Sasha were shown as being together at the end of the second film, however, in the series, they seem to have never had a first date together. Also, in the second film, Itchy decides to stay in Heaven, but he is alive in the series, although it becomes clear later in the series why he is on Earth instead of being in Heaven. Charlie and Itchy live in San Francisco as guardian angels, being told of their missions by Anabelle. The series is a family sitcom, with Charlie and Itchy becoming embroiled in several misadventures in each episode, while trying to do the right thing. Charlie’s villainous rival Carface and his sidekick, Killer, also appeared in the series, as did Charlie’s dog friends, Sasha and Annabelle. The series also featured an antagonist named Belladonna, Annabelle's demonic cousin.
- Charlie B. Barkin (voiced by Steven Weber) - A German Shepherd who is the main protagonist of the series. His job as a guardian angel is to stop trouble, however he is constantly creating it as well. He seems to like double chili cheeseburgers. Charlie still has his deep crush on Sasha.
- Itchy Itchiford (voiced by Dom DeLuise) - A Dachshund who is Charlie's sidekick. He frequently serves as the voice of Charlie's much-ignored voice of reason.
- Annabelle (voiced by Bebe Neuwirth) - The archangel Whippet. Annabelle pops up in the series on a regular basis to give Charlie and Itchy their assignments.
- Sasha La Fleur (voiced by Sheena Easton) - The Irish setter. At the end of All Dogs Go to Heaven 2, she and Charlie are implicitly married. In the series by contrast, she is Charlie's on-and-off girlfriend. Sasha has kiss Charlie a number of times though. Sasha loves Charlie no matter what and She is the owner of The Flea Bite.
- David (voiced by Adam Wylie) - Also returning from All Dogs Go to Heaven 2, he is Charlie, Itchy and Sasha's close human friend who often suffers the consequences of Charlie's ill-conceived attempts to help him with his problems. Notably, he is not Charlie and Sasha's owner, even though he became their master at the end of the second film.
- Winnifred Bessimay de Winkerville The Cocker Spaniel, who prefers to be called "Bess", as opposed to her long-winded full name (voiced by Tress MacNeille) - She is Itchy's girlfriend in the series, having met him in "Cyrano de Barkinac". She seems to be unaware of Itchy's angelic activities, unlike Sasha, who is well aware of both dogs' exploits.
- Carface Carruthers (voiced by Ernest Borgnine) - A Pit bull/Bulldog hybrid who is one of the main antagonists of the series. He runs a curio shop in the same building where he and Red, (who doesn't appear in the series,) ran their shady business in All Dogs Go to Heaven 2.
- Killer (voiced by Charles Nelson Reilly) - A Schnauzer/Poodle hybrid and Carface's long suffering sidekick.
- The Mean Street Dogs - A pack of Carface's thugs from New Orleans who bear particular animosity towards Charlie.
- Otto (voiced by Carlos Alazraqui) - Leader of the Mean Street Dogs.
- Belladonna (also voiced by Bebe Neuwirth) - A demon Whippet who is Annabelle's cousin and an expert electric guitarist. She serves as one of the main antagonists of the series.
- Gerta The Pekingese (voiced by Tress MacNeille) - A waitress at The Flea Bite. She is Sasha's friend and confidant.
Principal voice actors
- Ernest Borgnine - Carface Caruthers
- Dom DeLuise - Itchy Itchiford
- Sheena Easton - Sasha LaFleur
- Bebe Neuwirth - Annabelle, Belladonna
- Charles Nelson Reilly - Killer
- Steven Weber - Charlie B. Barkin
- Carlos Alazraqui - Otto, Carlos, Pierre, Jeremy, Toodles, Spike
- Dee Bradley Baker -
- Mark Benninghofen - Lance
- Sheryl Bernstein -
- Susanne Blakeslee -
- Clancy Brown - J.C. Taggart
- Max Brooks -
- Jack Carter -
- Dan Castellaneta -
- Toran Caudell -
- Glenndon Chatman -
- Jesse David Corti -
- Jamie Cronin -
- Mary-Ellen Dunbar -
- R. Lee Ermey - Sgt. Yorkie
- Blake Ewing -
- Cameron Finley -
- John Forsythe -
- Bernard Fox -
- Brad Garrett - Monster Charlie
- Alice Ghostley -
- Dean Haglund -
- Jess Harnell -
- Billie Hayes -
- Sherman Howard -
- Kathy Ireland -
- Brandan Kaplan -
- Carol Kane -
- David Kaufman -
- Whitney Clare Kaufman -
- Tom Kenny - Colonel Dijon, Podsnap
- Charles Kimbrough -
- Kathy Kinney -
- Maurice LaMarche -
- Andrew Lawrence -
- Clea Lewis -
- Steve Mackall -
- Tress MacNeille - Winnifred Bessimay de Winkerville, Gerta
- Megan Malanga -
- Arthur Malet -
- Danny Mann -
- Andrea Martin -
- Paige Moss -
- Randy Peterson -
- Kevin Quinn -
- Dee Dee Rescher -
- Kevin Michael Richardson - Manfred
- Alex Rocco -
- Stephen Root - Armacost
- Lindsay Schnebly -
- Susan Silo -
- Natasha Slayton -
- Tara Strong -
- Cree Summer -
- Hannah Swanson -
- Ashley Tisdale -
- Tim Van Pelt -
- Elmarie Wendel -
- Billy West -
- April Winchell - Tiffany, Winnerfred Bessimay de Winkerville
- Adam Wylie - David
- Russell Young -
- Maria Estrada - Casting and Voice Director
- Gene Miller - Theme Song Performer
- Clydene Jackson Edwards - Theme Song Performer
- Carmen Twillie - Theme Song Performer
Home video history
In the 1990s, several VHS editions of the series were released, each containing two episodes. In 2006, two volumes of the series were released by MGM Home Entertainment, each containing four episodes. The entire series is available for digital download on iTunes, available for free on hulu.com, In Spring 2011, the entire series became available on the website YouTube through MGM Digital Media.
- United States
- All Dogs Go to Heaven: Complete Season One
- All Dogs Go to Heaven: Complete Season Two
- All Dogs Go to Heaven: Complete Season Three
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: All Dogs Go to Heaven: The Series|
- All Dogs Go to Heaven: The Series at the Internet Movie Database
- All Dogs Go to Heaven: The Series at TV.com
A portion of the proceeds from advertising on Digplanet goes to supporting Wikipedia.